TMIC '06 with TD04 Y-pipe pics

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ScottyS
Second Gear

TMIC '06 with TD04 Y-pipe pics

Post by ScottyS »

EDIT: the stock 06 y-pipe mod shown here will get you running, but the plastic fatigues early. Make up your custom y-pipe based on this geometry....update soon.

I finished installing a TD04 and an 06 WRX intercooler. In order to make the y-pipe work, I did the mods shown in the photo, that is a 2" metal pipe section in the middle.

Cut your elbows long the first time!

Works great, just did the intake manifold gaskets and throttle body gasket as well as replace a bunch of vacuum lines. No more leaks, and 9-10psi.

Last edited by ScottyS on Thu Sep 17, 2009 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1991 SS build thread: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40430
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

nice clean. I'll be doing this in a week or so.
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Where did you get the elbows at?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

kimokalihi wrote:Where did you get the elbows at?
I cut up a cheesy aftermarket silicone Y-pipe to get the elbows. You could order some generic 2" stuff, a 90* and a 30* would probably do it. Plus the stock 06 pipe, of course - I cut it right on the top of the first bellow section below the junction.
Bdub
Second Gear

Post by Bdub »

That looks clean.

What did you use as a reducer for your BPV plate?
Through The Generations...
91 SS 4eat
95 LSi 4eat- Sold
07 2.5i 5mt- For Sale
13 STI Sedan
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Bdub wrote:That looks clean.

What did you use as a reducer for your BPV plate?
Some 100+psi 1.25" ID hose from the hardware store and a 1" to 1/2" PCV reducer with a short section of 1/2" PVC bent trap line. Not a long-term solution perhaps, but it got the job done until I can find the metal parts I want.
know1
Second Gear

Post by know1 »

do you have cruise control?
1994 Crimson Pearl SS [ td04, 06 fxt tmic,3" catless dp -> apex GT spec exhaust, EDM Tails ]
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

No, I don't have cruise with my JDM Legacy wheel ;-)

Update - this doesn't last, as the plastic Y-portion fatigues and eventually cracks. This gets you running, but only for a few hundred miles before boost leak.

I will update with my exact fix hopefully later this week.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

update?
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Yes. I used an all-silicone aftermarket y-pipe in place of the plastic one.

I had to cut it up to get the geometry correct, but the "Y" portion is intact. A couple pieces of 2" exhaust pipe cut to the correct lengths were needed to extend one arm and the portion down to the turbo.

I used an OEM STi 90* elbow for the turbo outlet, I just had to trim the turbo side a little shorter so that the plastic stop on the outside of the elbow cleared the IAC stuff.

I used some Constant Torque clamps from NAPA for this, they are very nice, but $6 each!

No pics right now cause it's all in the car, but next time I take it out I'll photograph it.

I also bought a Prodrive silicone Y (for an FXT or 06 WRX) from Cosworth on eBay for $60, so I have a backup. With this Y, all I would need to do is cut halfway down the angled extension to the turbo, turn that 180* over so that it points down instead of to the side (splicing with a 3" length of 2" exhaust pipe), and then add a length of 2" exhaust pipe down to my STi 90* elbow.
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

I just got my 07 tmic & td05 installed this weekend. Working on writing up a guide with lots of pics soon.

Silicone y-tubing is THE way to go.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

so...like this one

instead of this one

i need to know which one to buy b/c i just bought a td04 to swap out my vf11 with.

the thing that sucks is you have to buy the whole kit with these, not just the y pipe itself.

ScottyS:

do you have any pictures of the actual silicone Y pipe you used?
or i guess just verify that this one below (the y pipe) looks like what you used:

the huge Y pipe on the bottom is the one
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

OK, here is a diagram of what I am talking about with the FXT pipe. I have NOT cut mine up yet, as my other silicone Y is working fine, but this solution would be a bit cleaner than my first go-around.

Here is the one I bought (or search the Costworth site for the Prodrive FXT y-pipe): ebay link

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

ugh someone bought that one.

thanks alot for the diagram that helps a ton :D

do you know where else i could find one?

i checked on both the cosworth site and ebay
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

ok nevermind i found an entire kit shipped for seventy.

woo!... not that i need anything but the y pipe :)
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

ScottyS: That y-pipe diagram no longer works. Do you have any pictures of what you ended up with now?

~9 months later, my cutting job on the 02-05 Samco hose was apparently too short. The y portion of the hose is slipping off the 2" exhaust tubing from the turbo. Just not enough material there anymore for the t-clamp to bite into. Wasn't a problem the past ~8 months, but is suddenly now. Go figure.

Thinking of going with the Samco 06-07 TMIC hose this time

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

I don't have a pic immediately available, basically I used the middle-"Y" portion of the 06-07 Prodrive hose and had to extend one side and also the turbo leg with 2" pipe. A stock STi 90* or 4-5-ply eBay 90* both work on the turbo side.

It's solid now, I use the NAPA constant-torque clamps. Expensive, but worth it.

Mine used to get slick from oil vapor getting recirculated from the PCV system, but since I put a modified air compressor filter inline, my intake's been dry as a bone.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Would you show us (pics and details) on how you put in that inline filter, please?
'94 TW
ScottyS
Second Gear

Post by ScottyS »

Pics not for a while, I've been meaning to shoot the mods in the engine bay next time I have things apart. Basically, I put the little glass bowl filters for an air compressor inline with the PCV and the valve breathers right before they go back into the intake. I also drilled a couple of small holes in the filter element to allow full airflow, but still require the air to change direction several times in the process. This seems to be enough to get the oil out, as it has been collecting at the bottom of the glass bowls.

I used the air compressor filters in the tool section of Home Depot, and the approximate-sized NPT fittings for the hose diameter.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Thanks for that explanation. It helped me understand better what you did. And, whenever you can get pics of it, that would be sweet!
'94 TW