Need Help in Chicagoland with '94 FWD 4EAT Swap!

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

HobbyWrench
First Gear

Need Help in Chicagoland with '94 FWD 4EAT Swap!

Post by HobbyWrench »

Hi,

I need help in swapping a 4EAT FWD transmission in my '94 NA Legacy Wagon.

Are you in/near Chicagoland, have the experience and tools/jacks, or can refer me to a 'nearby' garage Subaru-experienced (and capable) for this?

(I found a replacement 4EAT FWD with 110K - the differential eventually went out after 200K on the original one. I know, I know, I should go with a 5MT swap, but it is for my girlfriend who ABSOLUTELY CANNOT drive a 5MT.)

Also, what would be a list of seals, O-rings, gaskets, etc. you would suggest I purchase to replace with this swap?

Thanks!

Mike
'90 Legacy LS Wagon, EJ22, NA, FWD, 4EAT - 289K Miles (Girlfriend's Car)
'94 Legacy L Wagon, EJ22, NA, FWD, 4EAT - 200K Miles
'96 Legacy L Wagon, EJ22, NA, AWD, 5MT - 104K Miles
'09 Outback, 2.5L, AT - 64k Miles ("Company Car")
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Need Help in Chicagoland with '94 FWD 4EAT Swap!

Post by Legacy777 »

Hi Mike,

Were you able to get any input/feedback on nearby garages?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
HobbyWrench
First Gear

Post by HobbyWrench »

Hi Josh!

Thanks for checking back with me!

I've done some preliminary research on finding a local garage with Subaru experience. Price estimates are ~$500-$600.

I did get some advice and encouragement on USMB for attempting it myself! (Again, it is a FWD, which should be less difficult than AWD.)

Though I don't own a transmission jack (but could rent one), I do remember reading about the 'challenge' of seating the torque converter on reassembly.

The 'new' transmission (111K miles) has its torque converter attached and carefully wired on. I'm wondering/trying to remember, if I am careful in not removing this original torque converter from the new original transmission, is this 'seating problem' no longer a worry?

Admittedly, I do need to reread steps needed to refresh my memory! (Work has been occupying my time and attention.)

Thanks!

Mike
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You will need to remove the original torque converter. The shaft of the TC slides into the trans and not removing it is typically worse. The main thing is to make sure the TC is seated before jacking so that when you install it, it should be ok.

Having a trans jack is nice....The AT is heavy!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

HobbyWrench
First Gear

Post by HobbyWrench »

Thanks again, Josh, for the reply!

(Admittedly, I haven't done this before, so I'm 'shooting in the dark.')

What I meant to communicate is that the new, donor transmission came with its own torque converter 'that appears to be seated' - but I haven't checked (and need to figure out HOW to check). I was hoping that the torque converter in the donor transmission had retained its seating; the guy I bought the transmission from stretched wire across the donor transmission torque converter and anchored the wire to the transmission so the torque converter wouldn't move.

Is it unlikely the donor torque converter retained its seating? When these 4EATs are removed, do the torque converters typically stay with the transmission, or do they stay with the engine?

Thanks!

Mike
marsh27
First Gear

Post by marsh27 »

Where are you located near Chicago? I am also from the area and know of quite a few subie shops
93 fwd beater wagon
93 tw build in progress
HobbyWrench
First Gear

Post by HobbyWrench »

Hi marsh27,

I'm in the far west suburbs (near Geneva), but would be interested (and appreciative) of your recommendations in the Chicagoland area!

Thanks!

Mike
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

HobbyWrench wrote:Thanks again, Josh, for the reply!

(Admittedly, I haven't done this before, so I'm 'shooting in the dark.')

What I meant to communicate is that the new, donor transmission came with its own torque converter 'that appears to be seated' - but I haven't checked (and need to figure out HOW to check). I was hoping that the torque converter in the donor transmission had retained its seating; the guy I bought the transmission from stretched wire across the donor transmission torque converter and anchored the wire to the transmission so the torque converter wouldn't move.

Is it unlikely the donor torque converter retained its seating? When these 4EATs are removed, do the torque converters typically stay with the transmission, or do they stay with the engine?

Thanks!

Mike

Mike,

Sorry about the delay in responding.

As for whether the torque converter on the donor transmission retained its seating, it all depends on how it was removed. If the torque converter face is flush or slightly recessed with the transmission bell housing it is likely seated properly. The torque converters typically stay with the transmission.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT