Suspension Information Compendium -what fits, tuning info

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

So is this something everyone knew but me? And here I thought I was all smart for figuring it out. Anyway, thought it might be something Scott could add to the compendium. Hmmm... L models don't have smaller front bars, do they?
peter@functionauto.com
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

jamal wrote: Anyway, thought it might be something Scott could add to the compendium. Hmmm... L models don't have smaller front bars, do they?
I don't know much about all this- i have a prefacelift :wink:

Anyone know exactly what trim levels have a rear bar?
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

All except 92-94 L's

And may asking if you were going somewhere was not if you were actually going to some place. I was wondering why you posted what you posted :)
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Updated.

Thanks to Brat4x4 :)
[url=http://www.thawa.net/gallery/albums/album108/DSCF0330.jpg]90 legacy of awesomeness[/url]
Psychoreo
Second Gear

91 L FWD

Post by Psychoreo »

For 2002+ Rear Strut/Springs, you need to use Legacy top mounts. They are angled differently and smaller than the awd tops. I just did the swap on mine.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Can you explain that a little better?

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Psychoreo
Second Gear

Post by Psychoreo »

to replace stock AWD struts/springs/top mounts from a 02+ wrx onto a FWD 90-94 legacy you need to use the FWD top mounts in the rear. The FWD tops are slightly smaller and are angled, causing the AWD top bolts to not line up. Your stock tops for the NA legacy fit the struts and i believe the turbo is the same way. Basically, use the rear top mounts on the new struts and your in business.
stupid electrical work...
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

oh, yeah, of course.

Thats mentioned in the first post of the compendium.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

AWD struts cannot fit fwd rears as in order to fit fwd rear hubs to the rear struts of my turbo parts car so it can (somewhat) roll onto the junk yard ramp truck I could only fit one undersized bolt to mount it and still had to let the air out of the (185/14") tires as they rub the strut perch very badly.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
sillyp
First Gear

Post by sillyp »

so i went and compared front gr-2's for 90-91 with 92-94. the spring perches were welded in the same place. different part numbers, same perch height.

tomorrow i'll compare the rears.
92 5mt AWD
F250 duty
12" Johnson
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

I think this is the deal with 02+ Impreza stuff:

02-03 (straight) rear springs fit in 92-94 Legacy and 93-01 Impreza upper perches.

04-06 (tapered) rear springs fit in 90-91 Legacy perches.

05-06 STi struts won't fit in the front. 02-04 front assemblies bolt in directly.

Sedan struts give postive camber in the rear. Camber bolts can usually fix that. You can also modify the strut towers to fit the 02+ rear tops and give a bit more negative camber in the process. If you were to have a plate welded in place with the correct bolt pattern, it would be better, but rally370 and I slotted the holes (to use 04 STi take-offs) and haven't had problems, and Chris actually rallies his car. I put in a WRX rear STB to help, Chris just has the bolts right on the filed out holes. I still had some positive camber with the struts placed as far inward as possible in the strut towers without camber bolts.
Last edited by jamal on Tue Dec 13, 2005 2:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeusExMachina
First Gear

Post by DeusExMachina »

Just to contribute...I've been running Bilstein Prodrive struts and Ground Control coilover springs for quite some time. Very nice but I have a weird clunk that recently developed...the struts are old but I don't think they're a problem.
DeusExMachina
First Gear

Post by DeusExMachina »

Also..does anyone know if any of the frame/subframe braces work on our cars? Looking to stiffen the chassis...just ordered front/rear strut bars.
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

DeusExMachina wrote:Just to contribute...I've been running Bilstein Prodrive struts and Ground Control coilover springs for quite some time. Very nice but I have a weird clunk that recently developed...the struts are old but I don't think they're a problem.
Since you took an easy-out on your suspension, and particularly with that (per)version of coilovers, you've placed an extreme amount of undue wear and tear on your struts, which are probably good struts under any other type of setup.

Clunking under cornering, right? Maybe check the tops, and if not that, then check the entire assembly. . . Something IS loose in there. My stock 92 L struts are making noise, as well, under different conditions, particularly the sway under bumpy roads. . . But I think that's just the front swaybar. . .
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
DeusExMachina
First Gear

Post by DeusExMachina »

tris91ricer wrote:
DeusExMachina wrote:Just to contribute...I've been running Bilstein Prodrive struts and Ground Control coilover springs for quite some time. Very nice but I have a weird clunk that recently developed...the struts are old but I don't think they're a problem.
Since you took an easy-out on your suspension, and particularly with that (per)version of coilovers, you've placed an extreme amount of undue wear and tear on your struts, which are probably good struts under any other type of setup.

Clunking under cornering, right? Maybe check the tops, and if not that, then check the entire assembly. . . Something IS loose in there. My stock 92 L struts are making noise, as well, under different conditions, particularly the sway under bumpy roads. . . But I think that's just the front swaybar. . .
The Bilsteins can take it, they are very good struts. "Took an easy out", at least I'm not using stock L struts?

The clunking is from lateral force applied to the right-rear wheel. ie, wheel goes into a deep dip/largish pothole. Or hits a "step up" on pavement. I could jump the car off a curb and it wouldn't make the noise. I have STi trailing arm bushings waiting in the wings.
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

sounds like a topmount nut.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

tris91ricer wrote:Since you took an easy-out on your suspension, and particularly with that (per)version of coilovers, you've placed an extreme amount of undue wear and tear on your struts, which are probably good struts under any other type of setup. .
Wouldn't that depend on the particular springs he has? I was under the impression that you could get a set in pretty much whatever rate and length as you wanted, so I'm thinking if you got springs rates matched to the struts and didn't drop it too far it wouldn't place any undue wear on the struts at all.

So, yeah, DeusExMachina, what's the rate and drop you're using with the ground controls?
peter@functionauto.com
DeusExMachina
First Gear

Post by DeusExMachina »

I'm using 300# on the highest setting...about 1" drop from stock. They're meant for Impreza so its a little difficult.

Pretty sure my rear struts are blown, they are like 80,000 miles old. Going to get Konis to replace the Bilsteins.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Yeah Bilsteins don't last 80,000 miles :). I get the feeling that's from the inverted mono-tube design. You could rebuild them. I would do that or get STi struts instead of Koni.

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Since the 04 WRX rear springs are tapered, they fit the 90-91 Rear Spring Perches, right Jamal? So the ones from my 91 Turbo will work then. Good.

What about the front? Will the front springs sit in 92-94 Front Spring Perches?
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

BAC5.2 wrote:Since the 04 WRX rear springs are tapered, they fit the 90-91 Rear Spring Perches, right Jamal? So the ones from my 91 Turbo will work then. Good.

What about the front? Will the front springs sit in 92-94 Front Spring Perches?
That is my understanding. I'm not entirely sure about the front, but I'm thinking yes. EDIT: no.
Last edited by jamal on Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Busdriver
First Gear

Post by Busdriver »

Will 02-05 Legacy GT wagon stock suspension fit a 91 Legacy awd wagon?
Stock 1991 Legacy L+ AWD 5MT wagon 191k+ mi
scottzg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by scottzg »

Busdriver wrote:Will 02-05 Legacy GT wagon stock suspension fit a 91 Legacy awd wagon?
probably not. The rear suspension is pretty different on the 02+ cars
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Some info to add. Tribeca sway bar 25/16 f/r. That front bar is a sweet upgrade assuming it fits.

greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

scottzg wrote:
Busdriver wrote:Will 02-05 Legacy GT wagon stock suspension fit a 91 Legacy awd wagon?
probably not. The rear suspension is pretty different on the 02+ cars
i would say definatley not.

the rear is a multi-link on the new ones. very compact.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan