Finally a real rwd option is in the works

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Re: Finally a real rwd option is in the works

Post by 93forestpearl »

Wow that is really cheap for the amount of work. He must really love doing it. Props to him.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

evolutionmovement wrote:Thank you. I'm sure I'm not the only one who appreciates the effort. I probably never would have known about this otherwise.
guess its a good thing i never gave up on trying to figure it out. its been probably 2-3 years of "keeping my eye open" to try and figure out a rwd tranny. i know there had to be other people out there that wanted this too. the USMB guys want it so they can run a true 4x4 tranny with a transfer case from a toyota pick up on their lifted rigs.

me i just want to run a dead balls reliable ej22 in a small little rwd car. for now, but i am going to leaving room for a turbo ;)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

That's EXACTLY my thinking—a bulletproof, low cg, lightweight, cheap EJ22 would move an aerodynamic 1500 lbs. vehicle quite nicely, get good mileage, be plenty of fun, and almost never need work. Plus, setting up for an EJ engine allows lots of options, including, maybe, a DI engine soon or a diesel if you REALLY wanted to get one.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

well im figuring out the logistics of a 1st gen rx7. and i can fit a good 90% of the motor behind the front wheels. should be fun :)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Yeah, I like those cars and almost bought one to replace my 260Z, except for the rotary engine. Problem solved.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

I'll take your 260z.It would be a nice addition next to my 280's.In fact this rwd tranny to suby thing started for me when i was looking for a way to put my eg33 in to the 280...time to start thinking of that again i guess.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

evolutionmovement wrote:Yeah, I like those cars and almost bought one to replace my 260Z, except for the rotary engine. Problem solved.
its actually frightening how well it fits in the engne bay. :)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

The 260 is long gone and I'm thankful for it—it was the only car I had that I hated. I bought it because it was in good shape, had low miles, but I had nothing but electrical (Lucas! WTF?!) and fuel problems (the carbs were notorious) and I wanted to replace my 5/1970 240Z which ran great, but was rotted to hell. And my ex kind of pushed me into getting it because I always talked about my departed 240. Saw a mint blue on white 240 a few months ago—the reverse of mine—and it was even a '70 and, for the first time in a long time, I wanted another one. I would've traded my Mazda 3 for it on the spot, but the owner was nowhere to be found.
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Im not a huge fan of them as they sit but what a great platform for modifying!!!
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Very nice project he's got going on. Pretty amazing craftsmanship.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

he put a couple new pics up now that he got the flywheel and pressure plate.

it's so close i can smell the burning of the rear wheels. :-D
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I was telling my publisher about this and now he's excited as well.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

just a quick update as it's been a couple months,

he pushing to get it all finished up and he's saying it's going to casting next week. :-D
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

SWEET
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

well not off to casting just yet. but he's doing the last smoothing and finishing before it does go off. bottom of page 5

i don't think he really realizes how many of these he will probably sell. fortunately i'm at the top of the list. :)
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

arousal may occur if you look at this for to long :D

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

HAHAHA! I think I got teak immediately upon seeing this picture! It's like seeing Aphrodite emerge from the sea shell.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

it's almost done. as i look back at my emails, it was jan 1st that i first sent him an email asking him about this. a full year of chomping at the bit just waiting.

but as he tells me, i should have the first one in my hands next week. :mrgreen:

oh happy days.
asotwavb
First Gear

Post by asotwavb »

That is awesome!! Nice work

For what its worth, i have a spare W58 i ran in a third gen supra. Those transmissions are really nice, held up 350 HP abuse no problem. R154's are super strong too.
1992 Legacy Sport
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

asotwavb wrote:That is awesome!! Nice work

For what its worth, i have a spare W58 i ran in a third gen supra. Those transmissions are really nice, held up 350 HP abuse no problem. R154's are super strong too.

and the most i'm ever going to put to it is a frankenmotor ej25.

and maybe some day a light turboed motor. no crazy motors are needed for what i'm putting it in. small cars don't need big power to go fast. :-D
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Same here—I prefer N/A driveability, mileage, and bulletproof reliability. Performance comes as a nice side effect of light weight. The car I've designed is intended as a "forever car" as close to possible, even allowing for electric conversion if necessary and plenty of room for a variety of ICE engines, but an EJ22 with a bomb-proof transmission in a lightweight platform that will put even less stress on it is a nice start. Of course, more power is also possible in case other people want to pay me to build more of them.

Let us know when these beauties are available. I'm buying one for sure, maybe two.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

well the first one in existence has made it into my hot little hands

i'm going to play around a little bit with it and let him know if i find anything jinky about it.

so far it looks like a beautiful piece of art.

he is waiting to recoop some money by selling some of his other bell housings before he can start doing a run of these. but as soon as he does he's going to crank out some.

but mine, is all mine. and if you're nice I may let you touch it (that's what she said). :D

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Damn, that looks really good! Factory good. Absolutely can't wait until he sells them. Don't care if I was to the point of missing the mortgage to buy it.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Looking real good! Hows the fit, input shaft alignment, etc?
Also, what is used for a pilot bearing?
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
mellow65
First Gear

Post by mellow65 »

beatersubi wrote:Looking real good! Hows the fit, input shaft alignment, etc?
Also, what is used for a pilot bearing?
as this was built by someone that loves to do this kind of stuff and has been making some awesome bell housings for years, i see no issues with any kind of alignment issues. as for the fit, mine isn't going into a subaru so i cant really say. but the bell housing is based off the subaru bell housing and then allows the W5x tranny to bolt on. so if this was going into a subaru i see no issues fitting. as for a tranny mount, yeah that's up to you.

the pilot bearing amazingly enough were exact same for the toyota and the subaru. so it was one less thing that had to be figured out. :)