New style / old style WRX intercooler questions....

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

GeneralDisorder
First Gear

New style / old style WRX intercooler questions....

Post by GeneralDisorder »

Can someone describe for me the relationship between the '07 Forester IC I have, and the WRX IC's? It's the plastic tank, narrow IC that fits better in the legacy turbo, but I'm having trouble figuring out which silicone y-pipe I need. They mostly seem to be for the older style IC where the ports are farther away (wider IC) and thus the y-pipe is longer. Can someone point me to one that is built for the shorter, new style IC I have? Am I looking for '08 and newer WRX parts? I'm confused......

I need a silicone y pipe that I can modify to work with the '07 Forester XT intercooler and a TD05-16G w/90 degree inlet. Would the multiple piece y-pipe's sold on ebay be easier to make fit?

GD
91 SS, 94 GT, 84 Wagon, 83 Hatch, 85 Brat.
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

i'm pretty sure you want a newer style specific y pipe which you will have to extend with a piece of pipe to reach your turbo outlet, i was looking for one but ended up going with a y pipe that i custom made out of stainless
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
GeneralDisorder
First Gear

Yeah - but where do I get one? All the one's I see are for the older style taller IC's. I'm still confused on the years the IC's were used on and I also have a feeling that a lot of these y-pipes are listed incorrectly for year fitment. Regardless I have yet to find a y-pipe made for an '07....

Can someone explain all this to me?

GD
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Haha! Did you see my thread? I believe we share the same problem.
Are the 02-05 WRX pipes different from the 06-07? I can't find any that are made for 06-07 specifically. Some say 02-05 and others say 02-06 but they all look identical. I think someone has made a mistake here.
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=37707
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

call perrin performance in oregon or check the website and tell the you want 07 specific, you can see pics on perrin's website
93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Watch out. Perrin lists their hose set for 06-07 for $159.99 and it only comes with the y pipe and throttle body pipe.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

Let me preface my helpful comment with a mini lecture. This question has been asked and answered many times. A search of topics on this website will provide the answer. Yes, you will have to read a lot to pick out what you want, but you will find it, and learn a lot of other stuff along the way. So, just get a '02-'05 WRX silicone y -pipe, used is certainly cheaper than new. You will have to cut it and add a hard pipe section to get the leg off of the turbo right. You may also have to cut one of the legs going to the IC to get it to fit nicely there. When you have the y-pipe and IC in hand together it will become clearer what you need to do.

The problem with the '06-'0? silicone y-pipe is that the the leg off of the turbo has a crook or angle that is not helpful.

Here is a picture of mine.

GeneralDisorder
First Gear

Thank you for answering my question and the picture is very helpful.

I do understand the need to search and I've had the IC and the turbo for over 6 months. I've searched and read many, many posts on here and never have I found a direct answer or a picture that addressed the question in a straightforward manner. Sure some say "I used (insert brand here) and it worked great with a few modifications!"...... but you see how useless that is don't you?

I understand the need to search and to remind folks of the feature.... I have over 10,000 posts on the USMB and I routinely tell people to search for stuff, and even give them the proper terminology to search for and who's posts to pay attention to. But the search function for LC seems to be worse than some other forums. I don't post questions on a whim - I only post when I have exhausted my search options and haven't come up with a consistent, accurate answer.

It's not that the searches didn't have infomation, it's that there are obviously multiple ways to do it and I was looking for the most direct - the '06 and up IC's haven't been around long and thus the info is very mixed in with the older style IC's. There are also a lot of "kids" around here that half-a$$ stuff and not having been here all that long I don't know who is who.

GD
kleinkid
Fourth Gear

Post by kleinkid »

OK.

I used a silicone joiner, like this one

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/index.ph ... dbcc79081c

and another piece of silicone hose, on that one leg to the IC.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

^

That right there is the basic idea behind any pipe setup for the plastic end tank intercooler. My install was done with a Prodrive Forester XT silicone pipe but I made the same modifications in the same spots. Lengthen in two places, add a second coupler and you're done.
SUBARUEHS Racing
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Will this work for a vf11?
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

There are other recent posts detailing what needs to be done to use a TMIC and VF11, for example this one. Basically, it's going to be a lot of work and you're better off upgrading the turbo to something like a cheap TD04.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Prodrive pipe

Basically, you cut it after the Y (allowing space on both sides of the cut for clamps), spin the final angle to point down instead of to the side, and use a length of 2" exhaust pipe to extend. The 90* to the turbo is best fitted with a stock STi red 90* elbow with 1/4" trimmed off the turbo side.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430