My 91 T-Legacy

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

slipknot51
First Gear

My 91 T-Legacy

Post by slipknot51 »

So the story started off as actually kind of a joke between my friends dad and I. He was always having issues with his 1991 Subaru Legacy Turbo. The car wouldn't run for more then 5 minutes some times plus over heated and just was not drivable for what they needed it for. Me at the time I was just graduating from high school and about to go to school for Auto and Diesel so I made him a offer. To my surprise he actually sold the car to me.

The pictures I have above was the first picture I took of the car. I was able to drive home but I had to keep putting the car in neutral and rev it up every time I got to a stop light or stop sign to keep it from dying on me.
So after I washed the car I took and parked it into the garage and kept it in storage for about 1 1/2 years until I graduated from trade school. I really started trying to figure out what was wrong with it. I join bbs and I have learned alot from what other people have posted and I soon figured out what my check engine light was all about I found corrosion issues in both my cam, knock sensor and crank wiring and when the car warmed up things went hectic which was causing my drivablity issues. So after I took it for my first long road test the car ended up over heating on me I was glad i have a friend with a big F350 to pull me back home

So I called my friends Dad and asked him how many times it over heated on him and get previous history on the car well this is what caused it. The thermostat on the Left was an aftermarket thermostat offered at Napa Autoparts. The one on the right is the oem thermostat that got from the dealer. The flow thru the after market is about half of the original which was causing the over heat issue.

Since the car had about 123k on the original engine and chassie I decided that it was time for a new Timing belt,tensioner and sti water pump plus supporting gaskets. I ended up pulling the heads on the car and putting new head gaskets since the car over heated 3 times plus i had the heads checked out buy the local Machine shop and had then do a 4 angle valve job. I did replace a failed HLA since it was ticking before plus painted the valve covers and replaced the valve cover gaskets.

Soon after I got the car running great I decided to do a few cosmetic items to the car. The first thing I added was some aftermarket fog lights

After doing a little research on this forum I found some people have done the 06-07 sti lip skirt add on to the bottom of the Bumper. I thought it added a nice look to the front of the car. The blue fender was a long story but it was a replacement for my damaged one. Subaru v.s Ford 350 equals poor fender

After getting all the little corks worked out and after winter I decided what a great time to do a td04 swap so I talked to a few people on Nasioc and found parts for the swap for cheap plus a few parts online to do the swap

Here is a picture of me doing some mock up work with the intercooler to the turbo I ended up rotating the coolant resivior 90 degrease and adding in 90 degree elbows to remove the strain on the coolant lines. It actually turned out really well

I was talking to my friend out in Michigan and his boss owned a 08 sti hatch that he had the full 3 inch catless exhaust the big part for me was the invidia divorced wastegate catless down pipe. He ended up getting the exhaust for free since his boss was converting his sti back to stock to see it so I bought the downpipe off him for 50 buck did a little research and ended up having to take a cute out about 6 inches from the down pipe at the rear and added a o2 bung up at the top of the downpipe. Worked out great

I saw that some one else on the forum did this and it worked out great. I ordered up a 90 degree silicone elbow and added in a small piece of 2.25 exhaust to be able to connect my factory intake

After getting every thing all mocked I needed a way to plumb up the bov this is the adapter plate that was made for me. It was just an idea that I had then it turned into a little project for my dad and his friend they took measurements and created the adapter plate on the computer. My dad then took the computer creation and took it to his work modified/fine tuned it and created a program and ran it on his works lazer cutter. He ended up cutting put 3 different adapter plates with difference thicknesses. I ended up using the 16 gauge stainless steel plate and was able to take a 90 degree brass fitting and run it thru the adapter plate to create what I needed to continue using the factory bov on the 06 tmic

Adapter plate

Bottom of the wrx bov

The adapter plate over the top of the bov

The adapter plate with the 90 Degree brass fitting

Adapter plate all pumped up

During the install of the tdo4 and the intercooler I went online and found a hood scoop of the 04 wrx that I painted to match the car and installed it

Here is the picture of the scoop before I painted it. The scoop as you could see was a light silver idk the paint color for the wrx

At the time that I took and painted the hood scoop I removed the spoiler and redid that as well since it had the clear coat flacking off as you can see I had the scoop and spoiler primed and ready for paint

This was my first attempt at painting with metallic paint which shows if you can see that I forgot to come back and set the metallic once I was done with my first spray and the metallic ended up creating lines or what looks like tiger strips so I had to take and resand the scoop reprime and respray the scoop

2nd gen jdm legacy gt fog light modification to work

The most recent cosmetic Items that Ive done was added in Projector fogs with 3000k 35w hid light plus added on led duel function lights were the turn signals were mounted into the bumper. In the one picture you can see the led strips lit up around the housing of the projector fog. I also did take a wire the other side of the duel function strips into the turn signals and when the turn signal is turned on the lights actually flash amber/yellow for with the pattern of the turn signals. I did take and move the turn signals up to the park light and used the park light wiring to power up both the led strips and also for the hids which is switch with a relay separate from the led strips plus I upgraded the bumps from a little 83 bump to a 1151Y if I remember right to slow down the beam flash since the small 83 bulb didn't have enough resistance so it flashed really flash like a bulb was burnt out so the bigger bulb added the resistance and slowed down the pattern after checking out the patter of the new location I saw what people mentioned by wrong beam pattern so I took and covered the park lights with a few coats of night shade.

Took and decide to paint the Subaru logo in black on the axle cap on the wheel cap
So here is the final product for now. I have been talking to coworker about doing some rust repair soon or after winter

Also did take a do the amber plate removal to the rear tail lights that Is mentioned in a few cheap mod post on this forum

So an update last week I had the chance to go to my old shop and barrow there spring compressor and was able to take and change all 4 of my struts out. I was planning on doing 04 sti spring swap but after doing a little thinking I decided not to just for now. I did upgrade to aftermarket kyb gr2 struts and wow what a difference it made. It was like a night and day difference I dont think that my old struts were really worn out but I noticed that my ride got a little bit more stiff which was what I wanted but not over the top. Also my right high increased about a 1/4 inch due to the new struts. I have been checking the car out on some of the corners around my house like clover leafs and 90 degree uphill and turns and wow I notice that the car is staying more on track. It doen't understeer as much anymore since I swapped and the seems to stay planted alot better. Its amazing how something so simple can change the car so much. One of the main issues that I had before I did the swap was a really loud squeaking noise coming from the rear right strut

After I removed the rear right strut I did a little better looking and found that the strut mount at the top actually was failing which was causing the annoying noise from the rear so after install the new strut and new strut mount the squeak is no more and now allows me to keep my sanity while driving down the road lol

I thought that the pervious owner never did anything to the car but after doing a little inspection and when I did my swap I found that the car had aftermarket monroe struts in it

Struts all ready to go get installed into the car and new strut installed with the new strut mount at the top for the front

Well while I was doing the front struts I guess I hyperextended the cv axle on the drivers side and caused the shaft to pull out of the outer joint after removing the axle and trying to reinstalling the axle into the joint again for 20 minutes I was like screw this and got a new axle ordered up and delivered to the shop and got the new axle installed in no time. While when I was installing the new struts the bracket that supports the abs sensor wiring twisted on me and now I have an abs light on I still need to double check but I'm sure its the left sensor that is messed up
Last edited by slipknot51 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:35 am, edited 6 times in total.
92 T- leg Tdo4/top mount,3" inch exhaust ,5 speed 2.5 rs trans, sti seats Wrx rear seats kartboy short throw shifter,Kyb gr2 struts
08 Spec b Legacy
turbo970
Third Gear

Re: My 91 T-Legacy

Post by turbo970 »

is that a bov behind the turbo inlet elbow ?
slipknot51
First Gear

Post by slipknot51 »

Haha well what happen was the rubber hose that when from the bov to the intake was so dry rotted i decided to take cap off the one side and then run a new rubber hose and vented it for a few months tell i got a new fitting and replumped it back in
92 T- leg Tdo4/top mount,3" inch exhaust ,5 speed 2.5 rs trans, sti seats Wrx rear seats kartboy short throw shifter,Kyb gr2 struts
08 Spec b Legacy
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice documentation and pictures of the car's progession!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
slipknot51
First Gear

Post by slipknot51 »

Thanks Josh I was going thru some of the hundreds of pictures I have and I figure it would be nice to do a time line of the cars progression. Wow its crazy how the car has changed from kind of plan to more sporty but not over the top I think. After all the new OEM parts and add on parts plus needed tires and maintenance items I'm sitting around 1,500 in parts and labor most of it was me doing the work besides the heads getting rebuild.
08 Spec b Legacy
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, it adds up, but that's not too bad actually.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
slipknot51
First Gear

Post by slipknot51 »

I know I'm sure it could of been worse but in the long run im happy with it no matter how much i have to put into it
08 Spec b Legacy
silver03
First Gear

Post by silver03 »

I just stumbled on this thread...what terrific work and documentation.
slipknot51
First Gear

Post by slipknot51 »

Thanks I have a few things Im thinking about adding like my new 90 Degree elbow I put into the car and my Bov adapter plate update that I did as well.
08 Spec b Legacy
turbo970
Third Gear

Post by turbo970 »

how hard was it to do the hood scoop?
slipknot51
First Gear

Post by slipknot51 »

It wasn't bad at all. The scoop is of a 04 wrx. The opening from the old scoop gets covered up by the new scoop and the old scoop cutout is the same size as the 06 wrx intercooler. I also went the extra mile and took sanded,primed and painted the scoop to match the car. The scoop I got already had the mounting bolt and nuts with it. I just marked and drilled holes one size bigger into the hood and bolted down the scoop. I also took and used rubber door sealer around the scoop to seal the scoop to the hood. I would say to take measure,measure,measure and make sure the scoop is square on the hood before drilling just my two cents.The nice thing about drilling one size bigger it gives you a 1/16 or so of play to move the scoop around to get it just right
08 Spec b Legacy
SurlyOldManMN
In Neutral

Post by SurlyOldManMN »

Mine!

I just picked this up as a new old little big brother to my '10 LGT that's getting her motor pulled hopefully next week.

First step beyond a general once over is addressing this silly 90/10 split. Looking into "power mode" hack/mod approaches.

Oh the evilry we're going to do...
SurlyOldManMN
In Neutral

Post by SurlyOldManMN »

Big sister pics:

slipknot51
First Gear

Post by slipknot51 »

Well I ended up selling the Subaru the new owner is a really cool guy and Im glad its in the hands of another Subaru lover. My new Vehicle sad to say is not a Subaru. I would love a newer 4th gen lgt but i can't afford one with student loans and other bills thats going to have to be something for a later time. So the Reveal I picked up a used 1996 Chevy s10 with only 80K on the odometer. It has a 2.2 4 cylinder with a 5 speed. Also has the extreme body kit and a 2 inch lowering kit sitting on 17 inch unique rims. I do have projector head lights with 6000k hids coming and will post the install info up when all the stuff is here

08 Spec b Legacy