Im finally intercooled

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BlockerImp
First Gear

Im finally intercooled

Post by BlockerImp »

Ok, well i got frustrated as hell trying to fit an 06 wrx intercooler to the damn vf11. So after running through it with my uncle and grandfather, we decided it was gonna be too much of a b*tch to fit in without some properly welded pipes. So we decided to make a plate and fitted it over one of the openings of the y pipe. So as of now, the hot side of the intercooler(nearest) to the turbo. Just has a plate covering it. Then we have 2 silicone hoses, and a mandrel bent pipe leading to the far side y pipe opening. I figured the worst that would happen is some pressure loss in the intercooler, and the car is running great. Havent gotten the MBC installed yet, but ill see how the car reacts to taht tomorrow, and ill also post some pictures.
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

So basically You cut the Performance of the intercooler in half for a little convience?

I fit an 06, it takes a little patience.
FastRust
BlockerImp
First Gear

Post by BlockerImp »

that looks like an 02-03 intercooler?? And you must have an automatic. plus you relocated your coolant resivoir. Also no bypass valve? or is that just showing how you had it set up.
scuzzy
Third Gear

Post by scuzzy »

if you think a top mount is hard, you should try AWIC.

for that matter, cutting corners for convenience will not get you where you want to be; it's best you sell and buy a geo metro or something (when it breaks, get another)
91 Legacy Wagon, Total Rally Car.

#82 M4 TRSCCA Rallycross

http://www.youtube.com/mobilepolice/
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

did you weld the plate on or just bolt in?
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
94SS_Canada
Third Gear

Post by 94SS_Canada »

We welded parts of it, Bolted it on, With gasket Sealer under neath, no air leaks.
FastRust
BlockerImp
First Gear

Post by BlockerImp »

it wasnt about cutting corners, it was about getting by. The molded plastic from the turbo outlet to the throtle body was cracked, and i need my car to get to work, so it was kind do or die situation. We didnt have the necessary pipe to make it work with both parts of the Y, so we just have one side connected for now. I have some mandrel bent pieces on the way so hopefully next week i can get it put in the way it should be. But as for now, im just glad my car run.(better than before to boot)

Also its just bolted in, Its about a 1/4" thick aluminum plate thats molded to the shape of the ypipe connection. Theres a gasket thats in between it also.
BXSS
Fourth Gear

Post by BXSS »

It's not the best set-up, but it could be worse.
As long as his plate seals the opening well I think he'll be OK, the old slanty TMICs have just 1 hotside inlet. That said 2 inlets are better than 1.
He just did what he had to do.....

Scuzzy was being smart but -
If you really want to go fast on the cheap in a sleeper & save on Gas costs get a 3cyl Chevy Sprint Turbo (the previous generation of the first Geo Metro) if you can find one.
An Eclipse turbo, Starion FMIC, MBC, intake/exhaust + a 35 shot of nitrous = 12 second quarter mile times in one of these (a friend had this set-up years ago)!
94 Legacy SS
96 Impreza OBS
99 Impreza OBS-T
04 Sienna XLE Limited AWD