Round Two: Standalone scan tools, for non-turbos too

Parts and services from sanctioned vendors and businesses.

Moderator: Moderators

vrg3
Vikash

Round Two: Standalone scan tools, for non-turbos too

Post by vrg3 »

All sold, for now. Watch this space for more.

Sorry I don't have a better picture.

For an explanation of what this is about, please refer to these two threads:

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=34119
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=34131

I've updated the design a little bit, so the new model is really basically just a two-ended cable. One end connects to the car's Select Monitor port and the other to the cartridge slot of the JuiceBox toy.

It also has support for all North American first-generation Legacy models, not just turbos. I have no non-turbo models to test it on, however, so there is a chance that a non-turbo owner will have to help me iron out a few bugs. That said, I am quite confident it will work because I based it on the non-turbo functionality of my computer-based scantool.

What you'd get is basically what is pictured, except I believe all the Juice Boxes I have left are blue rather than gray.

As before, I will try in good faith to help with any problems, but I cannot provide a warranty of any kind. I'm testing the devices on my own car right now.

I have six units to sell. I am leaving the country on Saturday, so I'd like to sell at least a few of these before then so I have a little spending money for my vacation.

With that in mind, I am asking $220 USD shipped within the United States, and $230 USD shipped to Canada if you pay before 9:00 AM EST Saturday January 26th 2008. After that, the price is $240 USD for the US and $250 USD for Canada.

If you want one shipped to any other country, ask. Remember, though, that this will only work on North American ECUs.

PayPal payments can be sent to vikashgoel at gmail dot com. A payment is the only way to reserve a unit. If you pay before the above time, I will ship within 1 day. If you pay after, I will ship by February 8th.
Last edited by vrg3 on Wed Feb 20, 2008 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

I'll test it on my NA.
90 L+ wgn
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Alright, one spoken for. 5 left!
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Post by TheSubaruJunkie »

Mind getting a picture of one in use? Would like to see what that display looks like when reading variables.

thanks
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
TheSubaruJunkie
Fourth Gear

Post by TheSubaruJunkie »

Woops, I followed one of the other links and found images of it working. :) Looks real good vic, i'll have to start saving more pennies.
1983 Subaru GL-10 Brat
1986 Toyota 4Runner
ripplesouth
First Gear

Re: Round Two: Standalone scan tools, for non-turbos too

Post by ripplesouth »

I have 1990 Subaru legacy LS AWD EJ22 Non-turbo. Will this work in my vehicle?

Can I use it with a laptop?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yes, this will work with your car.

No, it doesn't work with a laptop.

Have you read the sticky threads in the electrical forum? If you want to scan your ECU with a laptop you might be able to use a free scan tool I made.
ripplesouth
First Gear

I'll buy one

Post by ripplesouth »

vrg3 wrote:Yes, this will work with your car.

Have you read the sticky threads in the electrical forum? If you want to scan your ECU with a laptop you might be able to use a free scan tool I made.

Please send me a unit and the free laptop utility.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I can sell you this standalone unit if you send the PayPal payment as described.

As for the free utility, if you read the sticky thread I mentioned you will find a link to the web page where you can download the software as well as read up on how to build the needed cable.
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

ripplesouth wrote:

Please send me a unit and the free laptop utility.
My car has poor idle with occasional engine cutting out on idle, poor throttle response, no more power at full throttle than at half throttle. I'm getting trouble codes and I know how to get them without a scan tool however with data-monitoring I feel I can narrow down which system is worn out and causing the poor performance. I've ran the car with 91 Octane fuel and it's a non-turbo. Occasionally when quickly hitting Wide Open throttle *from a standing start* I hear this mechanical clack sound similar to engine knock. I recently replaced the knock sensor.

I'd like this scan tool as soon as possible. Perhaps you can build one that integrates with a 7" double-din radio head unit display such as pioneer Avic Z2?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I agree that instrumentation of this type will help you figure out the problems you are describing. There have also been many discussions on this BBS about problems like yours, so you would probably benefit a great deal from reading up on older threads.

I do not have any plans to build a different type of device at the present time, so I don't think you can expect one integrated into a head unit. These ones were built and designed in my spare time.

If you would like one, you can make the payment and I will get it on its way to you sometime this week. With all the other things I have going on at the moment, I can't offer anything faster; sorry.
ripplesouth
First Gear

Post by ripplesouth »

Could you repost the links to the sticky?

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

A sticky thread is one that has been marked such that it is always at the top of a forum. All you have to do is go to the Electrical forum and look at the top of the thread listings.
ripplesouth
First Gear

RE: getting a unit out to me

Post by ripplesouth »

vrg3 wrote:I agree that instrumentation of this type will help you figure out the problems you are describing. There have also been many discussions on this BBS about problems like yours, so you would probably benefit a great deal from reading up on older threads.

I do not have any plans to build a different type of device at the present time, so I don't think you can expect one integrated into a head unit. These ones were built and designed in my spare time.

If you would like one, you can make the payment and I will get it on its way to you sometime this week. With all the other things I have going on at the moment, I can't offer anything faster; sorry.
If you could please setup a private auction on your favourite auction site such as ebay and get it to me within 30 days I would be pleased to purchase it. Thanks.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I'm sorry, I do not offer another method for purchase. I don't like the cost and complexity associated with private auctions, and I feel that Legacy Central is a small enough community with its own trust network that I feel safe without it. I'm not trying to run a business; my primary goal with this stuff is to help out other Legacy owners.

Since you don't know me, I understand why you might be apprehensive. I can only apologize and thank you for your interest.
m44offroad
First Gear

Post by m44offroad »

do you still have any available? i work as a technician and given my knowlege on how vehicles opperate i like the idea of being able to watch certain parameters (mainly fuel trim) while driving to see how the vehicle is opperating.
1990 AWD Legacy LS, 5mt, manual belts and Vikash standalone scantool.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yes, I have four units unspoken for.

It is nice to be able to watch this stuff while the car's running. One of my roommates actually likes watching the oxygen sensor signal; she finds it cute how the little bubble keeps trying to sit in the middle of the yellow but can never stay.
m44offroad
First Gear

Post by m44offroad »

paypal sent.
1990 AWD Legacy LS, 5mt, manual belts and Vikash standalone scantool.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Cool, thanks! I'll get your scan tool out to you this week.

Three units left, folks!
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Payment sent.
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Great, thanks!

Those of you waiting for your scan tools to ship, I will have them in the mail tomorrow.

There is one unit still unspoken for.
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Works AWESOME!!!!!!!
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Sweet, glad to hear it! What ECU exactly are you using it with?
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

1990 5mt NA
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Nice. 8)