Intercooler mockup, and wide band question

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Flatfourced
In Neutral

Intercooler mockup, and wide band question

Post by Flatfourced »

So i got my sti motor mounts installed. I should have gotten to brakets too but managed it with some "modification".

Now i have acquired an 06 wrx intrecooler and an 04 forester bpv. Both are in just great shape and am just thrilled with the price, under 100 shipped for both together.

I have a small problem with the fitment of the bpv being a bit off, but it's easily flangeable.

i mocked it up last night and moved the coolant tank today. I ran quite a bit of hose to place it where the ac compressor used to be.

Anywhere here's where i'm at.

I have a td04 on the way, not horrible condition, but for 60 bucks who can really complain. And i think robs 440 tune will be a great mix of power and reliability.

I have a good exhaust guy and plan on him making a permanent aluminum intake and intercooler y-pipe setup. So, if that td04 is good to go, i can get that whole setup installed with my 3" dp and 2.5 axle back to magnaflow muffler.

Anyway i'm excited to be close to ready for the injectors and rob tune.

I do have a question about widebands. I know i need one before i mess with the boost too much, but would 10 lbs be safe?

And is there any cheap way into this? looks like ~200 any way i turn. I have some 4 wire bosch widebands from toyotas on the shelf at work. Seems like some proper input voltage and a voltmeter should have some results here.

thanks as always for advice and opinion
97 Legacy outback - ej22t swap, 5mt, wrx motor mounts, hallman mbc, 06 wrx intercooler, td04, 3' tbe
04 wrx -70k ej205- Well maintained and stock
78 dl wagon 4x4 -ea71- rip-
91 legacy ss -115k ej22t- donor and parts
alexandermf
Third Gear

Re: Intercooler mockup, and wide band question

Post by alexandermf »

I believe u don't need a wideband for the td04, if you plan on going with a bigger turbo then def go with a wideband, it wouldn't hurt obviously to get one but you don't NEED it, can I ask where you got the hose for the bpv?

Sent from your bathroom closet
alexandermf
Third Gear

Post by alexandermf »

Also if u relocate the coolant tank to the left of the ps it creates a lot more room. And remember for ur td04 you need the 90 degree silicone hose from siliconintakes.com

dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

alexandermf wrote:Also if u relocate the coolant tank to the left of the ps it creates a lot more room. And remember for ur td04 you need the 90 degree silicone hose from siliconintakes.com

Second this. Get a metal tank from a WRX and move it to the left of the PS reservoir, with a little elevation.

I blocked off the stock BPV plate on the intercooler and moved it to the turbo to intercooler pipe ( made a metal one) and went to the stock small bpv. It made pumbing easier.

I find that the closer you make things to "stock" looking, even using a mock-up from another Subaru ( like trying to make it look like a stock 02 WRX) it gives you a visual from which to make it work and somehow for me, it always seems a bit easier.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
Flatfourced
In Neutral

Post by Flatfourced »

Good point on the old bpv. I didnt think of that and would have used it for sure. But the forester one is too shiny to not use now lol.

The hose is a masterpro 22063 same number for gates. Just a coolant bypass hose i found at work to suit the purpose. I really like how i can see it through the scoop.

So general rule of thumb on the wideband. If i'm not bypassing the stock fuel cut, i'm pretty safe without a wideband. Sound about right?

Siliconintakes.com.. added to favorites, thanks again.
97 Legacy outback - ej22t swap, 5mt, wrx motor mounts, hallman mbc, 06 wrx intercooler, td04, 3' tbe
04 wrx -70k ej205- Well maintained and stock
78 dl wagon 4x4 -ea71- rip-
91 legacy ss -115k ej22t- donor and parts
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You should be ok without the wb.

For the WB, you need a proper controller, and that's where the money comes in. The sensors themselves aren't too bad.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm