First Gen BOLT ON SCOOP.. $110 + ship.. Photos and Update!

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32

What do you think?

I'll take one!
33%
It's going on my Chrismas list...
13%
What's the price, we'll go from there...
41%
Nah, I like stock
13%

Total votes: 46

Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

First Gen BOLT ON SCOOP.. $110 + ship.. Photos and Update!

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

UPDATE!
August, 25 2008

Well, my body shop that was doing these, the owner packed up and left back to Ireland after a bad spat with his wife, I'm out $550 I guess.

But since I still want a scoop, here's what I've got so far. I'm going to stick with the original price of $110 plus shipping. Even though I dont have any of the tools and had to buy em to make my own scoop. I've made fiberglass things before, please bear with me though, I've not done a lot and this will be the most complex thing I've ever made. I am a good sculpter, so the plug wont be hard, the making a mold re usable might be.. :P So it may take a bit. I ran out of body filler, hehe, so I figured this would make a good stopping point for some primer and pics to see how close it is. Normally the primer is a last covering, but since the plug is just to make the mold, it doesn't matter. *bondo on top of paint/primer will pop off in time.. so dont do it to stuff you want to keep*

It's kinda funny and sad that I did more on a Sunday afternoon than a body shop with a year's worth of time.

Inital shape in molding foam.

A bit of body filler later....

With a few more hours of sanding and a shot of primer, it's nearly looking like a scoop. I still need to complete the front edge and bottom, but it's definitely gone much faster at my hands...

Last edited by Legacy Rally Guy on Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I'm totally in, just as long as it doesn't cost too much...
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
New92
Third Gear

Post by New92 »

Hmmm....I would like to see the final product. Could you not just remove the stocker and adhere to the hood?
1992 SS 5MT
She's growing faster in her old age!
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

New92 wrote:Hmmm....I would like to see the final product. Could you not just remove the stocker and adhere to the hood?
I'm sure you could... but it'd require making it permanant... unless one fabricates a lip with mounting bolts if you wanted it removable...
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

New92 wrote:Hmmm....I would like to see the final product. Could you not just remove the stocker and adhere to the hood?
There ya go... updated description and it's now a bolt on... though I suppose you could still stick it on with seam sealer...

Progress pictures should happen shortly!

laters,

Ken
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

asc_up wrote:I'm totally in, just as long as it doesn't cost too much...
I'm paying for the plug and mold making, cause I wanted one, so here ya go... $100 to 110... I hope this is in the fitting price range for a custom scoop :P
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

I'm freakin down. that will look badass.
Kickin' it old-school.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

I f*ck yeah. I'm totally in!!

When can we get them??
-Aaron

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Very cool!

I'll be dropping off the mold making cash this week!

I'll talk to him about build time and keep you all posted!
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Sweet. Sounds like a great deal.
-Aaron

Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

I'm hoping that this will help us advance towards the side skirts too... Gotta start somewhere!
kidatari
Second Gear

Post by kidatari »

Pending pics of a fully done prototype, I'm very interested :)
[size=75]91 Perl White 5MT Legacy Sport Sedan[/size]
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

kidatari wrote:Pending pics of a fully done prototype, I'm very interested :)
Soon, very soon! Well, I can't jump in line at the shop, but it's on thier to-do list... I plan to be running to the bank this week to get the payment/deposite.. :P

hehe I can't wait, it's one of the last things for my car to really trim it out!
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

How long do you think it will take before you can get pictures of the final product up?
-Aaron

James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

$110 sounds on the steeper end of the spectrum, but if it's a bolt-on replacement for the original, I'd have to say that it's worth it to not have to fudge up my hood with a hacksaw or epoxy.

About how long will these be available for?
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

asc_up wrote:How long do you think it will take before you can get pictures of the final product up?
We'll see, he's got a show-bike in front of me, that takes priority... Though this'll be approaching front burner fairly soon!

And availability of the scoop wont be a prob, orders will be filled out in the order they come, I'm sure he wouldn't mind dusting off the mold a month from now to make a couple sets if people miss the first run. ^^ I imagine he'll most likely make a few extra in the first run, just in case some people come through later. ^^

Certainly keep in mind that there'll be only a single mold set, so it's first come first serve...

I hope I answered everyone's questions so far. ^^
silverlegacy
In Neutral

Post by silverlegacy »

I would be very interested pending final product and price.
bmxkelowna
Fourth Gear

Post by bmxkelowna »

i will take one
greg donovan
Fourth Gear

Post by greg donovan »

color me interested pending a peek at the final product.

i would love to have a bolt on scoop and the price is more than fair to me. especially if all need is a can of spray paint and a couple wrenches.
96 Impreza L sedan
97 legacy outback limited
00 Impreza RS sedan
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

I'm liking the response volume, let alone the positive!

And Greg, I'm totally going with an Orilies rattle can "color matched" to my color code..

Most of my money is going to go to my bills, but I'll get the whole car done when tax return time comes along next year!

I'm glad Pippen suggested making it bolt on!

Oh and The official name of his shop *more p.c.* hehe is "Pippen the Friendly Ranger" If I remember correctly he knows someone from Thin Lizzy and got their permission a while back.. :P
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

greg donovan wrote:color me interested pending a peek at the final product.

i would love to have a bolt on scoop and the price is more than fair to me. especially if all need is a can of spray paint and a couple wrenches.
What he said.

I'll probably paint it with Plasti-dip like my current scoop (Keep it fast, keep it flat black.)
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
1994supersport
In Neutral

cool

Post by 1994supersport »

I want one! PM me when available. do you take paypal? more than happy to pay $110 for bolt on. you are doing everyone a favor. I want to see the new next to the original to see the size difference! Please keep me posted as to when and what to expect! I have sideskirts on my 1994 sport sedan I used some off of a 2000 legacy and they look great!
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Re: cool

Post by SubaruNation »

1994supersport wrote: I have sideskirts on my 1994 sport sedan I used some off of a 2000 legacy and they look great!
uh....

we need pictures stat :D
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Re: cool

Post by asc_up »

SubaruNation wrote:
1994supersport wrote: I have sideskirts on my 1994 sport sedan I used some off of a 2000 legacy and they look great!
uh....

we need pictures stat :D
+1!!
-Aaron

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Has this snuck its way to the front burner yet?
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS