what a mess...

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jimmyjoejoe
In Neutral

what a mess...

Post by jimmyjoejoe »

Okay, so my waterpump is apparently defective. I've disasembled the front of the vehicle (can't break free that f'ing crankbolt btw, so I'll be retrying that tomorrow morning). Anyway, my Haynes manual says NOT to rotate the crank counterclockwise. Why? The EJ22 is non-interference, right? Counterrotation at the crank when in an "non-ooperational" state shouldn't be an issue I'd think.
Also, should I be worried about finding TDC while doing this?
I thought as long as I lined up the timing marks on the sprockets, in addition to counting the appropriate number of notches in the timing belt I'd be okay.
Sonofa.... I love this car -actually, it's faily easy to work on- but I hate these TB driven jobs... too much dismantelling and re-putting togetherness.
Okay. Bier thirty.

*anxiously awaiting your experience and instruction*
Mmmmm... suberlicious
EJ20TMAN
In Neutral

Post by EJ20TMAN »

The reason for no backwards rotation may be how the cambelt tensions, may course it to slip and then u would have to retime it
1990 GT wagon JDM, TD05H, FMIC, Bosch coils 4in twin split dump 3 in rest of system, lowered, manual conversion, 17's, 17psi boost :) , tints, intake res gone and loving it!!!
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

On some cars the wrist pins are offset and that could cause issues, I suppose. No, you don't have to find TDC. Just make sure the marks line up. Haynes puts a lot of general cautions in that don't necessarily apply to the car at hand.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.