Stock WRX shifter vs. STi SS vs. Kartboy

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Stock WRX shifter vs. STi SS vs. Kartboy

Post by Legacy777 »

sorry for the copy & paste from nabisco, but it's got some pertenant info.

Ok.....as some may or may not know....I recently did a 5spd & AWD conversion on my legacy. I put in an Sti short throw because the linkage on the donor car was crap.

I have not been happy with the shifting. It is notchy, and just doesn't shift smoothly. I just put in some NEO synthetic. It doesn't seem to shift much smoother. Maybe a little, but I'll need more seat time.

I also recently got a hold of a stock WRX shifter. I put that in to test it out. Surprisingly it was smoother, however felt a little more vague.

I put the kartboy bushings in the stock WRX shifter and it did feel more precise.

Here are some pictures
http://main.experiencetherave.com:8080/ ... /shifters/

I also took some measurments of the shifter throw from the center of the shift knob. The stock WRX shifter with KB bushings had a 2" throw from 3rd to N and from N to 4th. The STi shifter with KB bushings had a 1 3/4" throw from 3rd to N and from N to 4th.

What I'd like to know is, how does the Kartboy shifter feel? Is it notchy feeling like the STi? I understand any short shifter will require more effort to shift, that's inherent of the design. But must it also feel notchy and hard to shift?

To be quite honest, I'd sooner use the stock WRX shifter and get smoother shifts then put up with the STi.

I'd be interested in trying the kartboy if I can get some comments on whether it's notchy like the sti.

edit: one more thing I found was that the stock joint piece was creating about 1/4" of slop at the top of the shifter knob. it was the joint that is riveted that has the slop, not the one that bolts up. I've been thinking on how I can tweak it. I may do something in the future.

It's this piece for those that don't know
http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/ima ... P_3315.JPG
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
chrisshara
First Gear

Re: Stock WRX shifter vs. STi SS vs. Kartboy

Post by chrisshara »

I suppose I'll be the guinea pig, since no one has responded about the Kartboy shifter and try one out and fill everyone in.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I have one and love it (and carry kartboy parts).

Shifting is not harder, and if you are driving well the shifts should be easy and the syncros should not have to do much work. Hard to shift is an indication you are doing something wrong, and if anything the reduced leverage will show this more clearly and make you a better driver.

I also have the front and rear bushings, pivot bushings, and replaced the u-joint linkage bushings, so there is very little play in the shifting and a very direct feel.

Is "notchy" a bad thing? doesn't that mean you can clearly feel the shifter engaging the gears?

And do they work with the older shift linkages? There are some pictures of mine here:
http://jamalb.net/gallery/v/98lgt/drive/?g2_page=3
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I never saw this thread. I have the wrx 5spd linkage with all poly bushings including the kartboy rear bushing and the linkage joint which is not serviceable (new with new bushings from subaru) and I have a kartboy 5spd wrx short throw shifter. I think it dropped an inch or so in height from the stock wrx shifter. Doesn't shift as smooth as a stock honda trans but its not bad at all. I like it a lot but I haven't found subaru transmissions to shift that easily to begin with. With all new bushings (20k miles ago) the shifter is solid. No play. Feels great. I highly recommend all of the above. Find a used kartboy shifter though. Mine was like $45 shipped I think from nasioc. Or I think they're $120 new.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

The linkage is servicable if you drill out the rivet and replace it with another bolt. I did that and got some nylon bushings from mcmaster that fit.
Last edited by jamal on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The wrx shift linkage is a different width than the gc and 1st gen legacy shifter. They make one for the gc though that will fit.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Right my car uses the GC version. But I thought that the older cars were different for some reason.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Its 90-01 and 02-07 as far as I know.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

I've run delrin bushings in a stock WRX linkage and love it. Its very firm and direct without increasing effort or moving the lever farther from the steering wheel.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I guess I never updated this thread....I did run the Kartboy shifter lever with the WRX linkage and didn't care for it. It required more effort to get into gear than I wanted, plus would also promote grinding due to "quicker" shifts and syncros not matching speed.

My issues may be transmission specific, but those were my observations.

Regarding the lever....I had though the shifter linkage was different in the first gen Legacy and wouldn't accept any of the current/new style shifter levers. Can anyone confirm or deny this? I know the lever width is different on the 02+ Impreza vs. the 93-01 Impreza, but didn't know if the first gen Legacy shifter linkage would accept the 93-01 Impreza lever.

The shifter joint needs to match whichever style shifter linkage you use. I do not believe you can use the older Legacy shifter joint with the newer style shifter linkage. I seem to recall seeing pictures, but would need to search to point out the direct differences.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm not understanding your question. You can use a 93-01 shift lever on a 1st gen legacy. The width is the same. Are yoy talking about something else? Got a picture?
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Some of the older shifters are like this:

(minus that fancy heim joint)

and then they went to this:

And then the later style is like this:

So it might be necessary to change the whole linkage out to use a newer short shifter.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

What years had that old shifter?
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Something along the lines of 90-92, 93-96, 97-01, and then 02-07.

And as far as getting one of these things goes, it depends on what you're looking for. If you just want a stick with zero feedback that just goes into different places for different gears, you probably don't want one.
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

jamal wrote:If you just want a stick with zero feedback that just goes into different places for different gears, you probably don't want one.
That was funny! I've always thought Subaru 5mt's have an industrial or agricultural feel to them. Personally I have a B&M short shifter, which seems to be one of the longest short shifters, coupled to an 04 WRX shift linkage. That combined with kartboy bushings greatly improves shifting feel, but... still feels truck like.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
chrisshara
First Gear

Post by chrisshara »

WOW ! Awesome info here. I'm really glad I brought this topic back to life. Thanks for all the detailed info.
94 Legacy GT
95 BMW (E36) 325ic
81 BMW (E12) 528i
04 Outback
02 Acura TL Type S
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Here are blow up diagrams of the first gen Legacy shifters & linkage and the 02+ WRX

90-94 Legacy

02+ WRX
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT