How to Repair a Leaking Steering rack: Subaru Legacy, '90-94

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: How to Repair a Leaking Steering rack: Subaru Legacy, '9

Post by kimokalihi »

Hmmm interesting I'll keep that in mind. I just know my 1/2" torque wrench which goes to 250 is not going anywhere near 3.6 ft-lbs. Don't know why subaru didn't put it in in-lbs. Even my 3/8" torque wrench (RIP) didn't go down that low. I think 20 is the bottom end of the scale and it doesn't feel too accurate down there.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Someone should grab turbo racks from the junkyard and use these steps to build "new" ones which can then be sold to other members.
Elcapitan
First Gear

Post by Elcapitan »

Hey quick que,

I remember reading the part number for the kit somewhere but cant seem to find it. Any one know what it is? Also would someone be willing to send it to me(Africa and our dealer knows not of it.) Id pay obviously :)
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You can d/l the parts book from me, and it should have all the part #'s for the kit. You can get the link in the stuff you need to know forum.

As for shipping to Africa...if you don't get any other takers, PM me and we can discuss.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Elcapitan
First Gear

Post by Elcapitan »

Thanks Josh (Wasn't sure if i should call you that but thanx site admin sounded funny)

Will PM you once I am ready time and money wise. Thank you. A couple other questions, is there a write up on how I can actually get the rack of the car? The tutorial starts with the rack off. I am fairly technical but with stuff i have never tackled - especially something that will ground the car until I am done, I'd rather follow instructions. Also what is the take on cleaning the rack with kerosene or gasoline as opposed to the steam wash?
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)
Elcapitan
First Gear

Post by Elcapitan »

Also forgot to mention that I already downloaded the manuals (Way back when I joined) Thank you for those.

Any take on the other questions?
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, by all means, you can call me Josh :)

As for removing the rack from the car, it's relatively straight forward.

Code: Select all

- Remove the lines coming to the rack from the power steering pump 
- Loosen the bolt holding the steering shaft u-joint to the rack (Make sure to mark the orientation of where
   the joint & steering rack spline goes together so you can match it up when you're done.  Otherwise your 
   steering wheel will be off)
- Remove the tie rod ends from the spindles
- Remove the bolts holding the steering rack clampst to the sub frame and the rack should drop down
As for cleaning, I'd suggest kerosene or mineral spirits over gasoline.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Elcapitan
First Gear

Post by Elcapitan »

Thanx man. Cheerz
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)
Elcapitan
First Gear

Post by Elcapitan »

Ok so I was reading this again and noted the listed part number as listed for LHDs. Does any one know if it is any different for RHD cars?
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm not sure if they're different, but you can d/l the parts book from me and reference the part numbers and compare whether the LHD & RHD are the same.

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=30531
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Elcapitan
First Gear

Post by Elcapitan »

Hey I did check but was unable to find a definitive answer. Actually I could not even find the listed part no in this thread (34128AA211). What i found under LHD was seal kits and repair kits 34128AA000 and 34128AA170 respectively and under RHD 341260GA500 in column section SW with a one under /L RHD?? Any ideas
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

Hi guys,

Been awhile since I've been here. Good to see people are actually trying out the simple and reliable, home brew steering rack rebuild. It really is the best way to go if the rack is in fair to good condition. Not to mention, it gives people a sense of independence, an opportunity to take care of things themselves.

Klein-Kid, you did well. Let us know if you ever see a leak. Using OE parts and the grind method along with new OE boots should make the auto leak free for at least 100k miles. The Subie of this writeup is still right as rain, 3 years later.
bry
First Gear

Post by bry »

Elcapitan wrote:Hey I did check but was unable to find a definitive answer. Actually I could not even find the listed part no in this thread (34128AA211). What i found under LHD was seal kits and repair kits 34128AA000 and 34128AA170 respectively and under RHD 341260GA500 in column section SW with a one under /L RHD?? Any ideas
Use whatever your Subaru dealer tells you is the current part. The manufacturer reserves the right to upgrade or modify kits and part numbers. Be sure to ask if you are getting the necessary components as shown in the pic.
Elcapitan
First Gear

Post by Elcapitan »

bry wrote:
Elcapitan wrote:Hey I did check but was unable to find a definitive answer. Actually I could not even find the listed part no in this thread (34128AA211). What i found under LHD was seal kits and repair kits 34128AA000 and 34128AA170 respectively and under RHD 341260GA500 in column section SW with a one under /L RHD?? Any ideas
Use whatever your Subaru dealer tells you is the current part. The manufacturer reserves the right to upgrade or modify kits and part numbers. Be sure to ask if you are getting the necessary components as shown in the pic.
Lets just say customer care really isn't that helpful or friendly around here :)
MY 91 legacy RS (Erin)
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

bry wrote:
The pinion assembly will not be resealed as these seals usually don’t leak. The pinion, unlike the rack, experiences only rotational motion and is not subject to high contamination or heat. Clean the pinion teeth and ball bearing, and set the assembly aside.
Well I should have paid attention to the " Usually " Don't Leak part of that. :smt013

Just finished Re-building and installing it, only for it to piss out the upper seal on the pinion housing :!:

FML :smt010
Build Thread : HERE
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
84 Jetta Coupe. Real Project
99 A4 Avant. Wife's Daily
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

So I would Suggest also Purchasing :

Seal Kit A: P# 34128AA050

To Avoid Possibly having to rip your rack back out of the Vehicle and re-doing it, Not being able to insure it and get it on the road after 2 & A 1/2 Years :!: :smt022
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That sucks.....but thanks for the p/n
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Pretty sure mine is leak free and still working. Wasn't much improvement but my lines are kinked and the pump is worn I think.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
CFK
Second Gear

Post by CFK »

Well I got the seal Kit A for the Pinion housing. Looks difficult and like I might need a press. Gonna maybe attempt this, if I Can't do it. I'll bring it to the dealer and have them do it. Can't see it being that much labour :?

Legacy FSM Section 4, Chapter 3, Page 165 - 170

Ya, I really don't like the looks of that.
92 SS 5MT. Project Daily