possible y pipe solution for 06 wrx tmic users

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

know1
Second Gear

possible y pipe solution for 06 wrx tmic users

Post by know1 »

Like those who are using it know, to use an 06 wrx/fxt intercooler you need to modify an 02 wrx y pipe because the angle of the bend to the turbo outlet on an 06 wrx y pipe doesn't work as well. While searching ebay for a samco y pipe for an 02 wrx i bumped into this

ebay link

I think that this could work REALLY well for all of us because it has the best of both worlds. It is basically an 02 wrx y pipe (but metal like the sti one!) that has been cut so it can be extended to fit an 06 wrx intercooler with the 90* bend that an 02 wrx y pipe has so it plumbs up to our turbos nicely. Before I dive into buying this, however, I was hoping a few other people can take a look at it and tell me if they see and potential problems.
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
NuclearBacon
Second Gear

Post by NuclearBacon »

does it look like the guy only has one? this might be a very cool idea!!!

i saw the back of an intercooler for sale (i think) with this setup installed, and saw the extension piece on the metal y pipe... thought to myself... what the....

I think you'd still need the 45 degree bend off the y-pipe, but you dont need to source the 90 degree silicone pipe like i just paid 22 bucks for! (incld shipping)

Cool find! (and i wont snake it from you on ebay ;) )
-Luigi-
....Yes like nintendo
1987 GL10 Sedan 3.700 LSD
1988 XT6 FT4WD 3.900 Diff Lock
1992 EJ22T Touring Wagon 5MT Swap 4.111
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Wow that's genius. It would work perfectly if you have a turbo with the 90* bend. For the VF11 you'd probably have to buy another 90* bend just to get it to mount properly. No big deal though...
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
TireIron
In Neutral

Post by TireIron »

I've seen those all over ebay, they are very common and seem like a very good piece especially if you get a used intercooler with no inlet flanges, you dont have to source the 2 small flanges because they are part of this.
92 legacy turbo auto awd, no mods yet

96 svx, still a baby
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

Good idea, I bought one from this seller last week. :lol:
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

awesome! I just wanted to double check with the community in case I missed something that would make it not work in our vehicles. I am going to buy this very soon!
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

ok ok, so I've ordered my y pipe and some couplers. When it arrives I am going to be doing a full write up on the install of a USDM td04 and an 06 wrx intercooler. I know that many have been done but I am hoping to answer questions that I have not been able to find answers to. Lot's of pics and hopefully some video.
PhilSine
First Gear

Post by PhilSine »

I have that same pipe on my 98 OBS. I bought it because I could better modify it to fit what I have. It works well.
91 Legacy SS
98 OBS-T
BlockerImp
First Gear

Post by BlockerImp »

know1 wrote:ok ok, so I've ordered my y pipe and some couplers. When it arrives I am going to be doing a full write up on the install of a USDM td04 and an 06 wrx intercooler. I know that many have been done but I am hoping to answer questions that I have not been able to find answers to. Lot's of pics and hopefully some video.
Please do this, I have a td04 and a 06 intercooler just waiting to get put on, but im a novice when it comes to monkey wrenching and would love to have some kind of guide to look to when doing so.
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

OK, so if I put this on: a 06TMIC with the Y-pipe as shown

with a TD04, I will still need to modify something with the Y-pipe?

I'm confused, help!

1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
BlockerImp
First Gear

Post by BlockerImp »

ok, well i just went through and bought one also. If the OP doesnt come through with journaling the install, ill try to do what he planned on doing, and take pics and get it installed.
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

Scotty, yes, the Y pipe inlet will not line up with turbo outlet.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

...................................................why dont you just use the Y pipe that is on the intercooler.

ugh whatever
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

because everything I have read says that using a stock 06 y pipe doesn't work so well because of the angle of the end of the y pipe. Like I stated in my opening message
BlockerImp
First Gear

Post by BlockerImp »

ok, well my y pipe is gonna be here this thursday, so im clearing out my schedule next week on monday-tuesday to get this in. The TD04 is not going in just yet.
BlockerImp
First Gear

Post by BlockerImp »

ok, my Y-Pipe just came in the mail. Im very pleased with the quality, ill be sure to do a write up of my install.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

know1 wrote:because everything I have read says that using a stock 06 y pipe doesn't work so well because of the angle of the end of the y pipe. Like I stated in my opening message
cut the end that is shaped like a J back to 45* rather than 90 and you are golden.
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

So correct me if I'm wrong, but you paid $60 for the part & $30 for shipping (according to the eBay auction details). So $90 for an intercooler y-pipe? A little too salty on the wallet for my taste. Looks like a nice product, but there has to be a less expensive option out there.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

dropdfocus wrote:So correct me if I'm wrong, but you paid $60 for the part & $30 for shipping (according to the eBay auction details). So $90 for an intercooler y-pipe? A little too salty on the wallet for my taste. Looks like a nice product, but there has to be a less expensive option out there.
know1 wrote:because everything I have read says that using a stock 06 y pipe doesn't work so well because of the angle of the end of the y pipe. Like I stated in my opening message
cut the end that is shaped like a J back to 45* rather than 90 and you are golden.

there is your 06 TMIC Y solution........
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

I understand what option you are giving, but I'm sure someone some where has a less expensive option to the $90 part people are buying.
Jason
'92 LSS "Trixie" - TD04, '06 WRX TMIC, Invidia D/P & TXS U/P, 3" APEX'i CBE, custom intake, TXS MBC & BPV
Perrin LCP, WRX & H6 brakes, S/S lines, Cusco H-brace & RSTB, AGX's, Progress springs, SimplySubie fender braces
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

dropdfocus wrote:I understand what option you are giving, but I'm sure someone some where has a less expensive option to the $90 part people are buying.
........my solution costs $0
i think you missed afew posts.

just to clarify doing what i said will enable you to use the stock 06 Y pipe.
dropdfocus
Fourth Gear

Post by dropdfocus »

Yes, I do understand that. But for those who may want the non-bendable higher flow piping, $90 seems pricey to me. That's all.
Jason
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

I spent that on a 06 wrx/forester xt prodrive silicone pipe.
SUBARUEHS Racing
BlockerImp
First Gear

Post by BlockerImp »

hey, know1 I met your room mate Ken today at the alki meet. Kinda cool how small of a subaru world it is. He approached me cause my of SS. Pretty cool guy. As for me i just got ahold of all the last parts i needed so looks like im going to start my 06 intercooler install tomorrow.
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

Haha, awesome man! I am looking forward to reading your write up ;)

Ken is a cool guy, sucks I didn't make it out.