ej20g injector malfunctioning?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SomeOldHobo
In Neutral

ej20g injector malfunctioning?

Post by SomeOldHobo »

I just swapped in a ej20 from a 96 wrx, starts but runs very rough, there is a tapping sound and shakes alot. I pulled the injector 2 plug and there was no change in how th engine was running. I pulled the other injector plugs and as it should started to stall out. I then took a stethoscope and listed to the injector and I could hear it clicking. compression was good and spark is good. Also i did do the 4to2 ignition conversion and I triple checked all the wiring on the patch harness to make sure it was all good. Any ideas?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ej20g injector malfunctioning?

Post by Legacy777 »

I guess to clarify, when you said you used a stethoscope and heard the injector ticking; was this the number 2 injector that didn't affect the engine running?

If so you may want to use a noid light or something similar to verify the injector is being pulsed by the ECU. If that checks out then you may have a bad injector.

I know they're a pain to remove and install, but you could try swapping one from a working cylinder to that one and see if the problem follows the injector or not. This will confirm whether the injector is bad or not. You can also check the resistance of the injector, they should be around 11 ohms.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ej20g injector malfunctioning?

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm going to close this thread so all conversation can continue in your new thread.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=55735
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm