Rally Legacy Version 2!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

rally370
Second Gear

Rally Legacy Version 2!

Post by rally370 »

I've been busy for the last year knocking together a 2.5L phase II block with 2.2L heads,Delta cams, equal length header and a few other mods. I've been keeping the engine build low key as I was not sure if this conversion would be good. So I had a 2.2L spare engine on stand by. Anyway after a few teething problems, job change, traveling and trying to sell up and move to MA I finally got the car on the road. Much to my surprise it pasted it's smog. So at this point in time I'm putting miles on the engine.

One problem I had was the the MAF was bad so thanks to Blackbart I solved that problem. Anyway the engine passed it's smog with the CEL on which turned out to be the white heater wire had come off the O2 sensor as I had put one of those Ebay universal jobs on. The engine runs well with this wire disconected. Once I conect it the engine runs really rough below 3000rpm. Like it's running lean. It idle fine. revs up good but would pull. Like I said without the white wire it runs well. So I replaced the O2 for a better unit . CEL is off but it still runs crap. I have a 255lph pump on order as my pump is the original 200,000 unit.

Could the heater wire coming off have trashed the ECU? or something else?

Driving the car is fun as I can notice the extra power. Driving it on stage should be more fun!

Thanks go to Crawford Performance,Matt Monson, 206er,Blackbart and All wheels driven.

Oh now I have to ru in open class. Which is fine as mst of the folks in PGT run WRX's so if I'm going to get beat it's better in a fun open class car!
Cheers

Chris

Rally Legacy AWD #370 gone! Rally Suzuki swift GTI N1 #370 parted out. Now Mini Cooper #370 with STI suspension in Costa Rica
aspect
First Gear

Post by aspect »

N/A open class, you are brave!

IMO, the legacy isn't really that competitive even in P4 anymore, what with WRX's and STi's getting ecu remapping and still staying class legal. You might as well build the best car you can reasonably afford and then go have fun irregardless of class.
dirt-covered 91 SS prorally
pat richard roll cage, DMS 50mm, stickers...
SOLD :(

99 impreza RS
ver. 7 sti swap, ver. 6 RA suspension, JDM bodywork, rotated GT28rs
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Glad to hear about another 2.5/2.2. I'm afraid I can't answer your questions but I do look forward to hearing a report of how much you like once it's running smooth and strong.

Which grind did you get from Delta?

Goodluck with the engine and the Open class :).
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
rally370
Second Gear

Post by rally370 »

Yeah I did think long and hard about what class to run. We won CRS GT in 2005 . With my new job I have now there is no way I could ever do another Championship. So seeing as building the car for me is as much fun as driving it I decided to go for the 2.5/2.2 option. In either PGT or open I'm not going to be in the running. So I figured I'd slowly build the car in open class. I can move the battery to the rear, better brakes more lightening of the shell etc. I think by the time I'm done the car will be fun to drive but also cheap to run, plus I drive it on the street so I don't want engine mods that will give police issues. I even put a EJ 2.2 badge over the EJ2.5 on the block!!

I think there was only one grind available from Delta. I will have to check.

Anyway we will see. I'm putting on a HP fuel pump this weekend so I hope that fixes my problem.
Cheers

Chris

Rally Legacy AWD #370 gone! Rally Suzuki swift GTI N1 #370 parted out. Now Mini Cooper #370 with STI suspension in Costa Rica
legacymax
Second Gear

Post by legacymax »

wow, this is the same engine build I am going to be doing for my rally impreza. I will use it for rallycross and then I will have to swap the 1.8L back in for PGT class at Colorado Rally. Good power boost from the 2.2?
-Max
94 legacy Silver Touring Wagon now w/ 5spd, Ground Controls, ej20g, rear VLSD, td05, and edms.
95 impreza Rally car. 3.0 H6
88 Toyota fj62 OME lift.
rally370
Second Gear

Post by rally370 »

If you need any help let me know!
Cheers

Chris

rally370
Second Gear

Post by rally370 »

The engine is now running very well, enough to brake away the soft rally tyres on tarmac when lauching, sometihing the weedy 2.2L counldn't do! I had lots of input from here and Special stage to fix my problem. Main problems were o2 sensor wiring, fuel pressure and fuel pump. I fitted an adjustable fuel regulator and gauge and increased the pressure a wee bit. I can't wait to try it on stage.
Cheers

Chris