Build a ej22t

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Build a ej22t

Post by NICO »

Well we start off with a used and well abused +400,000km ej22t motor ! We strip it down to its naked self. We clean it all up give that sucker a nice paint job, it looks all new again from when it left Fuji heavy industries in JAPAN !

Then we order some forged pistons rods head studs bearings and a bunch of other stuff you need to build a motor (Id like to thank Dov@Nvauto for my parts).

So at this point it's been sent out to the machine shop to get fitted. Also the center breather hole was capped off

As of now ! This block could be a spare for the legacy, or put it in something really really old and classic like !!! O let's just say a 1986 Subaru gl-10, the weight of the car is 990kg oem + ej22t rotated turbo 500whp = hahahah. Just a little idea in the back of my head right now

Ok so this is the center hole which when adding any dohc heads on you need to plug this for cross flow water pipe fitment.

This crank is a special crank ! It was used in a special motor the ej20g (closed deck) type ra hand assembled & balanced in the Subaru technical international STi division in JAPAN !

i also found some intresting facts look at what the ej22t is used in ! 22B is the ej22t ??, but might have something diffrent and i have never seen a 22b so who knows... but ! the germans think so, and if they think so you better belive they know lol !

if i would have seen this i would have orderd everything from Wossner ! they have pistons & rods. worth a try why not.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Build a ej22t

Post by kimokalihi »

So, if you're using the 20G crank does that mean you're destroking it?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

no same stroke and place for thrust bearing, drop in. its been worked over buy the masters at sti.

now i have only seen this once ! i asked my machine shop guy to check this crank, he said ! this is a oem crank ? all puzzled. i say yes from a rare motor !.. well its perfect to perfect in the balance he says.

you can see where they cut chunks out to make it perfect in the last pic, i have never seen one like that so who knows maybe im losing it.
crisco
First Gear

Post by crisco »

so the 2.2 litre has the same stroke as the 2.0 litre motors? so the diameter is larger thats all?
--- crisco --- 2005 Saab 9-2X Aero---
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

you do not need to plug the center vent to run dohc heads and the corrosponding coolant pipe. i have a 25d one on my 22t and it clears fine
94 Supra Turbo 6 speed. build in progress
98 Lexus GS300, single turbo 2JZGTE swap. daily driver
93 Impreza wagon, home brewed n/a-t ken block themed winter drift missle

*sold*
94 Alpine Sport Wagon... STi conversion, rotated turbo etc
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

crisco wrote:so the 2.2 litre has the same stroke as the 2.0 litre motors? so the diameter is larger thats all?
if I remember right the ej18 ej20g ej22 and ej22t use the same crank, i think when the ej20k came out they just moved the thrust bearing but it used same rods pistons. I think all the jdm 2.0 use the same rod length and piston tops change, so you could mix say a ej20k block with ver8 crank and ver7 forged pistons and rods.

MikeyMeyagi wrote:you do not need to plug the center vent to run dohc heads and the corrosponding coolant pipe. i have a 25d one on my 22t and it clears fine
you have a rotated turbo set up. to use the oem factory turbo inlet pipe, the one under the manifold you need to use the flat style cross flow pipe so that hole needs to be plugged when doing a oem style dohc swap.
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

ive used the regular style crossover on under the manifold inlets with the 25d manifold and it clears ok.

*sold*
MikeyMeyagi
Second Gear

Post by MikeyMeyagi »

not s***ing on your build, but there are other ways to do it other then blocking that port off.

*sold*
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I've been planning on doing a nice rebuild on my extra EJ22t but i just picked up a EJ255 for 100 bucks with a spun rod bearing so I'm gonna spend the money on building it. I just bought an Adaptronics too so i'll be able to run the AVCS. Great build by the way, that crank is a sweet find.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

What did you think the '22' in 22B meant?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

MikeyMeyagi wrote:ive used the regular style crossover on under the manifold inlets with the 25d manifold and it clears ok.
MikeyMeyagi wrote:not s***ing on your build, but there are other ways to do it other then blocking that port off.
lol if it works thats cool all ways good to know new stuff :D ...... i have the other motor in my legacy plugged so no ill affect's. i seen the oem subaru rally motors have them plugged, so if they did it it must work lol.

it's interesting that the oem inlet pipe works perfect,is there any kinks ? so lets say the agency power metal pipe or aps one would not work at all then because its size ? do you have a pic of the cross flow pipe shape ? and a pic with the oem one in place ?

BoostedSubie wrote:I've been planning on doing a nice rebuild on my extra EJ22t but i just picked up a EJ255 for 100 bucks with a spun rod bearing so I'm gonna spend the money on building it. I just bought an Adaptronics too so i'll be able to run the AVCS. Great build by the way, that crank is a sweet find.
good find & price for a motor with avcs,those heads will be amazing lots of power !

beatersubi wrote:What did you think the '22' in 22B meant?
lol yes, but i remember a while ago some people where think it was different so i got excited and had to post it up lol
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

I remember reading somewhere that there are a couple minor differences between the 22b and 22t, one being the 22b had no oil squirters and it being a phase II block so has #5 thrust bearing.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
mazda ej22t
First Gear

Post by mazda ej22t »

your running wiseco pistons? so what did you bore it over .02 or .04? maybe i missed it but what heads are you running? doing anything to cams? or touching the heads? im actually from woodstock just around the block lol have any turbos for sale?
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

Mazda ej22t - yes wiseco pistons, bore over 20 yep. Heads I have version 8 STi biggest you can get from factory and oem with avcs

Ok back to build, so far put together pistons rods in and not add the rest more pics soon [url=