Front and rear bars for 91 L wagon or at least a rear bar?

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

WRXish
First Gear

Front and rear bars for 91 L wagon or at least a rear bar?

Post by WRXish »

Ok guys I have serious question here...I have a 91 Legacy L wagon with factory front bar and no rear bar, I want to put a set of bars on the car if possible. Failing that I would settle for a small rear bar to go with the factory front bar. Trouble is, I have not been able to find a resource for either option. Can anyone please help me with this?
mike-tracy

Re: Front and rear bars for 91 L wagon or at least a rear ba

Post by mike-tracy »

Are you wondering what bars fit, or are you wanting to buy a bar? If its the latter, post a new thread in the Parts Shed. The easiest bolt on option for the rear would be from a 91-94 turbo wagon or sedan, 1st generation wagon with air suspension, or 96-99 Outback. These are all around 18mm and fit perfect on your car. For the front, it needs to be a non turbo bar, and the 19mm 1996-1999 outback bar is an upgrade as well.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

You basically just need rear lateral links and brackets. I think we have an "adding a rear swaybar thread" around somewhere..

96-99 Legacy GT I think hass a 20mm front bar. I've gone through a few different combos, and like having the rear bar the same diameter or a bit larger than the front for these cars.

I lik my current 22/22mm bars, and liked just having the 22mm rear bar on soft with the stock 20mm front. 18/18 on my old car was also nice.

edit: found the add a swaybar thread, pictures seem to be broken. I probably have them around somewhere.
SILINC3R
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by SILINC3R »

Jamal is back!!!!!!!
Tony
90 LS Spec rio red sold
91 SS rio red R.I.P
90 Mazda Miata
2005 GT SWP
92ss satinsvoice wrote:LOL! that block was like F*** THIS! IM OUT!
mike-tracy wrote:Word. I'd love to get my hands on one of those trannies, but I just can't stomach the cost
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

Ok, my bad, quick update on situation...it does indeed have a bar but it wasnt where I looked lol...yeah I know blind in one eye cant see out of the other. Would still like to go with larger bars at both ends...I think I will start with upgrading the bar bushings and see what that gets me...might be enough and much cheaper. Still if someone has a line on a full set that would be noticably larger than whats on it...I would pull the trigger in a heartbeat. I am supposing the factory bar size is 18 or 19 mm at both ends of the car?
Pntaste4evr99
Winestone Cowboy

Post by Pntaste4evr99 »

Why not just go whiteline frt and rear? They are pricey though
94 Winestone SS 5MT Rob 550 20g. (Pickle)
Original WA car with 460k miles and climbing
SouperPoo
First Gear

Post by SouperPoo »

I'm running a 20mm up front off an Outback and have been waiting 4 months for Whiteline to bake another batch of 22mm rears. I paid 215 through energy suspension and contacted whiteline who said I may have to wait another 9 months. It's a sad sad joke.
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

to Pntaste and Souper....I spent over an hour online with whiteline the other day...and they came up with nothing that would fit the rear of the car. Basically wasted my time and then the email they were to send me with specific information never arrived...or at least not yet. So whiteline may not get any more attention from me. I just really cant stand poor customer service. There is no excuse for it.
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

I am probably going to upgrade rear bar bushings to as hard a material as I can go and see if that gives me enough bar to neutralize handling...and leave well enough alone if it does. As it stands, it sticks as well in the corners as my 2009 WRX does according to the butt g-meter, so hard to complain too much...but reducing body roll would help it some to be sure
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

They used to make a rear bar for the 90-91, but it has been discontinued. Part number started with BSR17. They also had a kit that included mounting brackets and tabs that clamped onto the lateral links for cars without a swaybar.

To ensure good fitment it's best to track down some 92-99 (or impreza) rear lateral links and swap to that style of bar/endlink. BSR19XXZ is the only aftermarket rear swaybar I know of that is still "available" for the Legacy. I guess it might still work with the older endlink setup but I don't know.

Looking up the part number at one of my distributors it says "ETA to ship: 08/03/2016," but I can send some emails to see what the deal is.

Since the front bar (BSF19XZ) also fits many Impreza models that one is probably more readily available, but the 22mm whiteline bar on soft with a 20mm OEM front bar from a legacy GT or something is a good combo.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

I can confirm the legacy specific rear bar fits either end link style.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Heard back about these today.

Fronts might be coming on whiteline's next air shipment, but the US guys don't know for sure, and don't know if there will be enough to cover the existing backorders.

Rear bars are on a boat, will be another month or two before they arrive.

So, for anyone who wants to buy a set, if you were to place an order somewhere now, it could be over 2 months before you got them. Perhaps even longer for a front bar.

Some of you might have noticed the little "vendor" thing below my username. I sell parts and am a whiteline dealer, but would not feel comfortable taking anyone's money for swaybars at this moment. If front bars come in soon, and if there are still some available, I can let people who are interested know.
SouperPoo
First Gear

Post by SouperPoo »

Thanks for the info on shipment. The bar I have ordered is the BSR19XXZ 22mm rear and to know mine may be out there in the 7 seas is good news.
WRXish
First Gear

Post by WRXish »

thanks for the feedback guys, and the info on shipment...I ended up with the 19xxz rear bar and the matching front one on backorder...figure I will install the rear when I do the shocks since I will be up under the car anyway...and I will take your advice and install it full soft...with the stock bars it is a very resolute understeerer except under dropped throttle...hehe...