anyone put a short throw shifter on a fwd 90-subaru?B&M?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

HomeSlice
Third Gear

anyone put a short throw shifter on a fwd 90-subaru?B&M?

Post by HomeSlice »

has anyone put a short throw shifter on a fwd 90-up subaru? does the B&M fit fwd???what does the B&M come with? is it just the lever? i am trying to put a wrx shift linkage in my 93 fwd legacy and i came across a couple of problems. 1st i needed a adapter for the top linkage to hook up to the wrx shifter. this comes off the tranny. i got one off a wrx. the hole where the roll pin goes thru is sideways on fwd versus up and down on awd. so i drilled a new hole, no prob with that. when i went to put it in the 2nd prob came along. the bottom bar on the awd is longer then the 2wd. i have access to a welder and a machine shop so i choped the 2wd legacy bar off and welded it on the wrx shifter. now it fits in there great. looks good. but it does not shift right. it looks to be that i need the top bar longer....when i go to shift into first the ball wants to pop out.....3rd the back bushing(toward the back of car) on a fwd is lower then the awd. i tryed both but the awd bushing mount fits better. no improvement ball still wants to pop out...im stumped any advice? maybe some one have went through this already. i really wanted to install this wrx kartboy i got a great deal on but i dont think it can work now......i should of went with the DIY short shifter....oh hells--any help or advice would be fab-
thanks,
Jim
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.
ekongrue
In Neutral

trying to put wrx shifter on 90 fwd legacy

Post by ekongrue »

I also having problem putting in wrx shifter on my 90 fwd legacy, seems like my stock shifter is longer, so the wrx shifter is too short to bolt on to the mounting point.
https://49web.uncc.edu/~ekongrue/PICTUR ... legacy.jpg
HomeSlice
Third Gear

Post by HomeSlice »

yea scrap the idea of putting it on a fwd the whole geometry is different. if it was awd it would be a different story. your best bet is doing the diy shifter thats what i ended up doing. wierd thing is your fwd shifter is different then mine. this is what mine looked like. here is a link also how to do the diy shifter http://www.legacycentral.org/library/diy_ss.htm at least you didnt go the extra route and buy the adpter for the top linkage for $50 also anyone who needs on give me a pm i need to unload it. anyways welcome to the website.

cheers,
Jim
MY93BC Legacy Sonora Sand---> black plasti-dip?
MY93GC Impreza Amethyst--> Glacier/aspen/pd White
93BC"edm" 93GC 90BC R.I.P.