'05 WRX suspension on '92 BJ

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

-X-
In Neutral

'05 WRX suspension on '92 BJ

Post by -X- »

Hey all,

I just picked up a '92 BJ a couple of days ago. It needs rear struts, so I figured I'd upgrade at all four corners. I was able to pick up '05 WRX tops, struts and springs (already assembled) along with '05 WRX front and rear swaybars for a little over 2 bills. All from an '05 WRX wagon, not a sedan.

I've been reading up on how WRX suspension components fit using different tops and perches. I really don't want to mess around with switching tops/perches and just want to put the whole WRX assemblies in. I understand the holes need to be filed out some in order to fit the larger bolts. The seller also mentioned something about possibly needing camber bolts.

Since the BJ doesn't come with a rear swaybar, what other parts will I need in order to allow installation of the WRX rear swaybar? (I'll search around for answers to this one)

Would it be better to install the swaybars before installing the strut assemblies?

Anyone in N. VA have the tools and know-how to get this done in an afternoon? I'll buy the beer of your choice.

8)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Welcome to the BBS.

To add the sway bar, you need the sway bar chassis mounts, sway bar, end links, and rear most lateral link to attach to end link.

It really shouldn't matter what you do first, sway bar or struts. I'd do both and then get an alignment.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
-X-
In Neutral

Post by -X- »

Thanks. I just had the rear WRX struts installed. The shop said the fronts were about 0.5" longer than the stock struts, so they didn't install them. They said I could put lowering springs on the front, but the struts might be too stressed if they are too low. It needs to come down about 1.5" in the front to match the rears, which dropped about that much.

They said the front WRX swaybar would not fit. The rear bar will fit, but needs the hardware like you suggested. I'm thinking I will just sell both WRX swaybars and get the Whiteline rear swaybar kit and have that installed. I'll just keep the stock front swaybar for now.

Any ideas as to what aftermarket lowering springs would work best for the '05 WRX struts, or would using the '90-91 stock tops (or '02 WRX tops) drop it enough?

'05 WRX front and rear swaybars are available if anyone wants to buy them!
Kecksauce
First Gear

Post by Kecksauce »

being as they're 4 year old OEM struts, I wouldn't do anything too crazy. An Eibach Pro Kit might not be a bad way to go to avoid pissing the stuts off, but in the end it's all up to you man.
-'06 Impreza 2.5i wagon
-'93 Legacy SS
rallyguy_777
First Gear

Post by rallyguy_777 »

there is no reason why those sway bars shouldnt fit. You have to pull and squish to put it into the bushings, but it works.
Massimo Narini

93 legacy Turbo (aka Gracie)
-Turbo XS boost controller(6/12psi), WRX TMIC, STI sways,04 STI struts, 3'' DP, lightweight pulley,
wtdash
Fifth Gear

WRX struts

Post by wtdash »

I have '90 BJ, which came stock w/the rear sway.

I put some '06 WRX Wagon struts on a couple months ago for AutoXing....direct swap for the fronts; rears required a 'ghetto' fix by enlarging 2 of the holes.

Tires are 225/50R-16. The outside of the tire just barely rubs @ the rear fender on big bumps.

The front sits a bit higher than the rear. I'm living w/it.

Turbo Subies:
'87 GL-10 Turbo - SOLD
'90 BJ EJ22T/DOHC & 5speed swap - SOLD
'04 FXT, Forged internals, VF39, STI TMIC, Cobb AP- SOLD
'93 Legacy SS - 5-speed, SOLD :-(
'02 WRX -SOLD
'96 BD-turbo'd-SOLD
'98 SF - NA-T