Legacy 1.8 N/A or SPI?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

magepaster
In Neutral

Legacy 1.8 N/A or SPI?

Post by magepaster »

I have recently become involved in the ownership of a Legacy 1.8GL 4WD.

This is the limit to my knowledge on this car apart from knowing it has the EJ18 engine.

I have also found that the 1.8GL came with N/A setup or SPI setup. It seems I`m not sure which of these incarnations I have

I am disabled an can`t get into work mode any longer to discover this myself.

Now to my point has any kind soul got any pics of either the 90EJ18 1.8 N/A engine and the 90EJ18 1.8 SPI engine so I can discover which is my type before I decide to start looking for tuning bits.

Thanks peoploids
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Uh... I'm a bit puzzled. N/A means "naturally aspirated," right? And SPI means "sequential port injection?" Or "single point injection?"

In either case, N/A and SPI are orthogonal concepts; they don't have anything to do with one another.

And I'm pretty sure your car is both naturally aspirated and port fuel injected.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
magepaster
In Neutral

Post by magepaster »

I`ve been informed that with one it`ll have a carb and with the other it`ll have a throttle body.
It has also been suggested to me the European models did not come as a carbed models but with single point feul injection and that the throttle body on such models can look like a carb when surrounded by all the other crap under the bonnet. I had been asked to upload a pic of my engine bay in order that someone could see it to identify it, but not having a camera that option is out. And not being mobile enough to work in the engine bay I can`t check myself.

On the fuel injection front I would recognise multi point injection no trouble

Never having seen SPI and being informed that it contains a throttle body similar in appearance to a carb leaves me unsure of what I have bought.

thanks
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, I have seen pics of the carbed models. Not sure where I saw them though......because they would be useful right now.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

magepaster - Ah, okay, I see... Well, in this thread someone posted a picture of the engine bay of a carbureted 1.6 Legacy:

viewtopic.php?t=1116&start=13

It's kind of low-resolution so I'm not sure how much it might help you.

One way to distinguish between a TBI setup and a carbureted setup is the presence of an airflow sensor or manifold absolute pressure sensor. As far as I know, Subaru never developed a speed density (pressure-based) fueling system until the late 1990s, so if your engine is fuel injected there should be an airflow meter somewhere. Late 1980s US-market SPI Subarus had the airflow meter attached to the top of the air filter housing, which is mounted against the right-side fender.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
magepaster
In Neutral

Post by magepaster »

vrg3...... that is exactly what my engine looks like( although mine is much much cleaner :D ) thanks.

So now I know it`s the carb model, any ideas on making it a little more willing to keep up with traffic? I`m not interested in making it into a flying machine and I`m not stupid enough to believe it ever could be. But a little more life in it would be nice.

thanks
Golden Oldie
In Neutral

EJ18S pictures from a 1991 UK Legacy

Post by Golden Oldie »

Here is a couple of pictures of my EJ18S from a UK 1.8GL AWD 16V injection :)

1991 Subaru Legacy 1.8GL 5MT AWD Sedan...in Gold :D 118,881 miles and counting...

[color=red]Visit my website - [/color][url=http://www.legacyregister.co.uk]www.legacyregister.co.uk[/url]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Ewwww! Golden, you got some cleaning ahead of you! :?
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

:shock:

Is there an engine under all that?

Golden, if you didn't live across an entire continent and ocean, I'd come over with a keg of Simple Green and help you make that engine bling! 8)
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Golden Oldie, thanks for posting those pics! Very interesting...

I don't seem to see an airflow meter. So perhaps I was mistaken and Subaru did use a speed density system. That's interesting; I thought the first speed density fueling system made by Subaru was in the phase 2 EJ25.

And it's got a distributor... Interesting too.
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

The block looks almost like a loyale block and the intake manifold only has two legs as opposed to four. Intersting... How about tossing a holly four-barrel on there 8)

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
Golden Oldie
In Neutral

Post by Golden Oldie »

subyluvr2212 wrote:Ewwww! Golden, you got some cleaning ahead of you! :?
Taadaaaaaa!! :lol: :lol:

1991 Subaru Legacy 1.8GL 5MT AWD Sedan...in Gold :D 118,881 miles and counting...

[color=red]Visit my website - [/color][url=http://www.legacyregister.co.uk]www.legacyregister.co.uk[/url]
magepaster
In Neutral

Post by magepaster »

Oooh, it looks like my engine now :D

You do work quickly G.O.
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

NICE!

HUGE improvement! Bravo! 8)
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

much much better

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
Golden Oldie
In Neutral

Post by Golden Oldie »

It's definately fuel injection as it says so on the throtle body cover and there are four legs from the throttle body to the lnlet ports on the heads, they are just ickle ones :oops:

It's in the shop getting new gaskets to cure loads of oil leaks at the moment (why it had got soooo dirty) so I will get some more pictures up in a week or two :)

magepaster
In Neutral

Post by magepaster »

I`ve eventualy managed to get a pic of my engine. A poor old asthmatic carburetted pensioner. At least it`s clean...ish. I`ve only ever rinsed it over with water so I suppose that`s not too bad for a car that cost less than £500

1990 1.8GL AWD saloon, Mica Red .
mint