Finally a real rwd option is in the works

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: Finally a real rwd option is in the works

Post by kimokalihi »

Looks awesome. Really turned out well.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

ladies and germs it's time

after about a year and a half of waiting it's time.

you too can now have a RWD bell housing.

here is a quote from him regarding the minor details of it.

and before anyone asks this is the run down of parts

Subaru:
NA flywheel
NA starter
NA pressure plate
pilot bearing
NA hydraulic clutch fork and slave cylinder

Toyota:
transmission
clutch disc

ALSO, this is NOT a bolt in kit to anything. this is just the magic key to connect a EJ motor to a RWD transmission. the rest will be up to you.

call him and order yours today, and your welcome. :D

the kit runs $425.00 that includes the housing , throw out bearing and throw out bearing collar plus shipping

I need to know what trans you intend to use before I can cut the housing, it can use either the W 55/59 Toyota trans in either 2wd or 4wd or it can use the R 151 & 150 Toyota trans in either 4wd or 2wd

They will all be machined to use the 8 bolt engine bolt pattern

japaneseauto1978@yahoo.com
Bill
419 367 1758 cell
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I thought this was also going to fit the 154. Would that also work or is it only the truck transmissions listed?
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

sadly the 154s have a longer input shaft then the Ws and the 150/151s and because of that it wasn't going to work. we had talked about making a spacer to take up the extra room so someone could run a 154, so it's not out of the question.

this just fits the "masses". it's a rwd or 4x4 tranny option. it's the way i had to sell it to him was from the stand point of buggys, or guys that lift their subarus. the 2wd versions of the 4x4 tranny was a just an easy option.

that all aside, the r150 is a stout tranny. it's kind of the grand father of the 154s.

it is what it is, I never claimed it to be perfect, it's just an option. i'm going to just run my w58 and beat the snot out of it because i can find them for $50-100 all day long. but i'm also not going to have a turbo car either.

call him and talk to him if you like, he's a nice guy. ask him what he would want to make it work for the 154s. i know he's familiar with them, he has bell housings to mate them to a 4g63.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

That's cool, thanks for the information. The truck transmissions might still work out fine for me. I'll have to do some calculations. I suppose shorter is better anyway.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

yeah it kind of sucks with the Rs because it was only in a truck, so you are limited to one set of gear ratios, which actually isn't to far off from the subarus.

at least with the Ws you get a couple different gearing selections depending on what you get them from.

i got mine from a celica/supra, so it had closer gearing.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

mellow65 wrote: it is what it is, I never claimed it to be perfect, it's just an option. i'm going to just run my w58 and beat the snot out of it because i can find them for $50-100 all day long.
This is the key to success.
The W5x trans is stout enough, widely available, and cheap. It came in a number of vehicles, with a range of ratios and has a selection of shifter locations. Reasons enough to stick with what works. And if one were set on a R154, he could always have a spacer machined to take up the extra length.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Oh, so is that W55 through 59 or either or? I'm not as worried about strength as any of them will be better than the Subaru one and the one I'd use in the project car is going to be completely unstressed in a 1500-1800 lbs car.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

yup, w55-w59. any of those will work. :-D
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Awesome! W58 looks like a winner to me!
Grayguy
Second Gear

Finally a real rwd option is in the works

Post by Grayguy »

Wow, that price is lower than I expected. What kind of power levels would a W5x hold? I've had a few Toyotas, but nothing besides 22REs in them so I never really stressed one.

I've been dreaming of a summer set up of a RWD eg33 with a smallish turbo, and just convert it back to AWD for the winter and detune it.
Last edited by Grayguy on Sat May 21, 2011 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

the Ws i have heard in that 300hp range, the Rs 400.

it's just all going to depend how you drive it really.
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

i just blew up my tranny for the third time in 6 months. i just got done ordering all the parts i need. cant wait to put the w58 in. its going to be sick!!! i'll be drifting for dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys.
92 turbo legacy: RWD W58 SWAP, td04, 3"tbe, mbc, fmic, wrx brakes/hubs, wrx seats, welded 4.11, fcd, drift steering wheel, Drifting Stickers
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

x2hawt4ux wrote:i just blew up my tranny for the third time in 6 months. i just got done ordering all the parts i need. cant wait to put the w58 in. its going to be sick!!! i'll be drifting for dayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys.
please please make a thread with details of the build. I'm really interested in some RELIABLE RWD lego action.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

ive been rwd for about 4 years now and have no tranny issues other then a worn out bearing...

its all about how you drive it.
biggreen96
Third Gear

Post by biggreen96 »

We can't all be super smooth, "don't tip the water cup" drift samurais like you dude! I'm interested in RWD for rally stage rally too. So the beefier the better. Oh and I didn't see your car down at Formula drift, what gives? I would have liked to check it out and BS.
You have to drive and you and have to try if you want the win, you don't achieve anything if you just cruise around - Jari-Matti Latvala
Long live the forums! Down with FB!
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

spun a bearing in cali, im probably done for this season. stupid money
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

well i like to break all the teeth off second gear while doing monster burnouts...lol and yes im going to dedicate a thread to the entire build. to make it work you do need to buy a custom driveline cost, unknown. :? but ive already spent 800 on parts so why not.
92 turbo legacy: RWD W58 SWAP, td04, 3"tbe, mbc, fmic, wrx brakes/hubs, wrx seats, welded 4.11, fcd, drift steering wheel, Drifting Stickers
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

Custom drilling shouldn't be too bad. I think my buddy spent under 200 for his Ram.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

sweet. good to hear. so florin. are you going to continue drifting.
Florin1
Fourth Gear

Post by Florin1 »

I sure am. Once i get to fixing her up a little. I kinda pulled parts off it to get my 94 up and running. So now i need to get a mbc, 90* elbow for the turbo, and a maf. I believe thats it. And i also need help from a buddy pulling that 1/4 panel out as much as i can. Although i'm not sure how much it will move. I've actually had thoughts of getting a 240sx widebody kit and grafting it over my smashed rear. lol.
The most necessary thing at the moment, is time. I started a new job 2 months ago, and the hours suck. 2-11:30pm. So finding time to work on her is tough.
1994 Legacy Sport Sedan.
1991 Legacy Sport Sedan.
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

ya same. i dont have a lot of time to work on my car either. i work from 330pm-12am. did u go to FD at evergreen?
im going to be hitting up a lot more events once my car is put back together. for now. i drift roundabouts and mountain roads. lol
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Finally contacted the man about ordering one. Kind of got back, back burnered for a bit. Just one though—who the hell knows when I'll ever get to building my own car. By then, battery technology may be advanced enough to just go electric.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

Sooooooo to stimulate the creative juices i thought i would share what i'm doing with my bell housing.

Mazdaru anyone :D

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=938042
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I went through the entire thread over on the USMB yesterday looking at the pictures and it's quite a work of art!

I'll have to check out the other thread when I get home because work has decided to block certain car forums. :roll:
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm