Finally a real rwd option is in the works

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Finally a real rwd option is in the works

Post by evolutionmovement »

When I called in the fall, he asked me to contact him in a few weeks as he took care of backlog of orders. Glad it's taking off! Some people might cry about rwd not being"Subaru", but I think they should see it as a viable way to have a front engined, affordable, reliable boxer-powered, rwd car. What other option would there even be? But I don't care about preserving some (fairly recent) marketing department's idea of a product's identity as much as I do about having something fun, practical, and worry free. Especially where Subaru doesn't care about building Subarus anymore (identity as exemplified by past history of overengineering for affordable longevity, not marketing drivel), I don't see why I should.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

Oh you mean like my first gen rx7. ;)

x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

the axles dont break cuz of the diff they break cuz they are so small. thats why bmxkelowna/ logan went to s13 diff. it in my plans.
92 turbo legacy: RWD W58 SWAP, td04, 3"tbe, mbc, fmic, wrx brakes/hubs, wrx seats, welded 4.11, fcd, drift steering wheel, Drifting Stickers
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

the welded diff plays a big roll in the broken axles too
yes they are tiny but they would probably last a hair longer with an lsd

r180 with a good aftermarket lsd would be the way to go, im poor and stubborn so i want a welded so my only option was the r200
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Mellow, now that makes the RX7 the car it could've been! But, it's kind of my point that the only way to get something like that is to build it. And I prefer a wagon.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

Ok, this might seem like a crazy question, but after all the initial fab work and figuring things out, is there any thing done to the car that would make swapping this RWD setup any more difficult than a regular AWD tranny swap in regards to time and effort? the reason I ask is I've been scheming about have a winter and a summer tranny setup and just doing the swap in april and october....
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

there are so many custom parts that i had to make from scratch to make it work.
92 turbo legacy: RWD W58 SWAP, td04, 3"tbe, mbc, fmic, wrx brakes/hubs, wrx seats, welded 4.11, fcd, drift steering wheel, Drifting Stickers
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

Thought I would share what backed out of my garage today for the first time. :)

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

To totally nerd out I have decided to call it the Mazdaru BR-7. :D
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Awesome!
When are we gonna see it on stage?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

Uh, sadly probably about the time I'm done with school. How ever this gives me plenty of time to work out any bugs rather then them springing up on stage.

Not unless I happen to find me a nice sugarmama. ;)

But I'll still be driving the crap out of this thing, I didn't build a super reliable cool car to have it sit in the garage.

I'm planning on making it to the WCSS this year so I can show it off. :)
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

thought i would share a video of my car running :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NsfXwIndwo
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Image!
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I just read the entire thread over on USMB.
One thing I don't understand is that I thought the early r154 was the same as the w58 as far as the input shaft was concerned. Specifically a 1988 Supra W58 vs a 1988 Supra R154. I had both and I don't remember them being that much difference. Before Subarus I was a MKIII Supra guy.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Waiting for the requisite doughnuts vid.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
sleepinsuby
First Gear

Post by sleepinsuby »

Figures I don't check in for a while being busy with 2 jobs and building my babys up that I missed this. I just finished getting my Wrx trans welded and back together and this shows up Fml. I'm ordering this asap for my 94ss monster drift build and am searching for a trans now. God this is awsome. If it wasn't Said yet on here or anywhere else THANKS mellow for your persistence and a HUGE THANKS to bill for a quality extremely over due and needed product.
94SS full cage 2.2 hybrid build with 04 2.5i heads,JIC coilovers,jdm 4pots,vlsd,jdm TD05 16g ,top mount IC,950 injectors,running ms3x em
91ss ej22t 110k,rebuilt heads,new seals,delta220 cams,td04,wrx top mount,wrx flywheel,wrx trans
92L drift project h6 rwd
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

h250rcrazy wrote:Figures I don't check in for a while being busy with 2 jobs and building my babys up that I missed this. I just finished getting my Wrx trans welded and back together and this shows up Fml. I'm ordering this asap for my 94ss monster drift build and am searching for a trans now. God this is awsome. If it wasn't Said yet on here or anywhere else THANKS mellow for your persistence and a HUGE THANKS to bill for a quality extremely over due and needed product.

If you have any questions let me know since i just did the swap. it runs and drives great. I DD it.
sleepinsuby
First Gear

Post by sleepinsuby »

You ever get some pics of the Honda linkage all set up? I wolnt be dd the rwd car I have a 91ss h6 for that. I will be driving the car hard on track with some street driving here and there to shows on the weekends.
94SS full cage 2.2 hybrid build with 04 2.5i heads,JIC coilovers,jdm 4pots,vlsd,jdm TD05 16g ,top mount IC,950 injectors,running ms3x em
91ss ej22t 110k,rebuilt heads,new seals,delta220 cams,td04,wrx top mount,wrx flywheel,wrx trans
92L drift project h6 rwd