Last Ditch Effort Before I Say "Screw it"/Rough Ru

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Js92Tru
In Neutral

Last Ditch Effort Before I Say "Screw it"/Rough Ru

Post by Js92Tru »

I will spare you all the other stuff that I have tried and didn't help.

First the car: 1992 Legacy Sport Sedan 2.2l Turbo , engine completely stock. Now my girlfriends, she is driving my winter beater and I want it back.

Next the Problem: Rough running, no power, bucking when gassed, won't rev past 3000 RPM

What I have found: It appears to be somewhere in the 3rd cyl fuel injector system. The #3 cyl injector will not inject the fuel.

How I came to this conclusion what I have tested:
-Replaced the computer(ecu)- no change in performance.

- I switched the cyl 3 and 4 injectors problem stayed at cyl 3 so its not the injector itself.

- Switched the cyl 1 and 3 wiring harness (cyl 1 harness to cyl 3 injector and vice versa) problem moved to cyl 1 so its def not the injector/block ground (if it exists)

- Pulled the injector plug on each and every injector one at a time, each time the car ran worse except for when I pulled cyl 3. also got a check engine light and code for each injector EXCEPT cyl 3.

So far everything points to the harness being bad, Now the fun part. I checked the harness based on the fsm directions everything checked out fine. Also did my own continuity checks and those checked out also.

Now I am at a loss. What are the chances of buying a used ecu with the exact same problems as the one I already have? Could some strange short in the wire ruin the ecu? Why won't it throw a code when I pull the #3 injector plug? Is there anything else between the ecu and the injector that I missed?

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE I CAN CHECK?!?!?

Is anyone near Mankato, MN that would be willing to give me a hand in exchange for some good food and beer? perhaps with a Turbo motor car so I can check if both of my ecus are infact bad or good?

Please help me. I am desperate and out of ideas.

Jay

PS. as a last ditch effort would it be possible to split the harness for a different injector and use the signal for both cylinders, I know the timing of the fuel injection would be off but would it be close enough to work?
For sale -'92 White Legacy Turbo Sedan (US Spec) STi shifter, STi strut Mounts, KYB AGX struts, Eibach Springs, 16" 97 GT rims, Potenza RE950 tires and others.
His - 99.5 Audi A4 1.8 TQMS (Brilliant Yellow) w/ some Mods
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Jay,

I replied to your post on the bc-bf list.

Check to see if you have batteru voltage at the no. 2 injector pin with the ignition on.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Js92Tru
In Neutral

Post by Js92Tru »

Replied back to you via BC-BF...

Just thinking but is anything between the ecu (Pin 11 or 13 which ever the #3 pin is) and the injector besides some wire and a couple of plugs? Could I possibly just re run that wire direct from the ecu to the injector to ensure there are no shorts in that wire?

Jay
For sale -'92 White Legacy Turbo Sedan (US Spec) STi shifter, STi strut Mounts, KYB AGX struts, Eibach Springs, 16" 97 GT rims, Potenza RE950 tires and others.
His - 99.5 Audi A4 1.8 TQMS (Brilliant Yellow) w/ some Mods
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah it's possible a wire or connector may be screwed up. You could try running a test wire directly from the ECU to the injector to see what happens. I would try and isolate the existing wiring, that way if there is a short, you're are completely bypassing it with the test wire.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm