EMERGENCY EXHAUST

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Treemty
In Neutral

EMERGENCY EXHAUST

Post by Treemty »

So my car got taken away by the police today since i never got my work order for my exhaust system cleared. The towyard wont let me take my car back and are charging me $60 a day until i can get my car out to a shop for new exhaust system ughhh.

Anyways, i drive a '93 Legacy N/A 2.2l and I am wondering what a good set up would be that might not be too expensive, or better yet easy to find. I have heard that wrx exhaust should fit, but which years fit best and sound good? I will probably be changing out my exhaust for straight pipes later on, but I just need to pass this damn inspection >.<

my buddy has a'13 WRX wagon and said i could borrow his exhaust if it fits, any idea if it will?
I cant hold them up next to each other or take pics or anyting since my car is in some lot somewhere :(

so really any advice would be useful... at this point ill take anything.
so far my bill is $265 from the tow company, id really like to keep it under $400 since i also have to pay for the ticket and registration and plates :(

Cops didnt like my excuse of breaking in the motor or being late to my final exam...
mike-tracy

Re: EMERGENCY EXHAUST

Post by mike-tracy »

The 2013 wrx wont fit, it has two mufflers. nothing is a straight bolt on, but 02-07 wrx or sti is the closest I suppose. No matter what, a welder will have to extend the mid pipe, rotate flange(s) and move hangers.

You could just weld in pretty much any junkyard muffler that fits dimensionally, onto your current setup. I know around WA, the import section of the JYs usually have a few VW's, mazda and hondas with aftermarket mufflers on a given day.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

FTP. That's all I gotta say.
There's no reason people should be exploited by the government like that. Its oppressive.

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
Treemty
In Neutral

Post by Treemty »

Lucked out guys! My day is starting to look up :)
Copped myself an 02-07 wrx stock catback for $80! I think it was worth the price, not too rusty and it means I can hopefully get my beloved legacy back from the man tomorrow :)

Thanks for the help!! As soon as I read the post I went on Craigslist heheh.
Treemty
In Neutral

Post by Treemty »

I didn't expect it to be as hard as it was for me to find a shop willing to install it for me! After calling and visiting about 15 shops I finally found a performance shop about a mile away from where my car was towed to. Luckily AAA hooked me up and towed me there for free, even though they told me before the car had to be inoperable, or not able to start at least lol. However since it is a performance shop I have to pay $89/hour labor fees and they don't have an in house inspector to clear my work order, but the owner told me he would call somebody over to have it done for me! He estimated 2.5 hours labor,so that will be around $225... Heading over to the MVA whenever I get that work order signed, so I can finally acquire some historic plates :D debating on custom plates at this point since this project has been so pricey!!!

$225 labor
$260 tow and storage charge
$80 WRX exhaust
$70 "posession of expired tags" ticket
+MVA fees

I could have turbod my car for all that money :( but at least now I dont have to be worried about getting pulled over by the cops anymore...

over $600 later and hopefully ill have my car back by the weekend, and i get to put more than 25 miles on the rebuild, sigh.
208ss
First Gear

Post by 208ss »

Move to Idaho the popo won't tow or ticket for an exhaust
1991 subaru legacy sport sedan
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

What state is this? Cali by chance? I ran open down pipe for like a year here in NC, cops don't give a damn. I wouldn't do it in Charlotte or Raleigh though.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
gonzoman10
In Neutral

Post by gonzoman10 »

208ss wrote:Move to Idaho the popo won't tow or ticket for an exhaust
This is true. I can confirm

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
smagg26
First Gear

Post by smagg26 »

How did that exhaust work out for you been looking into redoing mine. magnaflow manifolds suck.