'94 Legacy RS Engine

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

RealLifeBrownKid
In Neutral

'94 Legacy RS Engine

Post by RealLifeBrownKid »

Hey guys. A few months back i bought a '94 Subaru Legacy RS. Now, I'm not really knowledgeable when it comes to cars, and this is my very first time owning a Subaru, so i thought I'd hop on here to learn a thing or two.

This car is a JDM 5-speed manual with Twin Turbo, and finding any info on this car is a real struggle.

So what my question is, is what type of engine do i exactly have? This car is all stock, except the rims. I've heard it to be an EJ20G, an EJ20R, and i think it is a BD/BG series? forgive me if im wrong.

And also, would you guys know if it is hard to find parts for this car? Like would parts from a Legacy GT fit my car?

Any info on this car would be greatly appreciated, and sorry if i posted in the wrong spot. Thanks!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: '94 Legacy RS Engine

Post by kimokalihi »

The engine is an ej20h. What parts are you looking for? What year gt?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
RealLifeBrownKid
In Neutral

Thanks alot! I was just wondering if maybe the a 94 GT would be similar to mine, since alot of car part websites dont really have my car listed. Was wondering if parts like timing belt, clutch, cold air intakes, and maybe coilovers for a GT would work on my car? someone told me most Subaru parts should be interchangeable with other models nearly the same age.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Its true. Many parts fit or are a direct replacement from one year to another or even different models. The timing belt will fit if the gt is dohc but I'm guessing its not unless its a 2.5. Coilovers would fit, any suspension from the same generation is going to be the same and also should be the same as gc imprezas. The clutch may or may not be interchangeable. I think the your clutch may be hydraulic and the gt may be cable.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

For the service components of the engine, the 96 Legacy 2.5GT is your best bet for looking up interchange on websites. The timing components, and most engine gaskets and seals should all fit fine. As mentioned, suspension wise anything that will fit a 95-99 Legacy will fit your car, which includes the 93-01 Impreza (most sites list coilovers for the 98-01 Impreza 2.5RS, but they are the same fitment as older ones). Good luck finding out what your stock brake pads are ;)

For the clutch, any clutch that works in the early hydraulic transmissions (ie 90-94 Legacy Sport) should work. Search the drive train forum, there's lots of info on what people are using for clutches.

Performance parts are harder. You can check eBay for JDM intakes for the EJ20H engine. I'm pretty sure Apex'i makes one. They aren't cheap though.

http://sl-i.net/FORUM/viewforum.php?f=5 ... 1e63e5b7bd caters to the 95+ Legacy (93+ in JDM land) more than this forum, they are likely have more info for you, I only know of one member here who runs a twin turbo setup.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
RealLifeBrownKid
In Neutral

Thanks a bunch guys! this info actually helps me alot.
wtdash
Fifth Gear

Post by wtdash »

HI,
I didn't see it, so I'll add that the GT model in the US wasn't turbo'd, 'til the '05 Legacy GT.

Also, check out http://www.rslibertyclub.org/forums/..It's NOT a US site, but should be relevant for your RS.

GL,
Td
Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T
RealLifeBrownKid
In Neutral