Stock Heat Shield and/or SPT Turbo Heat Shield SOA8431100

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Stock Heat Shield and/or SPT Turbo Heat Shield SOA8431100

Post by kleinkid »

I am thinking of removing the oil catch can I currently have installed, which is located aft and outboard of the turbo(VF-12). I am using the FXT'06 TMIC. The reason I would remove the oil catch can is to make room to use the SPT Turbo Heat Shield. Can you think of a good reason it would not fit? Currently there is no shielding at all between the turbo and the IC. It bolts to the IC.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/popu ... p?pID=1168
Last edited by kleinkid on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

Can you fit the stock Chiminey "heat sheild" in there, or does the '06 IC get in the way?

My modified stock chiminey works Very well. (covered the inside with blingy Gold foil - blocks radiant heat) And a benefit of the stock piece is that is diverts heat up and away from everything expelling hot air towards the scoop. The foil really did cut down heat transfer through the sheild.

Other than that it looks like the SPT sheild should fit - and probably help you by keeping some additional heat off of the IC.
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Nice helper boy!

John, this Kito Sport design might be a little easier to handle with the '06 TMIC set up b/c I don't thing there's room for the chiminey to go back after that. The IC is too far over to left...

And this is much smaller and companct than the SPT model. You could attact to IC flange and just let it float out there. OR you could do one of your patented bracket jobs...

Let us know how it turns out!

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1360817

Kitos is in Ballard. And if you come in to get one, let me know and we can meet up for lunch.

Cheers,
AW
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

turbo heat shield

Post by kleinkid »

The heat stack off of the VF-11 would be in the way of the IC. The bracket for the heatstack will fit on the VF-12. What I am thinking about doing is to cut the top of the heat stack off, fabricate a piece to close the top off, and weld or rivet it on. That foil on the inside looks like a good idea. Where did you get that? I like the looks of the SPT turbo heat shield, its made for the '06 IC, and costs about what the Kito one costs. I removed the oil catch can, and plumbed the vent lines back to the air intake. Its location was really preventing me from shielding the turbo from the IC. I decided it was more important to take care of heatsoak to the IC than to have an oil catch can. After I get my David Carter hood installed the IC will have even better flow through it.
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Wow, where did you get the hood?
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

hood

Post by kleinkid »

I bought Mr. Carter's last "show" hood. It was damaged during shipment, Federal Express shipped it back to him, he shipped it back to me with parts to repair it. I have had it for about 18mos. and will soon be ready to have it repaired, painted, and installed.
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

I got the foil here
http://storesense.megawebservers.com/HS ... Detail.bok

Enjunki racing.

One of the best prices I found. The 2ft piece did the sheild, some intake plumbing, and the resonator (with some still left over)

And you are correct the chiminey brackets fit the VF12 (I have a VF12 under mine as well) - I just didn't know how far over the '06 IC went. Your idea of modifying the stock chiminey sounds like a good one.

Thanks AW - he's my little helper alright!

-Chad
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

John,

If you get the SPT heat shield, can you take some better pictures of it?

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Yes, second that. Would be great to see a write up of how you got it to work. Pics of brackets et al...

Good luck!
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

decapitated stock chimney

Post by kleinkid »

What I have done to this point is as follows. With the IC installed, I took some measurements and determined how much of the stock heat shield chimney I could cut off the top so it would fit under the IC, in other words, with the IC installed. Layed out the cut line on the heatshield and used my sawzall to shorten the top section off. Had a plate welded on the top to cover the hole. Used a ceramic spray primer and ceramic black paint to paint it. I even riveted the "HOT do not touch" label plate onto the top. I did order some of that gold reflective film, to line the inside, and am waiting for it to arrive before I check fit the decapitated chimney. The IC has to be removed to install the shield onto the turbo. Using the measure once, cut twice, and it is still too short methodology, I hope it isn't so short that it interferes with any of the turbo parts. I am thinking about the wastegate actuator rod, etc. Oh well, if it is a problem, I'll start over, or modify to fit. I removed the oil catch can, by the way. Will have to see how this works, fits, etc., then decide if an SPT shield would be another way to go, or additional shield.

Last edited by kleinkid on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Oh, that's a good idea. Cap the chimney and deflect the heat. Interesting. Pics please!
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

edit pic added decapitated chimney installed with IC

Post by kleinkid »

EDIT: more info below.

I installed the heat shield with the stack cut off, and it fits great. It is 1.25" from the IC and .25" from the waste gate acutator rod. I did line the inside of the heat shield with gold reflective film, purchased from www.pegasusracing.com $29.95 for 1" X 2" piece, and used about a third of it.

Don't think I will proceed with obtaining and check fitting the SPT turbo heat shield, but may, if I run accross a used one for a good price.

Last edited by kleinkid on Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

pics of heat shield installed

Post by kleinkid »

Updated with pics.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Looks pretty cool
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Yeah, this rocks! Thanks for the write-up and photos.
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

edit to view pics easier
Dr. Gonzo
First Gear

Post by Dr. Gonzo »

Thats the cleanest TMIC I've ever scene :shock:
Nice install, looks factory, fresh off the assembly line factory...
04 Forester XTi VF39, TMIC, 3" exhaust, COBB accessport
92 Legacy L wagon 5 spd, 266K miles
83 wagon SOLD
04 STi COBB stage 2 & wingless SOLD
92 Legacy SS 5MT-TD04,TMIC, 3"exhaust SOLD
00 Legacy GT wagon 5spd SOLD
90 Legacy LSi wagon
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Thanks, I appreciate the nice comments. The great work done by many others on this forum inspire me to do well also.
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

John's my engine-bay guru!

Hey folks, I have a modded chimney/heat shield just like Keinkid's that I'm selling. It has the NASCAR tape lining and everything - just not the don't touch placard. PM if you are interested and I can send you pics/price...

Cheers,
AW
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stock Heat Shield and/or SPT Turbo Heat Shield SOA843110

Post by Legacy777 »

John,

Any chance you can update your pic link? The old one no longer works. I'd be happy to host the pics if you'd like.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re:

Post by Legacy777 »

farfrumwork wrote:I got the foil here
http://storesense.megawebservers.com/HS ... Detail.bok

Enjunki racing.

One of the best prices I found. The 2ft piece did the sheild, some intake plumbing, and the resonator (with some still left over)

And you are correct the chiminey brackets fit the VF12 (I have a VF12 under mine as well) - I just didn't know how far over the '06 IC went. Your idea of modifying the stock chiminey sounds like a good one.

Thanks AW - he's my little helper alright!

-Chad

Chad,

How has the gold foil held up? Looks like Enjuku Racing's site moved.

http://www.enjukuracing.com/products/Go ... -Film.html

From their site it notes a continuous operating temp of 450 deg C, which is about 840 deg F. I need to check and see what kind of ambient temps I'm seeing on the turbo, but I would assume it's less than that. I want to line the inside of the WRX heat shield I have and see how it works.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/produ ... oduct=1838

This is where I got gold heat reflector material. 24"W X per foot $29
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks John.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well I ended up getting the stuff from DEI since its continual temp is about 200 deg F higher than the stuff from Pegasus.

Just a tip for anyone applying either of these, it works better to use smaller pieces so you can conform it to the shapes and bends better. I used a larger piece initially and it was difficult dealing with the changes in shape. A little wooden roller wheel works good to make sure the adhesive is stuck good.

Here's pics of my heat shield.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... pdswap/19/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT