4eat 3rd gear doesn't even exist?!

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

tahoe.ss
In Neutral

4eat 3rd gear doesn't even exist?!

Post by tahoe.ss »

first post: please don't flame. . . i've searched and read and searched and read.

so i got my '91 ss auto to run and drive all the way to my house( a whole mile and a half) but the whole way here it seemed to be in nuetral every time it should have gone for third? it'd bounce the rev limiter if you didn't release the throttle. 1st and 2nd work fine(pulls pretty hard for not running the last three years)
fourth seemed to work but everytime i gave it a little throttle to see if it would hold in fourth, it'd downshift for third again and rev with no resistance.

i hate auto's, that's why it's my first in over twenty import sports cars. thus my inexperience with the overcomplications and under-reliability of them. i'm not stupid, in fact i'm a proffesional mechanic for over ten years now. i'm just tired of searching when i could just ask.

does anyone know or have any idea for what is causing this? i'm gonna change the fluid and filter today and check my third gear shift solenoid(If i can find the pinout for the damn thing) but any other suggestions or past similar experiences would be really REALLY appreciated.

also is anyone knowledgeable in the norcal area? im in south lake tahoe so from reno, NV to the bay area? it'd be nice to meet some locals with these cars. thanks for any help again.

Gabe
i wish my subaru ran like my rotary!!?
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

There is probably a external tranny filter. I would replace that, and change the transmission fluid. See if that works. Sounds like your going to need to swap the transmission though. Still does not hurt to try this and possibly try adding a additive.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
tahoe.ss
In Neutral

Post by tahoe.ss »

also found today the trans to be a bit overfilled. i've got the trans filter and pan gasket kit, is there another? you said external. . .
Buffman
Second Gear

Post by Buffman »

yeah there's an external filter up by the driver's side of the motor. Only available from the dealer. You buy the kit for $14 instead of just the filter for $70!

31099AA091
1992 Legacy LS Special Wagon..
wfoote
In Neutral

Post by wfoote »

Third gear relies on the high clutch pack. The problem could also be in the valve body ( a stuck valve ) or the TCU itself.

I had a 4eat with this symptom and it turned out to be a burned up clutch pack. I wound up pulling the tranny and installing a master rebuild kit. The kit came with new steels and friction disks. Check out RockAuto.com. FWIW, the high clutch pack is in the front of the transmission just behind the pump.

You could try changing fluid and filters but I suspect if the problem were one of low pressure or inadequate fluid delivery you would be seeing other symptoms.

good luck
84 GL Wagon - sold
84 DL Wagon - sold
92 L Wagon - sold
96 LS Wagon
93 SS daily driver
1946 BC-12D Taylorcraft restoration (airplane)
Me - retired engineer and pilot / flight instructor
tahoe.ss
In Neutral

Post by tahoe.ss »

wfoote, buffman thanks for your info. i'll pin out the solenoid, clean and check the valve body while i change the pan filter and fluid, and get back to you guys. snow's almost flying so i'm running out of time.

my rotary hates me
tahoe.ss
In Neutral

Post by tahoe.ss »

ok, soo i couldn't decide how much work i was willing to put into this auto and i left it for a day. got in it again after work today to run an errand and all the sudden third gear starts trying to work.

soo i think its a sticky valve. . .

now my code 22 and 35 seem to be causing some crappy timing, err fall on it's face over 20/30% throttle on boost, that may be throwing it into the wrong gear via vac opperated kick-down?

any ideas guys?