Shifter linkage stuck.

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

coffeeman885
First Gear

Shifter linkage stuck.

Post by coffeeman885 »

So... I bought the bushings to fix my sloppy shifter. I tried to pull off the linkage and... no go. That thing is fused on there. I tried banging, PB Blaster, heat, heat and wax, twisting, prying, and finally more banging. All to no avail. Do any of you that have done this before have any secret Jedi master tricks that you would want to share.

BTW. Yes, I pulled the pins out. I put the big one back in although I almost just left it out because it didn't seem to be going anywhere. I think I would have probably been happy if I was driving down the road and the linkage popped off - I have free towing. :D
Speed limits are like herpes - once you get them you will never be rid of them. - Jeremy Clarkson

'94 Legacy L Wagon "Bluella"
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Shifter linkage stuck.

Post by Legacy777 »

You're talking about the u-joint on the end of the shifter rod, correct?

If so, I really don't have any other suggestions except more heat. Have you been using a propane torch? You could try a map gas torch
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

Yeah the U-joint. My dad told me to heat it up and melt a candle into the join because the heat will suck the wax into the join. I haven't tried MAP gas yet.
Speed limits are like herpes - once you get them you will never be rid of them. - Jeremy Clarkson

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

The Legacy shifter linkage is the weird type that comes apart right? Why not leave that portion alone and replace the bushings in place?

It might help to put it in fifth, remove the shaft on the other end of the joint and then remove the transmission crossmember so everything drops down. (dont forget that one exhaust hanger bolt)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Shifter linkage stuck.

Post by entirelyturbo »

Cut it off with a Dremel and get a new one.

I had to do that with my XT. No matter how hard I hammered against it, it wouldn't budge. So I cut two lines on either side of it and pried it apart so it would come loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

DerFahrer wrote:Cut it off with a Dremel and get a new one.
Not a bad idea. Does anybody have the part number for that?

coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

Well I just did a little searching and I think this is it. Someone tell me if I'm wrong.

35032aa040

Should be #29.

Does anybody know if changing the big round bushing thing (#12) in the front of the shifter assembly helps that much?

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Personally I think changing number 12 and number 4 make the least difference. The four number 11 are where you want to focus first.

Since you have this all together why not convert it to the new style shifter? Much more parts available and the bushing design is stronger.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

#11 and #27, actually. They're two different-sized bushings.

Otherwise, I agree with Ciper. #4 and #12 are mounts, not bushings, and changing them to Kartboy or something similar will improve feel slightly, but will not make up for a sloppy shifter caused by the deterioration of the #11 and #27 bushings.

Switching to the newer-style shifter setup is a good idea as well. See if you can get a stock 02-07 WRX take-off shifter from someone that upgraded to a short-throw shifter on NASIOC or somewhere, and then you will just have to buy one sealed joint that contains all four bushings and linkages.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd suggest going to the new style joint & linkage. In addition to the linkage & joint, you'll need the newer style bolt to attach the joint & linkage. I'd also suggest getting the front & rear kartboy shifter stay bushings. The shifter will feel much better.

Here's a pic & part # of the new joint.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/ima ... joint1.jpg

Pics of the newer style linkage
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... /shifters/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

What are the advantages to going to that style of shifter? Does it have a shorter throw or something? I have the Kartboy rear stay (that thing is a bitch to install) and I am probably going to get the front one too since I have to pull take everything apart regardless of what I do.

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

If you want I have a complete Kartboy short shifter from an RS which includes the hardened kartboy #12 and the ujoint. Basically everything in the picture except for number 4 and 17. These parts have about 8k miles on them and have been sitting outside attached to the transmission since a 6 speed swap.

Make me a good offer and you can have it.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

coffeeman885 wrote:What are the advantages to going to that style of shifter? Does it have a shorter throw or something? I have the Kartboy rear stay (that thing is a bitch to install) and I am probably going to get the front one too since I have to pull take everything apart regardless of what I do.
The advantages of the newer style shifter linkage is that you can get aftermarket parts for it. For example you could install the kartboy short shifter or other various shifters meant for the WRX, etc. The throw between the stock shifter linkage and the newer ones are probably going to be the same.

If you find an STi short throw shifter linkage, it will have a little less of a throw, but at least for me, it was quite notchy in my SS 5spd. I put in the standard WRX linkage and was much happier. I even tried the kartboy short shifter, and again the shifting was too notchy for my tastes.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

ciper wrote:If you want I have a complete Kartboy short shifter from an RS which includes the hardened kartboy #12 and the ujoint. Basically everything in the picture except for number 4 and 17. These parts have about 8k miles on them and have been sitting outside attached to the transmission since a 6 speed swap.

Make me a good offer and you can have it.
I have no idea what it is worth. I don't want to lowball you and I imagine that I am too broke for it but shoot me a price and I will get back to you. You can PM me in case you want to sell it to someone else. Sorry to be difficult.

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

It's this http://www2.kartboy.com/x4/product.php? ... 260&page=1 without the body bushing plus the entire shift linkage including the new ujoint part that is stuck on your car. Look at this picture http://opposedforces.com/parts/impreza/ ... tration_2/

It is not the most recent desgin. Think of it as our legacys having version 1, this is version 2 and the newer WRX has version 3? I would imagine half price on everything would be about 120?
coffeeman885
First Gear

Post by coffeeman885 »

Ciper,
If you will take $120 I will take it off your hands. Is that shipped? If not tell me a final price and give me your email for paypal. This will bolt up to my Leggy, correct?