Will 1999 Impreza strut tops fit 1991 Legacy wagon?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

totech
Second Gear

Will 1999 Impreza strut tops fit 1991 Legacy wagon?

Post by totech »

I have picked up a set of newer GC8 struts/springs complete.

On inspection, they look much larger at the top of the rear.

I have the tapered rears.

Now I have not removed the rears - I am just looking in from the top.

Thanks
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you have the springs, struts, and top mounts for the 99, you should be able to swap everything over.

If you're missing the strut tops from the 99, you will need them to get them to fit on your car.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
totech
Second Gear

Post by totech »

Well,

I did the swap, it rides great! like a new car - but..... A little too low especially in the rear for my liking....

I guess I need Legacy springs for the rear? - I assume the GC8 is lighter.

What is with those crazy cammed bolts - yeah I figured it out after the swap, and I made it the same both fronts.

Are those cammed bolts in the rear too? If so I didn't notice :oops:
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Legacy is heavy PLUS you saw the effect of the heavy wagon-butt. You're right that springs from a Legacy would be better, but the best match would be springs from a wagon. Both the spring and the gas shock will seem slightly more squishy under the added weight as compared to how it felt on the GC8. But, as long as you're not a nitpicker, it should work fine and blow away the worn-out shocks.

Yeah, mine had cammed bolts on front, but not on the rear. Just like yours. For curiosity, I asked the mechanic how they could possibly adjust the rear without cammed bolts. He said they replace the rear bolts with cammed ones if it needs to be adjusted.

By the way, common opinion seems to be that you should get a 4-wheel alignment after replacing the struts. I know you got them back in the same orientation as before, but you've got a different strut now with possibly a different geometry. Just my 2 cents.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yes, get it aligned.

You can wiggle the rear a little bit and change the alignment settings, however for bigger changes cam bolts are needed.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm