My speedometer is way off

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

My speedometer is way off

Post by 91White-T »

Drove by one of them speed things the other day, my speedo says I'm doing 40, but the speedbox says 31... So I drive by it a couple more times, consistently off by about 10mph at low speeds, I didnt try it at more than 40 since it was in a neighborhood. Now it makes more sense why I have to go 80 to keep up with slow traffic, when the thing shows 95 it feels more like 80! What could possibly make it off by this much?

PS BTW, I have stock size tires so thats not it.
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
Project_Legacy
Third Gear

Post by Project_Legacy »

wow thats a big difference. so your tires AND wheels are stock size? i dont know what else could cause that.
00 5MT AWD 2.5 RS - New Project
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Re: My speedometer is way off

Post by Manarius »

91White-T wrote:Drove by one of them speed things the other day, my speedo says I'm doing 40, but the speedbox says 31... So I drive by it a couple more times, consistently off by about 10mph at low speeds, I didnt try it at more than 40 since it was in a neighborhood. Now it makes more sense why I have to go 80 to keep up with slow traffic, when the thing shows 95 it feels more like 80! What could possibly make it off by this much?

PS BTW, I have stock size tires so thats not it.
If I'm not mistaken..the thing that reads speed is in the tranny or someplace close. Maybe that thing is broken :?:

From what I understood, our speedos are off 10% not 10 mph.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I have proven on two vehicles that the speedo is off 10%, just about right on the nut. Thats the most I have seen them off.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Hmm, everytime I pass one of those radar signs it's almost dead on....with my +sized wrx wheels and tires. ;)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The WRX sized tires 205/55 r16 is just about right for the speedos on the turbo legacy to be dead on.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Just like on lots of motorcycles, lots of cars speedo's are optimistic. Probably to help reduce speeding.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

BAC5.2 wrote:Just like on lots of motorcycles, lots of cars speedo's are optimistic. Probably to help reduce speeding.
I don't know about that. My dad can lay down the speedo on his '80 Honda CB750 in 3rd gear (80 MPH). I can tell you, it feels like you're going 80 MPH.
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Manarius wrote:
BAC5.2 wrote:Just like on lots of motorcycles, lots of cars speedo's are optimistic. Probably to help reduce speeding.
I don't know about that. My dad can lay down the speedo on his '80 Honda CB750 in 3rd gear (80 MPH). I can tell you, it feels like you're going 80 MPH.
... on a vehicle that's meant for speed. I think what Phil is getting at is that if people thought they were going faster than what they're really traveling, it'd be safer. It's a psychological battle, that's all.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Manarius wrote:
When I'm going 50 on my CBR, it feels like I'm going 50, but I assure you I'm probably only going 40. It's a lot different on a bike than in a car. Most vehicles, bikes and cars, have optimistic speedometers. Get a GPS and find out for yourself.

When there's only 400 pounds of metal UNDER you, and not 3000 pounds of metal AROUND you, you feel like your going a lot faster than you are. All about perception.

I think it was Albert Einstein who said, put your hands on a hot plate and a minute feels like an hour. Put your hands on a hot woman, and an hour feels like 3.5 minutes ;). It's all perception.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
mhrallyteam
First Gear

Post by mhrallyteam »

mine is 20km/h off, even when i'm stopped!!
92 l swapped to ej22T with 2.0T shortblock
4.111 manual 2.5RS tranny, sti eng mount, wrx I/C, MBC, WRX turboback exhaust, WRX front seats, STI rad cap, WRX specR1 struts, Eibach springs , leg turbo front brake, WRX rear brake.