plans to fix a squishy 90-91 strut

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

plans to fix a squishy 90-91 strut

Post by scottzg »

I have a 90 legacy L 4wd sedan. Something about this sedan makes it different from the later model legacies. What exactly is it? I also have a dead right front strut. So far my plan is to buy 2 agx front struts for a later model legacy, install them and set them soft, so i can use my non busted rear struts until i have enough money to buy rears. Can i get away with this? What issues might i run into? Thanks
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
whitemr2
In Neutral

Re: plans to fix a squishy 90-91 strut

Post by whitemr2 »

scottzg wrote:So far my plan is to buy 2 agx front struts for a later model legacy, install them and set them soft, so i can use my non busted rear struts until i have enough money to buy rears. Can i get away with this? What issues might i run into?
It's OK to only replace front or rear struts (as long as you replace them as pairs). What you'll find is that your handling may be affected. If you assume that, even on the softest setting, the front struts will provide more dampening than the old ones being replaced, then that has the effect of increasing the front roll stiffness. If I remember right, increasing roll stiffness at the front results in increased understeer. Caution though, I might have that mixed up - increasing front roll stiffness might increase OVERSTEER instead. Either way, you get the point. The driving dynamics may change, but as long as you take it easy and learn the new handling characteristics, you'll be fine.

I don't know what makes your sedan different from the later models.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

thats true, but that doesnt really address my concern. My worries are

a: will the shock be compatable with the older legacy spring design i have, as its not listed as being compatable on any literature i've found. It's something about the top...

b: I plan to do all four struts, and i thought maybe the agx's would be soft enough to not totally wierd out my suspension in between replacements (im a busy/poor guy)

On a side note, the softer setting the more prone it is to slide, you can figure out how the car will handle based on that.

Thanks All!
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Dude, your local! How about if I offer you a great deal on my use KYB GR2. If you look on the I-club you could verify that I only installed these recently.

I like the GR2, and I was just going to keep them around as extras. I found a really good deal on someones AGX from his wrecked car.

Interested? They are currently installed on my legacy and if you like you could drive it to get a feel for them. I could probably even help install them
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If you buy AGX's for a 92-94 legacy they should bolt up and fit fine.

Even with the softest setting, you will have mixed handling characteristics. Stiffer front struts will increase understeer.

Problem you are goin to run into is when you do the rears. The springs may or may not work. I know the 90-91 have the tapered rears. But the base should be the same.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

sweet ciper, ill prolly hit you up on that. Check out your private messages.
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

a: will the shock be compatable with the older legacy spring design i have, as its not listed as being compatable on any literature i've found. It's something about the top...

b: I plan to do all four struts, and i thought maybe the agx's would be soft enough to not totally wierd out my suspension in between replacements (im a busy/poor guy)
answer a) They are compatible with my 90 wagon. I chose the same AGX's they suggest for other years of the Impreza and Legacy - I don't know why they don't list them for 90-91. See my raving review in the "reviews" forum.

What you heard about fitment is semi-true, but it only causes problems if you are upgrading springs. Shocks upgrades fit fine on all years. The deal is, our 90-91's have conical (tapered) springs on the rear of the car. These springs are wider at the top so they have special, wider top mounts to fit these weird springs. As a result, most aftermarket springs don't fit your top mounts. Luckily, you won't have any problems if you are only replacing the shocks.

answer b) Even the softest setting is much stiffer than worn-out stock shocks, so you will get UNDER steer.... especially in quick transitions. But, I guess it wouldn't be too bad. Just try to avoid those emergency maneuvers :wink:

Enjoy them!!!
Last edited by rallysam on Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

What you heard about fitment is semi-true, but it only causes problems if you are upgrading springs. Shocks upgrades fit fine on all years. The deal is, our 90-91's have conical (tapered) springs on the rear of the car. These springs are wider at the top so they have special, wider top mounts to fit these weird springs. As a result, most aftermarket springs don't fit your top mounts. Luckily, you won't have any problems if you are only replacing the shocks.
Not sure if I read your post correctly, but are you saying the 90-91 conical springs are wider at the top? If so, this is incorrect. It's the other way around. They are wider at the base and taper to a smaller diameter at the top.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Well, you could be right. I thought I remembered seeing that the the tops were abnormally wide rather than abnormally small, but in either case it doesn't affect choice of shocks.

Point is, shock fitment is fine. The problem area is spring upgrades on 90-91.
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com