clutch job - which extra bits worth buying beforehand?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93wagonship
First Gear

clutch job - which extra bits worth buying beforehand?

Post by 93wagonship »

Hi guys,

I'm up to a clutch job and my 93 wagon AWD have around 130 k miles.

Bought the Exedy clutch kit (15015) with pressure plate, pilot bearing, release bearing and friction disc.

In addition to that, I've got a metal oil separator plate and rear main seal (both OEM).

What else will be a good idea beforehand as I cannot wait 2 weeks for parts from overseas after starting the job.

Though of a new flywheel, albeit the old one could be still in good shape.

What about all those input/output shift/shaft seals/bearings/repair sleeves offered by aftermarket brands? If someone could shred a light on these, I'll be much much grateful.

thanks a lot!
Wagonship: 1993 Legacy BF (High Roof Touring Wagon) EJ22 5-spd manual with low range \o/
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Re: clutch job - which extra bits worth buying beforehand?

Post by robertpaige »

Good looking out on the metal oil separator plate. That's a must do if you have the trans separated and it's accessible. Don't touch the rear main seal unless it's noticeably leaking. If it's not leaking, just leave it alone, trust me. You'll likely end up screwing it up and making it a problem (no offense). I don't even touch them honestly lol.

Idk what you mean by "input/output shift/shaft seals/bearings/repair sleeves", if your trans is fine just leave it alone, you don't need to replace anything on it except your shifter linkage bushings but that's just up to personal preference.

You can get a lightweight flywheel and that will net you some acceleration. Probably one of the best thing you can do to an NA EJ22. Otherwise, resurface the OEM flywheel and call it good.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Awesome. Yes, we gonna pull the transmission instead of the engine (hoping less parts and fluids to address plus give it a good housing clean cause it's dirty and not easily accessible otherwise).

Got it. No visible leaks, just leave the rear main seal for a few more years :)

The clutch is fine except for bearing noises when pedal is released, but probably due to age and lack of lubrication only (not too loud).

I do not intend to spend much, so I guess I'll just resurface (hand sand + break cleaner or machine?) the stock flywheel for now. Everything come from overseas, so it's expensive for me and I don't know for how long I'll keep this car running though (I only do cause I love this Wagon).

Thanks a lot for helping the n00bie here.

cheers
Wagonship: 1993 Legacy BF (High Roof Touring Wagon) EJ22 5-spd manual with low range \o/
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Nooooo, have the flywheel machined for like $20 or whatever the machine shop will charge you. It won't be much, but you want to resurface the flywheel so the clutch has a clean and EVEN mating surface to live off of. This will extend the life of your clutch by far.

The noise you're hearing is probably the input shaft bearing. Is it easy to fix? Hell no. Is it livable? Yes, it shouldn't cause you too much issue. It will fail, but I have had 3 or 4 NA legacies with noisy input shaft bearings and they never gave me any mechanical failure.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Yeah, machine flywheel.

And consider one of those TOB sleeve kits. The snout on my trans was pretty mangled and it made a big difference. Smoother and lighter clutch engagement.

You could replace the shift linkage and bushings, maybe motor and trans mounts.
93wagonship
First Gear

Post by 93wagonship »

Excellent suggestions, will look into that. Thanks for the slap in the wrist also. Will get flywheel resurfaced professionally and post the results.

cheers
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

check clutch fork boot for cracks, stuff can fall into the flywheel area, happened to me.
new roll pins for axle to trans, not necessary but they are cheap
throwout bearing clips definitely
little tubes of the correct grease, forgot what its called
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped