Do I need a different intake manifold?

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Do I need a different intake manifold?

Post by kimokalihi »

I was about to put my intake manifold back on my EJ20H DOHC motor but I thought I would test fit the 06 TMIC and the Samco silicone piping I bought. Good thing too, because it doesn't fit.

I'm not sure what this little electrical thing is, maybe an IAC? But it's completely in the way of the WRX BPV I have. I don't even think you could rig up an adapter and a hose instead of mounting the BPV there. There's just not enough room.

Which intake am I looking for then? Anybody know which DOHC intake manifold will clear the BPV on the 06 TMIC? and fit my EJ20H motor?

Here are the shots of the test fitment with the EJ20H manifold.

Here's the pictures from the EJ20G manifold.

Last edited by kimokalihi on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

that other manifold is not the ej22t manifold... its actually an ej20g manifold. looks like you'd have an easier time using the 20g manifold
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

With that intercooler, you might look at a EJ25D manifold. I believe it's the only phase 1 DOHC manifold with the IAC in the same place as the EJ22T. It has EGR in that location, but you'll be making a block-off plate...so it might clear.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

jake15 wrote:that other manifold is not the ej22t manifold... its actually an ej20g manifold. looks like you'd have an easier time using the 20g manifold
Is it really? It's the one that came with your car, lol.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

So if that's an Ej20G manifold you had on this car, which wiring harness was zip tied to it?
jake15
Fourth Gear

Post by jake15 »

kimokalihi wrote: Is it really? It's the one that came with your car, lol.
yes, it goes with those 20g heads that came with the car as well.
kimokalihi wrote:So if that's an Ej20G manifold you had on this car, which wiring harness was zip tied to it?
it has a 1992 turbo legacy harness on it, thats why i sent you that 91 intake manifold harness because the plugs are different. you need to put the intake manifold harness i sent you on whatever intake manifold you end up using
90' legacy built ej257 gt30r 6spd r180 and brembos Bitches 402whp @22psi :D -sexy red
94' Impreza wagon AWD 2.2ltr rally wagon FTW!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Alright, thank you. I'll use the EJ20G intake. Do you know which is better, the EJ20G Heads you gave me or the EJ20H?
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I ask because I have both and after doing the leak down test 3 cylinders had around 20-25% leakage and then the number 2 cylinder has a really bad exhaust valve leak 70%. It's shooting tons of air through the exhaust valve and I took the valve cover off and the lobe is not even pushing the bucket in at all.

So maybe I could bolt up the EJ20G heads and run the EJ20G intake? Which means I have to buy new head gaskets.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I've been looking for an EJ25D intake manifold to clear that WRX BPV and a guy told me he has a manifold off an 05 sti. Which I assume won't work with my EJ20H.

Right?
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Correct. USDM WRX and STI intake manifolds are too new and will not bolt to the Phase 1 DOHC heads.

Do you plan on running custom EVAP, PCV, AIC, and vaccuum lines?

I have an EJ25D intake manifold w/fuel lines and rails, but nothing else.

I was going to use it as a mock-up for my DOHC thread, but make an offer if you can't find something locally. I have a theory that the EJ25D intake manifold *might* work with the stock EJ22T 'manifold accessories'.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Problem is, I have close to no idea what I'm doing here. All I know is that neither the EJ20G manifold nor the EJ20H manifold that I have will clear the WRX BPV and from the looks of the pictures I've seen of the EJ25D it appears as if I wouldn't have this problem if I used the EJ25D manifold. But I don't even know what all the electrical stuff on the manifolds are and I'm definately not firmilliar enough with this engine to know where all the vacuum lines and stuff go.

I'm just trying to get around one problem at a time and the thing that's stopping me from progressing at this point is the clearance issue with the two manifolds I have.

I also don't know the value of the different manifolds. I'm pretty lost.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I don't have the EJ22T manifold or engine either so I guess I need everything that goes with the manifold unless I can use either the EJ20G or the EJ20H parts.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Give me a few days and I'll accelerate my expirement.

I don't have a '06-'07 WRX intercooer, but I do have an '02-'05. Should be pretty close as far as the BPV is concerned.

If everything works out, we can discuss further.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Sounds good thanks.
RJ93SS
Third Gear

Post by RJ93SS »

what i would do is just make a custom ss plate with a nipple facing up on an angle so you have clearence

kinda like this

93SS 04 wrx brakes/slotted w/ hawks--TD05 -- 06 I/C -- 20mm n/a fsb -- Stage 2 -- 550's -- Perrin DIV DP -- 2-3/4 Tit Exhaust -- K&N -- C/C -- A/C Delete -- Grounded -- GT Leather Interior -- WRX/STI Strut Setup -- 17" 225's -- 2 Kids Seats ;)
impreza_GC8
First Gear

Post by impreza_GC8 »

My EJ20G intake manifold doesn't have issues clearing the BPV assembly, but I've got a TurboXS recirc. I know the car HAD at one time the stock BPV and it worked. Does your '20G manifold have the coil on top? Mine does and it works fine on the Phase1 EJ25 block halves I've got.
-'97 Outback - EJ25 block/pistons/HLA heads, EJ22T crank/rods/ECU, EJ20G intake manifold/fuel rails/440cc injectors, VF8 @ 11psi. . . . Fuel cut > me
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm pretty sure it does not have the coil pack mounting holes on top. There's no way you could get my EJ20G manifold to clear the BPV. There's a pipe right in the way.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

How complete is your EJ20G manifold?

Fuel rails, Idle-air pipe and hose, coolant tank and hoses, etc?

If it's complete enough for you to use I have an ej20G (slanty) intercooler, I will trade for your WRX one, if that's something your interested in?

I got a few pics of the EJ25D manifold w/WRX intercooler I'll post in a bit. Basically the throttlebody interferes with the WRX BPV, but a plate and hose might work. Everyone has thier own opinion of what is "right", but so far I'm not liking the way my theory is turning out.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I believe it's got everything.

I bought a plate last night off ebay and I think I'm gonna try the hose with the stock BPV. I don't have any money right now because I have to pay rent and insurance. Totally forgot to pay my rent.

Plus I think I have to get my heads worked on.