Trouble with TD04 and 06 TMIC install

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

cartwheels
Second Gear

Trouble with TD04 and 06 TMIC install

Post by cartwheels »

So my friend and I spent the weekend installing a TD04 and 06 TMIC in my car... most things went great aside from the F pipe and oil return line, but I thought I had most of it figured out.

When I went to test drive the car, a few odd things happened:

1. Steam from the up-pipe.

When my friend removed one of the coolant lines from the turbo, he left it on the edge of the up-pipe. We both thought that we caught the mistake fairly quickly, but from the amount of steam coming from the up-pipe it seems that a decent amount of coolant managed to find its way down the pipe. Not sure how much of an issue this presents, as I'm assuming it burned off when the car was idling. It stayed steamy for about 10 minutes though as I was letting the car idle for the first time, so I'm a little afraid that I could have done something seriously damaging in that time. (I'm definitely a noob).

2. Stumbling caused by (I'm assuming) a boost leak.

How does a car with a boost leak behave? My TD04 is running wastegate pressure as of now, because I just wanted to make sure everything worked. The turbo outlet to Y-pipe connector was kind of a pain, and it managed to blow off in the process of testing the car for the first time. Would a car leaking boost have trouble making it past 3k rpm under load? I just want to confirm that this is in fact the cause of my issue, and not some other horrific thing I accidentally did to my car in the process of installing the new parts.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow, as it's late and I am pretty frustrated. Thanks in advance guys.
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
1991 Legacy SS (finally got one!)
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Re: Trouble with TD04 and 06 TMIC install

Post by n2x4 »

cartwheels wrote: 1. Steam from the up-pipe.

When my friend removed one of the coolant lines from the turbo, he left it on the edge of the up-pipe. We both thought that we caught the mistake fairly quickly, but from the amount of steam coming from the up-pipe it seems that a decent amount of coolant managed to find its way down the pipe. Not sure how much of an issue this presents, as I'm assuming it burned off when the car was idling. It stayed steamy for about 10 minutes though as I was letting the car idle for the first time, so I'm a little afraid that I could have done something seriously damaging in that time. (I'm definitely a noob).
No big deal, just make sure you top off your coolant to replace what was lost.

cartwheels wrote: 2. Stumbling caused by (I'm assuming) a boost leak.

How does a car with a boost leak behave? My TD04 is running wastegate pressure as of now, because I just wanted to make sure everything worked. The turbo outlet to Y-pipe connector was kind of a pain, and it managed to blow off in the process of testing the car for the first time. Would a car leaking boost have trouble making it past 3k rpm under load? I just want to confirm that this is in fact the cause of my issue, and not some other horrific thing I accidentally did to my car in the process of installing the new parts.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow, as it's late and I am pretty frustrated. Thanks in advance guys.
If the y pipe pops off at wastegate boost - I'd say you didn't do a very good job sealing it up. Depending on how bad the leak is, it could be the cause of a failure to accelerate.

What did you do about the bypass valve? Either way, sounds like you've still got a lot of fixing to do on that y pipe. It takes a lot of work to make the plastic pipe work without leaks...
SUBARUEHS Racing
cartwheels
Second Gear

Post by cartwheels »

Cool, I'll try patching things up when it quits raining here. It was late last night and I was pretty frustrated, but I think with some more care on clamping down the Y pipe (it's silicone... the ebay kind) or maybe an extension to it, since it really seems to need a bit more length, I can get this to work.

I was just really alarmed by the steam, and worried that my troubles were more than the boost leak. If I still have problems after the leak is fixed, I'll post again and go from there.
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I could never imagine doing the IC without the silicone y pipe! Check out some of my pics.

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j202/ ... /?start=80

Bought my y pipe from ebay from a Canadian seller for $90 WELL worth it!
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
cartwheels
Second Gear

Post by cartwheels »

Eric... I bought the kit you were thinking about in your post here: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=40980

Its the blue elbow from the turbo outlet to the metal part of the Y pipe that's not long enough (fits over the turbo, and the bend is in the right place, but the other end going to the Y pipe is too short to fit snugly and pops off.)

Any suggestions for lengthening it? Probably just another piece of 2" ID silicone, a 2" metal coupler, and 2 more hose clamps yes?
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
cartwheels
Second Gear

Post by cartwheels »

Well, figured it all out. Ordered the pieces I discussed above, installed them... sure enough, fixing the one problem created another. I had cut my throttle body coupler short in my initial bid to fix the hose length problem, and now with the longer bottom hose it wasn't reaching. Another trip to siliconeintakes.com and another week of waiting, and I finally have the whole thing sorted. The car pulls fantastic and I cannot wait to get injectors and a Revtronics chip!
1994 Legacy TW
1993 Geo Tracker
RCKSTR
In Neutral

Post by RCKSTR »

seems like siliconeintakes.com is everyones fix for their problems lol, they've saved me more than once!
good luck man, hopefully you get everything figured out :-)
91 leggy SS, work in progress...

04 wrx w/ jdm twinscroll and lots more... 300whp :-)