I need a new control arm

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Grant
Second Gear

I need a new control arm

Post by Grant »

I hit a curb on the way to work this morning and totally jacked my front right (passenger) control arm. Anyone know where I can find a write up on replacing this or anyone want to give me some instruction on how to do it.
Thanks
Grant
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

Pick up a copy of the Haynes manual. it'll have all the steps in there, and if you don't have one already it's prolly a good idea to get one.

Basically, you'll have to un-bolt it from teh chassis and swaybar. 2 chassis bolts and one swaybar bolt. next there's a retainer bolt in the hub that helps keep it in place, remove that. Now you have to wrestle the control arm from the hub. The hand of God Himself holds it in there. No kidding. My year-old TS gave me several hours of agony trying to get it out. perhaps mine was in there tighter than usual. The trick I found was that there is a slit where that retainer bolt was. you can stick a screwdriver in there and get some good leverage on it. that'll widen the socket a little bit. 10-year-old rust is more stable than most welding jobs tho, so jsut give yourself some time and try not to hurt your steering arm balljoint. That's pretty much it. after that you jsut ahve to get the new one in place and bolt it back up.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.