good tires anyone?

Where the power meets the road.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

good tires anyone?

Post by SubaruNation »

anybody have some tires they would recommend to get?
i've only got $300 and i'd like the most bang for my buck i could possibly get.

looking for moderate to longer life and the best grip i can get, all season specifically.

thanks!
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I'm also looking at new tires. I'd preferably like to pay no more than $150 per tire. I've seen some really nice BFGoodrich and Bridgestone tires on tirerack.com and at Discount Tire.

Any thoughts?
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I don't have a specific answer, but that's a tall order... Cheap, long-lived, good grip, and all-season?

Also, you don't say what wheels you have... The cost of anny given tire will depend to some degree on the size.

But. I'm guessing you have 15" wheels? You might consider buying a set of used WRX wheels with stock WRX tires. The stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92s aren't great, but they're adequate, and you'll end up opening up your future options somewhat.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I don't know about Zach, but I have 99 RS goldies and I was looking at these Bridgestone tires - 205/55/16

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... e+Position

They seem decent...
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
internetautomart
Second Gear

Re: good tires anyone?

Post by internetautomart »

SubaruNation wrote:anybody have some tires they would recommend to get?

looking for moderate to longer life and the best grip i can get, all season specifically.

thanks!
what size tire exactly?
the stock 14s can be gotten 4 for $200
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

internetautomart wrote:

thanks!
what size tire exactly?
He drives a TW so he'd be on stock 15's. Does that change the price much?
-Aaron

internetautomart
Second Gear

Post by internetautomart »

asc_up wrote:
internetautomart wrote:

thanks!
what size tire exactly?
He drives a TW so he'd be on stock 15's. Does that change the price much?
a little.
Customer Tire Quote
Marshall's Car Castle
6758 N CALIFORNIA
CHICAGO, IL 60645
773-761-1202
Quote Effective Until March 8, 2008

February 7, 2008

Manufacturer Part No. Description Price FET Add-Ons Tax Qty1 Qty2 Qty3 Qty4
Falken 28921551 195/60R15 88H ZE-912 Delivery Date 02/11/08 $61.18 $0.00 $1.00 $5.51 $67.68 $135.36 $203.04 $270.72
Uniroyal 59767 P195/60R15 T TP TOURING BLK Delivery Date 02/08/08 $69.33 $0.00 $1.00 $6.24 $76.56 $153.12 $229.68 $306.24
Kumho 1770313 P195/60R15 H SOLUS KH16 BLK Delivery Date 02/08/08 $75.06 $0.00 $1.00 $6.76 $82.82 $165.64 $248.46 $331.28

Add-On Pricing includes the following items:
EPA Disposal Fee
those aren't the cheapest or the best, but they are decent tires (Falken I know is polarizing)
94 BC w/ AWD Sold 6/25/08
92 BJ Rust bucket gone
90 BC (I think) Stripper, gone since 2k
86 GL10 Turbo 4wd, Gone since 99
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

-Aaron

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You should be able to get decent 15s for under $70. I had Falkens on mine and liked them, but they didn't last and when they wore down, they really lost traction whereas some tires maintain traction fairly consistently throughout their life. You don't say how you drive - I slide a car all over so tires may last 1/3-1/2 the rated mileage (usually 50-60k rated). I consider 1/2 mileage to be good. I usually buy relatively cheap high performance all seasons. I think I have Kumho Ecstas on there now and they are absolutely worthless in snow, seriously almost as bad as slicks. So take the All season tag with a grain of salt. They were really dirt cheap, though, too.

The Goodyear Eagle RS-As that came on my 3 were excellent with great traction, all weather capability (excellent in the snow) and long-lasting. But you get what you pay for (sometimes). I replaced them with the all around inferior Avon M550 M/S, but they were about half the price and they're still a good tire - I think a better value. Tirerack carries the Eagle RS-A in the 15" size for only $77. If they're the same tire, just smaller, I recommend them, but keep in mind I'm familiar with the 17" on my 3 and that also has very different handling characteristics than the Subaru as well (it sticks MUCH better, but you can't get the back out to balance the handling like in the Subaru. Not as easily anyway, though the EBC does increase the efficacy of left foot braking).
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

I highly recommend Kumho Ecsta's. You can get last seasons model, Ive picked them up for as little as $70 per tire at Sears or Discount Tire. They have tons of grip and release slowly under heavy cornering so you get a good feel for what the car is doing in the turn. They offer consistant performance wet or dry and show little degredation in performance if properly maintained. I just recently tried a set of cooper lifeliners, paid $500 for the set and am wishing Id just stuck with the Kumhos.
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

i was going to buy the stock wrx wheels + tires on them but jamal said they would be too big with my stock suspension in the front. i'm looking at getting something locally because then i would get them installed for free, as i have no crazy machine to do it for me.

so am i hearing this wrong then? will the wrx wheels work?

the ones i was looking at (4) were from a BMW and the size was (205/65/15)

my tires are the standard 195/60R/15

the Costco ones i was looking at were "BFG Touring pro series" with a 60K mile warranty...

and the tires they offer are here..http://www.costco.com/Tires/SearchResul ... lang=en-US

anybody know anything about kelly tires?
i'm guessing sketch mania but..

thanks!
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

New92 wrote:I highly recommend Kumho Ecsta's. You can get last seasons model, Ive picked them up for as little as $70 per tire at Sears or Discount Tire. They have tons of grip and release slowly under heavy cornering so you get a good feel for what the car is doing in the turn. They offer consistant performance wet or dry and show little degredation in performance if properly maintained. I just recently tried a set of cooper lifeliners, paid $500 for the set and am wishing Id just stuck with the Kumhos.
sweet good to hear!
thanks!
looking into it right now :D
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I took a look at the Khumos, the reviews say that they're good all-seasons, but that they're more focused on dry weather conditions.

I live in WA, so I would need something that handles well in the rain, too...
-Aaron

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

you are fast as hell,
cool are they good in snow?
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Lol we posted at the same time. No the reviews said that they were "OK" in the snow and rain.

The Bridgestones I keep mentioning have have great reviews in the dry and wet, and pretty decent reviews in the snow.
They run about $110 a tire.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... e+Position
-Aaron

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

ugh.
too much!
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Argh I know, but it's probably worth it...
-Aaron

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

8alls, i'll work on them, if they're that good i'm inclined to trust your judgement :wink:

god i just want my TMIC in my car SO BAD. eff.
tomorrow @11AM is when the madness starts aaron.
then i make sexy time and post pictures of it :shock:
(the install and such)
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Lol well I've never tried those tires out, I was just trying to see what other people thought of them.

Hahaha don't worry. You'll be done by 2. Hopefully :shock:
-Aaron

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

5 hours sound about right 4 3verything, is the MBC hard to install?
and anybody heard of kelly tires?
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Lol an MBC is extremely simple to install. I'll take pictures to show you. If you can install the IC, you'll be able to install the MBC haha.
-Aaron

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

asc_up wrote:Lol an MBC is extremely simple to install. I'll take pictures to show you. If you can install the IC, you'll be able to install the MBC haha.
ok sweet, it took me 6 hrs to change a power steering line so we'll see ha ha!

and what do you think of these?
http://www.kellytires.com/kellytires/di ... dewall=VSB
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I honestly don't know, I've never even heard of that brand...
-Aaron

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

says they've been around for a benjamin.
im kinda sketched but, they have a good warranty and *The Kelly Navigator Touring Gold carries a UTQG rating of 560 AA.*

*=not my words, what does that mean?

they are made by goodyear evidently :)