Opinions on fitment of 02-07 turboback.

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

aaronllewellyn
First Gear

Opinions on fitment of 02-07 turboback.

Post by aaronllewellyn »

I found this turbo-back on Ebay for $223 if i'm using a turbo-back from an 02-07 with the longer down pipe, is extending the mid pipe 6" needed at all? wouldn't the longer down-pipe make up for that length?

I'm pretty sure stock 91 legacy down pipes are a bit shorter. and that's why i assume the midpipe needs more length

opinions?

mike-tracy

Re: Opinions on fitment of 02-07 turboback.

Post by mike-tracy »

EBay junk. Buy it if you plan to replace your exhaust every couple years. Yes the midpipe needs to be extended. This is an established fact.
Why not buy a quality muffler (such as borla hush or others) and quality namebrand downpipe, and find a good local welder to make the rest. Maybe even go stainless steel.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

i have a ebay set up on my wagon its nice the down pipe hangs a lil low but its holding up good
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

The lengthenig of the mid pipe is due to our cars having a longer wheelbase, not because of he difference in down pipe length. Using an 02-07 cat-back on a stock down pipe requires a small additional length to join the two on top of what's normally needed for the full turbo back.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
matt00rs25
First Gear

Post by matt00rs25 »

Be prepared. I have this exhaust on my legacy and it's stupid loud.
aaronllewellyn
First Gear

Post by aaronllewellyn »

mike-tracy wrote:EBay junk. Buy it if you plan to replace your exhaust every couple years. Yes the midpipe needs to be extended. This is an established fact.
Why not buy a quality muffler (such as borla hush or others) and quality namebrand downpipe, and find a good local welder to make the rest. Maybe even go stainless steel.
Cant imagine it's because I dont have Bookoo bux to blow on an invidia turbo back, and this system is stainless steel..... I understand it may only last a few years, for $220 a few years is an incredible value, I'm in the middle of salted NY, even an Invidia exhaust wouldn't last three years before rotting off, stainless or not.
aaronllewellyn
First Gear

Post by aaronllewellyn »

matt00rs25 wrote:Be prepared. I have this exhaust on my legacy and it's stupid loud.
does the silencer do anything to keep it "dont pull me over" quiet
matt00rs25
First Gear

Post by matt00rs25 »

It's a lot quieter with it in but kinda pointless if your buying a modified exhaust. Might as well keep it stock.
aaronllewellyn
First Gear

Post by aaronllewellyn »

matt00rs25 wrote:It's a lot quieter with it in but kinda pointless if your buying a modified exhaust. Might as well keep it stock.
I was Just curious.
BoneIslandScooby
First Gear

Post by BoneIslandScooby »

James614 wrote:The lengthenig of the mid pipe is due to our cars having a longer wheelbase, not because of he difference in down pipe length. Using an 02-07 cat-back on a stock down pipe requires a small additional length to join the two on top of what's normally needed for the full turbo back.
I decided to post on this thread rather than start a new one. I have a question about the extension of the midpipe. I plan to have piece made, which takes up the space left between the midpipe and the downpipe. Is this length of pipe going to be completely straight, or will there be a kink in it anywhere? I'm talking generally here, not accounting for any irregularities in downpipes or midpipes from different manufacturers. I plan on using an Invidia catted downpipe, which is a full 3" back, and mate it to a Stromung 3" Dual Tip, which necks down to 2.5" to mate with the factory donut gasket flange.

Next question: Should I neck down to the 2.5" donut flange, or have the stromung's midpipe modified to be a full 3" and have a normal 3" two-bolt flange welded on?
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

The mid pipe extension can be straight. I'd have the exhaust modified to be a full 3". Doesn't make sense to go 3"-2.5"-3".

Also, I just noticed last weekend when my car was on a lift, lengthening the mid pipe causes the axle back not to dip under the diff as tight as it could. The low point in the exhaust gets pushed behind the diff, so the "right" way to lengthen it would be to extend it at the axle back, just before the muffler. Most I've seen just have the mid pipe extension though, and I'm not chaning mine, but something to keep in mind.

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
aaronllewellyn
First Gear

Post by aaronllewellyn »

James614 wrote:The mid pipe extension can be straight. I'd have the exhaust modified to be a full 3". Doesn't make sense to go 3"-2.5"-3".

Also, I just noticed last weekend when my car was on a lift, lengthening the mid pipe causes the axle back not to dip under the diff as tight as it could. The low point in the exhaust gets pushed behind the diff, so the "right" way to lengthen it would be to extend it at the axle back, just before the muffler. Most I've seen just have the mid pipe extension though, and I'm not chaning mine, but something to keep in mind.

Well, After installing the exhaust I opened the thread on, the eBay 02-07 3", unless you extend the mid pipe 3", and the tailpipe/muffler section 3" it will never line up the the hangars past the down pipe, the center mid pipe hanger is "use able" using two rubber hangars attached to each other creatively, then a 6.5" section needs to be added and the tailpipe hangars would line up perfectly. I went to 8-10 different fabrication/exhaust shops and NO-ONE we even able to weld stainless, or had 3" stainless pipe. so as of now, (sitting in the garage with a blown transmission) the tailpipe muffler section is poorly cobbed up, if it had the extension, it would hang easily an inch and a half higher off the ground (it's about 2" from the floor of my garage atm.) sounds great, sounds great with the silencer on as well, now im just pissed I cant drive it because no one in NY has a 4EAT transmission with a 3.90 diff.
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Sounds like you're in the works for a 5MT swap. :)
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
BoneIslandScooby
First Gear

I'm about to get the Stromung 3" Cat Back installed behind one of the new Grimmspeed downpipes. I'd like to be sure I've got this right, because it seemed like you contradicted yourself there.

What you're saying is, if you wanted all the exhaust hangers to line up perfectly, you would have to weld in a 3" section in the midpipe and another 3" section in the axleback portion, just before the muffler. However, you have chosen to do it differently. You left the midpipe alone and used some extra rubber exhaust hangers to go from the factory mounting point on the chassis to the hanger that is already welded on the exhaust you bought. Then you extended the axleback section roughly 6.5" just before the muffler. Is that correct?
aaronllewellyn
First Gear

Post by aaronllewellyn »

BoneIslandScooby wrote:I'm about to get the Stromung 3" Cat Back installed behind one of the new Grimmspeed downpipes. I'd like to be sure I've got this right, because it seemed like you contradicted yourself there.

What you're saying is, if you wanted all the exhaust hangers to line up perfectly, you would have to weld in a 3" section in the midpipe and another 3" section in the axleback portion, just before the muffler. However, you have chosen to do it differently. You left the midpipe alone and used some extra rubber exhaust hangers to go from the factory mounting point on the chassis to the hanger that is already welded on the exhaust you bought. Then you extended the axleback section roughly 6.5" just before the muffler. Is that correct?
I haven't added any length to the exhaust (as of now), you can manage to poorly attach it without any modification, but it doesn't fit "right" or look quite proper. the 3"~ to each section would allow both hangars to line up perfectly, while a 6.5" extension to the axle back only allows the farthest rear hangars line up it would be straight, look right and hang in the right place, the center hangar can be rigged up to work "ok" but it may hang a little lower than it would with 3" to each section, the moral of the story is, buy the 02-07 turbo-back, it WILL fit, once you initially bolt it up to the car you will know what I mean, and you will be able to accurately modify it to fit perfectly.
BoneIslandScooby
First Gear

I have a different exhaust to install already. It is a Stromung 3" Dual Tip cat-back. It may be difficult to add a 3" section just before the muffler, because it has a tight bend just before the muffler canister. I'm hoping there's some way I can avoid having to extend it there without the axleback section fitting poorly.
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

From my experience, if you want it the best fit there's no way around lengthening the axle back before the muffler. That's the only way you can make the rear hangers and the tip reach without pushing the bend that goes around the diff past where its supposed to be.

I had to pull my exhaust off to add the down pipe bracket to the trans, and now the cat back won't fit back on. The axle back section contacts the rear axle. If I had lengthened the axle back instead of (or in addition to i suppose) the mid pipe I would not have this issue. Now I am stuck running open down pipe until I can get it modified again.

BoneIslandScooby
First Gear

James614 wrote:From my experience, if you want it the best fit there's no way around lengthening the axle back before the muffler. That's the only way you can make the rear hangers and the tip reach without pushing the bend that goes around the diff past where its supposed to be.

I had to pull my exhaust off to add the down pipe bracket to the trans, and now the cat back won't fit back on. The axle back section contacts the rear axle. If I had lengthened the axle back instead of (or in addition to i suppose) the mid pipe I would not have this issue. Now I am stuck running open down pipe until I can get it modified again.
If I had my choice, I'd have somebody cut the pipe at the muffler and weld an exhaust flange on it. I'd also have them weld an exhaust flange to the other end where I've cut the axleback off from the front of the muffler. Then I'd have them measure whatever extension needs to be put on and weld flanges to either end. That way, if I ever need to take the exhaust off, sell the car, buy a different one, etc., I can take out the extension and bolt the catback together just as it was originally and sell it off, or install it into my new car. Unfortunately, however, there is not even one unbent inch coming out of the muffler. It is a SHORT radius 90 degree bend or tighter right past the muffler canister. Need somebody very skilled to cut it off and somehow weld a stub of pipe coming out of the muffler.