Finally a real rwd option is in the works

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mellow65
First Gear

Finally a real rwd option is in the works

Post by mellow65 »

I can take only partial credit for this. i got it rolling, it's Bill that's the master mind that makes it beautiful.

ladies and gentlemen a real rwd subaru transmission option. :)

and before the haters start hating, it's not all about making yours or my subaru rwd. i got this going because i want to use a subaru motor in something else but didn't want to use a modified subaru trans. But for those that want to do that to their subaru, well here's at least an option that wont blow up.

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/sho ... p?t=111709
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Finally a real rwd option is in the works

Post by evolutionmovement »

No hate here as I'm doing the same thing, but I was looking into using an RX7 gen. II transmission as I heard that they work, are cheap, light, small, and I love the gear ratios, but I've only heard that they work from a second-hand source (at least).
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Wow! how exciting! i wonder how much he will be asking?
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

evolutionmovement wrote:No hate here as I'm doing the same thing, but I was looking into using an RX7 gen. II transmission as I heard that they work, are cheap, light, small, and I love the gear ratios, but I've only heard that they work from a second-hand source (at least).

well i have an rx7 trans and i had it next to the subaru motor, it really wasn't close enough to warrant me fiddling with it much more then setting them next to each other. the W series trans has some options for ratios depending on what you got them from.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_W_transmission

anything from a w55 to w59.

i got a w58 because it was the closest to a "close ratio" you can get. and even the w55 is pretty dang close to stock subaru ratios.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

Florin1 wrote:Wow! how exciting! i wonder how much he will be asking?
no real word on price yet. but he's always said, "whats the point of building something if no one can afford it".

so basically no need to get a second on the house or sell the wife to afford these. :D

as an example, his main gig is making rwd bell housing for the fwd/awd 4g63, (turbo and NA motor from the eclipse) his 4g63 to W series tranny is $275. that includes everything down to the slave cylinder. now i'm not saying it's going to be that cheap as he has many years to refine the 4g63 bell housing, but hell if it's in the ball park, i'm getting 2. :-D
93tw5spd
In Neutral

Post by 93tw5spd »

very cool, seems like a pretty legit way to finally get a rwd set up. now for the price....
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

No hate here as I'm doing the same thing, but I was looking into using an RX7 gen. II transmission as I heard that they work, are cheap, light, small, and I love the gear ratios, but I've only heard that they work from a second-hand source (at least).
\
They are kinda close but need modding still.Even then nothing mazda is up to par compared to toyota stuff,those trannys are light and small because they can be,the engines that they go behind are more suited to lawn equipment. :mrgreen:
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I'm only going to be running an EJ22 in a sub 1500 lbs. car, so I'm not as concerned with stress, however, now that it's going to have two rear wheels (thanks to government BS), it's a little more concern than it was. None of that matters, though, if he's going to be selling bellhousings for the Toyota transmissions for anywhere near that cheap. Before I finally decided to go to 4 stinking wheels (though rwd, so that's good), I was going to build it fwd with the fwd EJ22 engine/transmission backwards running a reverse cut ring and pinion and those gears alone were going to run me $1500.

So, I'm pretty damn excited about this option! Shit, with a W58, I could go nuts and turbocharge it (hell, the P-47 was turbocharged, right?!) without any worries at all. Though I'd like a slightly taller top gear, I won't complain.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

and if you missed it hes going to make work on either a W or R series tranny. the Rs came behind the turbo supra, if you can break on of those you are cool in my book.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

What do those things weigh, though? Hm, the R154 does have a taller top gear.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

the w58s are less then a subaru one, but those r154s are BEEFY but no idea what they weigh
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Found dimensions online with the two transmissions compared side to side! And though the dimensions don't include the bell housing (which would be different in our case anyway) they don't seem like they'll be longer than the Subaru.

http://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/tec ... oxes2.html

For future reference if the website goes away:

W58 width @ sandwich plate~center: 8.5"
R158 width @ sandwich plate~center: 9.5"

W58, R158 length from bell housing mating surface to tail: 22.25"

W58 input shaft length from bell housing mating surface: 6"
R158 input shaft length from bell housing mating surface: 6.75"
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

heres a pic of a w58 and a subaru tranny side by side with the input shafts lined up pretty close.

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

That is a lot of work for it to be reasonably priced. If it's under $1000 I'd be surprised, unless he works for really cheap.

Fantastic fabrication though.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

for an example his 4g63 to W series trans is $275. i dont expect it to be that cheap, but all his bell hosungs start the same way. just like you see in those pics
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

but on the high end his 4g63 to t56 is $500 and something. but you get a bunch of stuff with that one.

but thats the reason i contacted him when i saw his work and the price he charges.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

93forestpearl wrote:That is a lot of work for it to be reasonably priced. If it's under $1000 I'd be surprised, unless he works for really cheap.

Fantastic fabrication though.
he just gave a guess on price being in the mid $300 range. looks like you get to be surprised. :smt103
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

SWEET!! that is exciting! I bought my w58 for $150 last year!

So once he makes his prototype, does he autocad it or whatever, and just have the specs in the computer, or does he do each one by hand every time?
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

Florin1 wrote:SWEET!! that is exciting! I bought my w58 for $150 last year!

So once he makes his prototype, does he autocad it or whatever, and just have the specs in the computer, or does he do each one by hand every time?
he actually does full castings of his bell housing. then goes in after the casting to finish up the machined surfaced and holes and what not.

from his other work i have seen, it's excellent quality for the money. and really it would be excellent quality for something way more expensive.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

He's got an order here. Even if my plans change again, I'll find a use for it or, at the least, I'd have no problem reselling it.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

i think he's going to probably find that there is more of a market for an adapter for a subaru then the mitsu motor. this would work on pretty much anything made from 90+. the 4g63, well it's was in a bunch of things and a great motor but never had the interchangeability of a subaru EJ motor.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Yeah, it would work with an EG33, too. Damn this efficient streak in me—Tigershark with a flat 6 would be unbelievable.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

evolutionmovement wrote:He's got an order here. Even if my plans change again, I'll find a use for it or, at the least, I'd have no problem reselling it.
+1
Mellow65- You should forward him this thread too...
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

the main reason i gave the link to his build thread was so we can go to him and save him from having to go to each subaru forum. the guy is doing all the work building a masterpiece i think the least we can do is follow the thread to see when its done. also when its all done im going to make the rounds again and let people know its done.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Thank you. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates the effort. I probably never would have known about this otherwise.