Engine compatibility 99 Impreza sport

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

thatsme87
First Gear

Engine compatibility 99 Impreza sport

Post by thatsme87 »

Hey i know this is a off these wall question. But i am trying to understand why the 1999 impreza sport has a 2.2l engine ej22 block. But when i am trying to find a used engine to put in it i am being told that the only engine that works with that year is another 1999 impreza sport 2.2l engine!. But it's the block the same as another model that i could take the heads off and swap them? Or something. If any one knows or has a good forum to ask on please let me know. Think you
mike-tracy

Re: Engine compatibility 99 Impreza sport

Post by mike-tracy »

It has phase II electronics and heads. So a 99 legacy, or 99-01 Impreza 2.2L is what you need to look for to have a direct swap.

If all you needed was a different short block, then you could put literally any EJ block in there. Ej15-EJ25, any generation.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
thatsme87
First Gear

Post by thatsme87 »

When the engine has stamped on it ej22 or ej25 what does that mean about the block itself.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

That's just the displacement. Doesn't have anything to do with compression ratio, generation, piston style, whether it's from a turbo or not, etc.
thatsme87
First Gear

Post by thatsme87 »

I see that when i am looking at the cylinder heads that they have the bolts under the valve covers instead of like the old 2.2l s made around 1996 that have the bolt heads on the outside of the cylinder heads. Does this matter when looking for a donor block? Or does all the cylinderheads fit on in the same bolt holes regardless of head design.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

The bolts you are noticing are the valve cover bolts, the head bolts for all ej's are in the same spot, and thus all ej blocks will work with your heads. Ideally you want 99-01 ej22 block since all the earlier ones are lower compression. You'll be down a couple HP, and lose maybe 1-2 mpg.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

If you wanted to gain 25-30 hp, you could use a (any) ej25, though I believe you'll need to run midgrade or premium fuel. The ecu will handle it.
thatsme87
First Gear

Post by thatsme87 »

That's really amazing news, is there any sensors that go into the block that i need to worry about removing and using off my original engine so that they are not different.

I was also told i would have to make sure that the donor block was out of a automatic transmission same as what i already have because the crank shaft would be different I'd that true?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

You'll need to reuse *all* of your sensors onto the new engine, no matter what combo you use. Also, you'll need to reuse your crank sprocket, transferring it to a new block.

Regarding auto vs manual, that affected the crank sprocket teeth for particular years, but since you'll be reusing yours, no prob.

As long as you reuse your heads, head bolts, intake manifold, sensors, wiring, brackets, sprockets, anything else you can think of that came on your old block, you can use any block you want.
thatsme87
First Gear

Post by thatsme87 »

Thank you this has been really really helpful i really appreciate the help i will definitely be able to do the engine rebuild now way easier than I thought.