Went to the Mall and Parked, Came Back and SS Wouldn't Start

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

beaconhillkilla
First Gear

Went to the Mall and Parked, Came Back and SS Wouldn't Start

Post by beaconhillkilla »

1992 Legacy SS, just got this thing up and running. It has been driving just fine since putting the motor back in and getting everything to work. I've driven it about 300 miles or so. Stopped by the mall, was running fine when I pulled in, not idling funny, not sputtering - nothing. I came back and it sounded like it was starving for fuel and would sputter and turn over but not run. I pulled off the "in" line to the motor from the fuel filter and turned the car to "on", no fuel came out. This leads me to believe that either:

-The fuel pump is out and needs to be replaced
-A switch or relay is out

I turn the car to "on" and can't hear the fuel pump kick on. Can someone give me some ideas of what to check next? I read on here a while ago about there being something under the rear seats that will cut the fuel if it goes bad? Any help is appreciated! Below is a video I took right when it happened (I also just found out how to remove the god awful beeping sound, jesus that drove me mad).

Also, not throwing any codes

http://youtu.be/5K9JgsoCjWI
1992 Legacy SS - Auto to 5MT swap and too much of my free time.
beaconhillkilla
First Gear

Re: Went to the Mall and Parked, Came Back and SS Wouldn't S

Pulled the rear seat out, the connector for the fuel pump looks okay. I also checked the new cam, crank, and knock sensors that I wired in (forgot to unplug them when I pulled the engine out), and they are all okay. Vacuum lines all look intact. I also pulled out the fuel pump, but I don't know what to look for exactly. If it needs to be replaced Ill just order up a walboro. I don't want to go spend 100$ if I dont need to though.
prodrive
First Gear

Post by prodrive »

give 12v to the pump and see what happens, if still nothing, check pump relay and 30 amp fuse under the hood.
beaconhillkilla
First Gear

What would be the best way to do that? I can pull a motor, but don't know the first thing about voltage/ electronics.
prodrive
First Gear

Post by prodrive »

any 12 v will do. pin 1(LY) +, pin 4(B) at pump 6 pin connector.
beaconhillkilla
First Gear

Okay Ill give that a shot either tomorrow or wednesday when i'm back home and will go from there.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Just an FYI, the fuel pump will not run with the key in the ON position and the engine not running. The pump should start when the engine is cranking. If you've cranked the engine and are able to disconnect the fuel line and there is no pressure, then I'd definitely say you have an issue with the fuel pump or wiring. You can can for voltage at the fuel pump connector when the engine is cranking. If you have voltage there, the chances are good the pump is bad.

These scans should help diagnose the fuel pump

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... pdiag1.jpg
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... pdiag2.jpg
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
beaconhillkilla
First Gear

Ahh, good to know! thank you!
beaconhillkilla
First Gear

Well..

I came back home today and I put the pump back in and cranked it just to see, and it started. Has anyone seen this before? I don't want to start driving it again and get stuck. Also, the battery has been disconnected the entire time so the ECU has probably reset itself.

Edit:

Nevermind, I just went back out and tried to start it and now it wont do it. Im trying to figure out the voltage thing I just am still learning how

Edit2:

With the car cranking gas isnt getting to the motor. I have a multimeter but trying to read the instructions on how to use it is like reading chinese; so I have no way of telling if the pump is actually working or not I'm worthless with electronics.

Edit3:

I'm just going to keep adding to this post as I learn more things and hopefully one of you will be able to help. I just put the car into d-check mode and the fuel pump relay is clicking, so I assume that means its working. I didn't hear anything from the pump itself - don't know if i'm supposed to. I took it out of d-check and had my roomate crank it while i put my ear up to the pump and didn't hear a thing.

edit 4:

Last one of the night. I just hooked the pump up to the battery directly and it fired right up. So, if the pump and relay are both good then something else must be stopping the flow of gas to the motor.

And hell, heres a video of me starting the car after putting the fuel pump back in. you can watch when its done processing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiJx0yZ65bs
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Your problem is most likely the electrical connector under the rear seat. There appears to be a rash of these problems occurring.

Check out this thread for more details.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49657
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

beaconhillkilla
First Gear

Well I just took another look at the connector, and it seemed to be fried. I just rewired it and I just got the car to start up 4 times and idle correctly. I feel like an idiot, and I'm not going to jinx myself, but I believe the problem has been solved. If it comes back I'm going to come right back here. Thanks everyone for your help, It looks like this forum is going to be my new home. Below are some pictures I took of the connector so anyone that searches for this in the future will know what to look for. Subaru777, maybe you would want to make a write up about this on your site? Since it seems to be such a common problem. If you want the full size pictures i'll email them to you.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the feedback. Those are excellent pictures. You could have just cut & spliced together the fuel pump wiring. The fuel sender wires usually are ok.

I'll add this thread to the engine sticky thread so it will be easy to find for others.

Thanks
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

beaconhillkilla
First Gear

I thought about that, but I just thought hey when in Rome you might as well do it all. Thank you!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I hear :)

Glad it's running again.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT