Question of opinion, Blown head gasket ej20g

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mike-tracy

Re: Question of opinion, Blown head gasket ej20g

Post by mike-tracy »

I had a 90* bracket made from angle aluminum that I drilled to fit where the AC bolts horizontally to the alternator bracket. Used the two upper holes. Obviously the spark plug wires wouldn't work, so I got some MSD cut to fit wires and made those up.

Since you're reusing the ej20g intake, you might want to consider keeping the TD05. It is a little lagger, but ultimately has more top end than the ej20k turbo. Unless your ej20k comes with the big boy, the vf22, of course.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

I went through 3 diff ways to mount my coil my my 20g manifold. I still have the the brkts I made, they bolt to the top 2 mount holes for the throttle body. I ditched this because the 20g with the coil pack on top was too "tall" and rubbed a little on the under side of the hood.
If u were closer to me I'd just give u the bkts. I ended up making a new Brkt that sits were the ignitor was bolted. Obviously cut to fit wires, but even after all my f$2@&ing around with coil pack, I'm gonna go coil on plug and be done. I'll post a pic in the morning of my set up.
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Just an option for you.
pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Post by pabst90-ix »

That is a very convient location. Anychance you would be willing to ship out one of thlse spare brackets? Also why did you end up going to coil on plug? And then i have a second question to you guys. I have done a bunch of searching and cannot come up with part numbers for gaslets that will work on the ej20k. I found the rallispec kit but really dont want to spend 5oo on gaskets. I did find a post on nasioc with the valve cover gaskets but thats all i have found any further assistance is much appreciated. Trying to get all the pieces before the engine arrives.
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

I haven't gone COP yet, but I'm going to as soon as I stop being lazy. I keep having a stuttering problem under boost, and all I can think is it's blowing the spark out (still) Gonna try it. See what happens. PM an address, I'll send the brkts out in a little.
pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Post by pabst90-ix »

Sent. Thanks
pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Post by pabst90-ix »

New set of problems of course turns outt the car is running the old ej22t hrness and ecu with modified lengths to accomodate the old 20g. Mow is this a big problem to the ej20k i have coming? Or can it run it with minor changes? Can a rob tune ecu plug in to this harness? Do i need to plan on doing the full harness merge?
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

You need to read the EJ20G ECU conversion thread on this site. It will answer all of your questions.
pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Post by pabst90-ix »

Ya i was having a minature panic moment just got off work when i realized and posted before looking my bad
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

No problem, it's still an easy swap for you. 22T harness, 20G intake manifold, 20k longblock and a RobTune all takes very minimal work.
pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Post by pabst90-ix »

I cant wait to get started working on it! I had to postpone shipping on my engine till after the new year. But at least that give me time to get all my ducks in line. I have ordered all of the gaskets for the block and am working on the rob tune and ignition conversion. Thanks for all the information guys ill be starting a build thread as it comes together
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Pntaste4evr99 wrote:I haven't gone COP yet, but I'm going to as soon as I stop being lazy. I keep having a stuttering problem under boost, and all I can think is it's blowing the spark out (still) Gonna try it. See what happens. PM an address, I'll send the brkts out in a little.
Not to get off topic, but if everything is working properly the coil pack setup should work fine. I haven't had any issues, and if you happened to look at Nick's build thread the 22B he has runs the same wasted spark coil pack we have on our Legacies.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Not to get off topic, but if everything is working properly the coil pack setup should work fine. I haven't had any issues, and if you happened to look at Nick's build thread the 22B he has runs the same wasted spark coil pack we have on our Legacies.
All I can think is its still blowing the spark out...plugs are at 26 and it ALWAYS happen under boost at 4500-5600. Maybe an ECU problem??? Idk. Frustrating though
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Pntaste4evr99 wrote:All I can think is its still blowing the spark out...plugs are at 26 and it ALWAYS happen under boost at 4500-5600. Maybe an ECU problem??? Idk. Frustrating though
Yeah, I don't know. I guess try the COP setup and see if that helps.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
pabst90-ix
In Neutral

Post by pabst90-ix »

Its Here, Just got it yesterday, and have my gasket kit coming monday. Pulled the old trans and diff out. Now im in the process of working out the wiring. Anyone have any advice on the accessories? should i use the 20g accessories or is it possible to snip and merge the 20k accessories plugs into my harness. just curious because they look to be in great condition and my ac was out on the 20g anyway.

As for a review of jspec. Those guys are awesome, the intercooler and ecu weren't even listed as included. I asked about intercooler since mine was screwed up and they said no problem Plus this one is huge, (now i just need to modify the piping to accommodate the 90). But it was definitely was a nice surprise to find the ecu, even though i cant use it.

P.s excuse the mess in the garage i am also putting in a new shiftier linkage on my e30 ix and wasnt as prepared for the arrival of the pallet as i hoped.