Lowering issues?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Danteandsoob
First Gear

Lowering issues?

Post by Danteandsoob »

So guys, I'm buying an exact clone of my current car, and it's coming with a brand new set of KYB gr2's, AND eibach 2.5rs lowing springs. What can I expect in terms of drop? I've seen pictures of both on our cars but not both together.
Kyb's = ~1"
Springs = ~1"
Together = ~2"
That sound about right?
Will I need to roll fenders? Running 195/65R15 tires.
- '93 Metallic Blue Legacy L, DD w/lots of mods
- '91 Mazda Miata, Autox fun car
Danteandsoob
First Gear

Re: Lowering issues?

Post by Danteandsoob »

I guess if this combo hasn't been done yet, i'll be the first to try and post pictures! :-D
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Struts in general should not change the ride height. There were some issues associated with the front end being raised while using KYB's meant for the 92-94 Legacies on the 90-91 legacies. This was caused by a difference in spring perch height. I do not know whether this was a concern with using 92-94 KYB's on the 92-94 Legacies.

You'll probably be in the 1.5" - 2" lowering range and no you don't need to roll your fenders.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I think kybs for a GC impreza will put the perches at the right place for a 92-94 as well.
Danteandsoob
First Gear

Post by Danteandsoob »

Okay, that's what a figured. I think they are the correct year for my subaru ('93) I just thought that the lowering springs would cause some kind of discrepancy for clearances. Brand new struts + stiffer spring will be sweet.
93Leg-c
Fourth Gear

Post by 93Leg-c »

Legacy777 wrote:Struts in general should not change the ride height. There were some issues associated with the front end being raised while using KYB's meant for the 92-94 Legacies on the 90-91 legacies. This was caused by a difference in spring perch height. I do not know whether this was a concern with using 92-94 KYB's on the 92-94 Legacies.
Using front 92-94 KYB GR-2 struts on my 93 Legacy L and my 93 ss was DEFINITELY an issue for me. With stock springs, the nose of the car was in the air about 1.5" over OEM ride height. The gap above the front tires to the bottom of the wheel arch on the fender was over 4". I was actually embarrassed to drive the car. In the end, I used Whiteline flatout lowering springs since the specs called for them lowering the car about 2", which brought the front end down about 1/2" below OEM height. You can search for my posts on the issue, which go back to 2004, I think. If the GR-2s are still made the same way as when I had issues with them, then the above information should still hold true.
'94 TW