Notes on the Ej22T!! - More info added!!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

boostjunkie wrote:Legacy777, you are correct, however, that putting the EJ22 heads on a 2.5L block will increase the compression ratio.
I thought that's what I said though :)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

This just in - May 19.

Post by boostjunkie »

From the nasioc boards (xephyr):

"I'm posting to clarify a little mis-information I have posted on previous threads. In the past, I have chimed in on the use of 2.2 Turbo Legacy shortblocks for performance applications. I also stated that using the 2000 2.2 gasket would raise your compression ratio, if so desired. Unfortunately, I forgot to consider piston protrusion.

The turbo legacy pistons protrude from the block at TDC by .020-.030 inches. using the standard T.Legacy head gasket (which is thicker than Phase 2's) will allow the piston protrusion from hitting the head. BUT, USING THE THINNER HEADGASKETS MAY ALLOW THE PISTON TO HIT THE HEAD. THEREFORE, I DO NOT RECOMMEND USING THE THINNER PHASE 2 , YEAR 2000 2.2 L HEADGASKETS WITH A TURBO LEGACY SHORTBLOCK.

I checked several phase 2 engines which normally utilize the thinner headgaskets, and those pistons DO NOT protrude at TDC.

Sorry about the mis-info,
Mark R."
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

Legacy777, what we are talking about here is putting ej25 heads on an ej22 engine. if you do that, then the Compression ratio will go down.

you were referring to ej22 heads on a ej25 engine.....C/R goes up.

FrmRgz2Rchz, you don't need ej25 heads cams to do the upgrade. just crank and rods. your compression will not change if you use the ej22 heads, head gasket and pistons. :o
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
FG!!
Second Gear

Post by FG!! »

So, what's his quarter mile time? :lol:

but seriously, anyone care to estimate a horsepower number at that compression and pressure?
92ss, 66bsa thunderbolt, 92miata, 06wrx
scoobydoo
In Neutral

Post by scoobydoo »

To Mark R.

Mark that is interesting about the piston protrusion. What you said got me thinking, you know how forged pistons have to run bigger cyl. wall to piston clearance cause they expand more right? Well, would you think that
duplicate OEM dimension JE pistons would hit the cyl. head with the thicker turbo Gasket?
How did you figure out about the piston protrusion?
Did you calculate how the metal expands with heat and all that, or is that protrusion a measurement of a cold engine :?

-Jose
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Mark's over on nasioc. You'll probably have to post over there to get a response.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

teaguespeed
First Gear

Post by teaguespeed »

screw ej25 heads, i wanna find me some sti 22b heads.
'99 Impreza L 2.2 powa!

"If at first you don't succeed, failure may be your style."
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

can i race this guy to. kelley whats to i will to i can smoke my tires in first & second gear. & the cobb car that car dont look so tuff. then will hit the hwy and do a top speed test 2 cuz my car dont stop the needle stops but the car keeps going
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

scoobydoo, go to www.nasioc.com forums. In the aftermarket forced induction forum you can post your question to Mark directly or search for his posts. His handle is xephyr
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

teaguespeed, why would you want sti 22b heads?
just port/polish the stock ej22g heads that are already on your car and they will be great.
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

NICO I WRX U, I'm curious as to what other mods you have on your car?

I know you have a 5" dp and 3" catless exhaust. Let's see, a hybrid t3/rbh5 and fmic running ~21psi. Anything else? Pics?

NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i cant put pic up i am not good wit this computer stuff my heads r port&polished bigger then anyones ever seen. plus my car has nothing in it seat, motor & me no comfort stuff i can make my tires peel out in first second the size is 205 55 16. there is some pic of it in daves legacy central. i got new one s wit new toys but i got to send them
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

nico,

I emailed you the link for the pic. Just post it in thread. Unless you're talking about different pics.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

thank u legacy777 i will check it out
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

That is not milehi. Though both in the same region and both insane with boost and EJ22Ts. He does mention milehi in the post though. Right at the beginning when he states that he is Mark, not Alan. Since we are talking about the beauty and strength of the EJ22T block I'll post my question here. I have on the drawing board plans to build a 95-99 Legacy GT-B wagon. I will stay with the twin turbo set-up that the car gets in the UK and in Japan. I do plan on tuning the car. The first most obvious fix to me was to replace the block with an EJ22T block. I have no doubts about this engine. My 193K FWD Legacy vouches for this as does every Subaru mechanic that has been so for over 10 years as does everyone on this board. Would this work with the twin turbo set up?
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Twin turbo setups really don't work with LHD cars. Sure you could tweak it and get custom stuff costing lots of money to get the twins to work, however, you'd probably be better with just a single turbo setup.

Spend the extra money on a better turbo or other such stuff. Alot of guys in Japan do away with the twin setup because they are complicated, maintenance piggys, and with the smaller turbo, you need backpressure or you'll nuke it pretty quick by overspooling. Not to mention the valley of death where the turbo's swap.

So IMO......I'd go with a single turbo setup with ej22t block.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

That's why I'm getting a RHD postal wagon to do the swap :D . Also convert to 5 speed. I'm not building the fastest car I can. I'm looking more to have a nice and fast car with good every day driveability and individuality. How many people out there have a RHD TT setup? Not many outside of the UK, New Zealand, or Japan.
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
Twin turbo wag
In Neutral

I'm doing the same...

Post by Twin turbo wag »

bought a bent, driveable 96 tt 5 spd wagon, getting it shipped here now,
getting the whole car as i have learned that getting all the parts at one time is the best way to go
PROBABLY looking for a postal wag body to use. keeping it rhd, since I learned the twins do not clear lhd steering,brakes, without costly mods..
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

Shhh... Here's a few postal wagons. Don't tell anyone though. This is where the postal guys put their cars to sell and buy.
http://www.cars101.com/~booknut/cgi-bin ... tal+Legacy
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

That'll be sweet! Only problem will be drive thrus. :P
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

Goodtimes in Colorado has passenger and driver's side pick up windows as well as using Coleman's all-natural beef. That's the only fastfood I eat anymore. Better price and way better food than all the big chains so I'd be set.
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
Twin turbo wag
In Neutral

do you think I can look in a jumkyard to get ...

Post by Twin turbo wag »

...scraps of a rhd postal legacy, enough to use the vin?
repli-cobra places do this with the frame tags off a 1965 car, can i do it with a lets say 1991 wagon?
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Nobody told you this, but I can't see why not. I don't know about your inspection and disposal and title laws, but they're probably more lax than MA and if I were a guy who would do stuff not strictly legal, I could probably do it. Although a rhd car may get some snoopers who want to look under the hood and then they may be smart enough to understand what they're looking at.

Mystery man.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Twin turbo wag
In Neutral

well,..

Post by Twin turbo wag »

a stock twin turbo legacy had to pass japanese smog laws, it could prob. pass the ones here, esp. since they cant put it on rollers...I do not think they have rollers to do a 4wd car, I remember reading something about a warning as such when i had(pre divorce) a 2002 wrx
I want to get more power for less money, just have to find the best easiest way to accomplish this, thinking that buying a complete car is best way to get all the upgrades, brakes, interior, engine of course, suspension
and, officer, its one of those old subaru mailwagons, (that's my story and i'm sticking to it) of course because its the truth.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Somewhere in this thread it mentions that the compression ratio for ej20 heads on an ej22t is 7.5:1 . I think that is wrong.

read this thread http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=14511