Haltech, LinkPlus, or Autronic for stand alone EM

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Thanks for the comments Dan.

There's not enough room in that area where the airbag computer goes.

I don't like it, but I'm probably going to have to look at the front passenger foot well.

This is beginning to annoy me.....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

It's going to have to go in the front passenger foot well.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... install/04

I will have to custom make a bracket to support the ECU and fab up a plate to cover it. I've got a buddy with some metal working tools at his house, so I may just go ahead and finish the wiring, get the car running and have to take it up to his house to make the bracket and kick plate.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

You could put it in the stock location, but it is a serious pain and since you most likely have the 2m loom, why not put it in the footwell.

I'm half tempted to order a new harness, but I don't know if I want to spend the coin. I have plenty of other crap to buy still, including a lot of paint...
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah I have the longer harness. I'm just going to stick it in the footwell. It's just not worth messing with the stock location.

I'm actually going to order another harness for future use or resale, since it's unknown how long Link will be making/supporting the G3 platform.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I've finished the harness and adapter wiring. Finished things up yesterday. I've still got a weekend or two to put everything in the car, wire up the few sensors and put the intake manifold back on, but that shouldn't be too big a deal.

Soldering on the adapter went pretty well. Miles with Fine Line Imports gets a gold star for this project on recommending installing the adapter in the stock ECU case. It worked beautifully!! I hot glued the adapter to the case, cut out openings on the back of the case, and put some tubing around the edges. Hot glue is also what I encased the wires in.

Here's some pictures.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... install/05
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

One thing I forgot to mention is that I found out my Zeitronix is the older version which does not have a linear WB output. So I'm going to either need to upgrade or see if I can exchange it.....we'll see.

Plus I'm not sure if the Link even uses WB input to control anything, or if it's just more of an information piece.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Legacy777 wrote: Miles with Fine Line Imports gets a gold star for this project on recommending installing the adapter in the stock ECU case. It worked beautifully!! I hot glued the adapter to the case, cut out openings on the back of the case, and put some tubing around the edges. Hot glue is also what I encased the wires in.

Here's some pictures.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... install/05
Wow what a genius idea! That looks good and should hold up well. I like.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Got most of the wiring done yesterday. ECU adapter is installed, and Link loose fitted/installed in the passenger footwell. I also ran the wires for the IAT sensor and new knock sensor.

I've got to put the intake manifold back on, and do some miscellaneous work, but the main work is over.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... install/06
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Hmmmmm. You're giving me ideas. What kind, I don't know yet, but new ones nonetheless. I just need to see how much harness I do indeed have left.
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I ended up cutting about 1.5 - 2 ft of the stock harness off.

I did end up getting a new harness for future use. I did this due to the uncertainty of availability in the future.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I really hate my car at times!!!

I spent most of the day yesteray swearing and yelling trying to get the damn intake manifold back in. The wiring loom under the manifold was hitting the coolant crossover, but I figured that out.....then got everything together and realized I ran the one wiring loom incorrectly and had to remove the manifold. It just was a real pain in the ass!!!!

I've got everything so shoehorned in there that it has to be taken apart and put back together in a certain way. I did it backwards and it just sucks!!!

Anyway....here's some pictures

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... nstall/07/
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Continued working on things today. Got the driver's side of the engine bay put back together, and all the extra grounds/power wiring fed into the battery/wire connectors. It looks pretty good, and definitely cleans things up compared to how I used to have it.

I redid the previous ground/power leads I had with 4-gauge wire that is MUCH more flexible. I added extra grounds to the starter, chassis, and a new one to the ground on the intake manifold to tie everything together. I also ran an extra lead to the alternator.

I still need to work on putting the new MAP sensor & boost solenoid in, and need to rework the catch can with some "emissions/oil" resistant 1/2" hose. The heater hose has gotten soft and slimey.

I did however find out something interesting. The catch can was working, even without baffles. How do I know, I spilled oil on the garage floor. I'm probably going to try and add a baffle of some sorts, but it's nice to know it's working to some extent. There's still oil in the intake of the turbo, but I guess it could have been a lot worse.

I'm also going to need to drain the fuel out of the tank. It's been sitting there since October 31st of last year. It may still be ok, but I don't want to be running marginal gas while the car is tuned. I'll throw it in the Impreza, haha :lol:

Here's pictures

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... install/08
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Did you get any oil rated hose yet? I previously used Weatherhead for my oil drain. The stuff is a bit stiff to work with though.

I usually go to diesel truck shops for hose like that.
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

No, not yet. I found some PCV emissions hose on JCWhitney. It however is slightly larger then 1/2". It's 19/32, which would probably work, but I need to double check. I think it was around $13.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well I'm pretty much done.

I finished up the rest of the items I had to do this weekend. I modified the boost sensor bracket to use the GM parts. I tried making my own bracket out of SS sheet metal. It fits, but looks like ass. I could have finished things off and made the edges look ok, but I still didn't really like how it looks.

I also modified the 45 deg airbox to fit my 'extra' air intake tube. I remounted the catch can, and ended up just using heater hose again. Oh well.

All that is left is to figure out the piping between the airbox and turbo. The 45 deg bend and reducer may not work. things are shifted slightly and may require a complete custom setup. I'm looking for a shop in the Houston area that does custom intake piping.

Lastly, when I went to work on the base map for the Link, I ran across some issues with the new PC Link software. I don't know if the problem is the software (probably is) or if there's something else going on. Dan, I'm probably going to email you about this.

Updated pics are at the bottom of that page.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... inkinstall

HOPEFULLY I'll have the car running and tuned by the end of May.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

PM replied.
→Dan

Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

I just pulled the LINK, zeitronix, and TurboXS out of my 98'. It's all going in my 92'. I was just starting to think about trying to make an adapter so I didn't have to cut up my 92's harness, and then I saw yours. Apparently I'm going to need to learn how to solder on a circuit board...

A few questions: For your adapter, did you just cut the front part of circuit board with the connectors off of the rest of it, or did you start all over from scratch?

Also, how hard is it going to be to mount the LINK up near the stock ecu? I only have about 6-8" left on my harness for the LINK and I don't want to/can't afford to buy a new harness right now.
92' SS: SOLD
98' 2.5GT SOLD, bought back, new stupid build in the works.
98' 2.5 GT-rx :bought not built
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Max, I think Josh got the last one of their adapter boards.

If you remember, I mounted my ECU in the stock location. I had to make a small bracket for the inboard side of it, but it fit. It is pretty cozy in there btw. I left about two feet on my harness though.
→Dan

Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

Damn. The main reason I wanted the adapter was I don't want to cut up my harness, after going though the trouble of having to find a new one after I cut up the one im my 98'.

I was also thinking if I could build the adapter, than my car wouldn't have to be down for more than a weekend to put the link in cause I could do most the wiring stuff before hand...

I'm also trying to decide if I want to do the LINK at the same time as my DOHC's or if I want to do it before hand to get all the kinks worked out, what do you think about that matter dan?
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I may or may not try using a blow torch to desolder an ecu header from one of the few ecu's I have laying around here. After connecting wires to the header pins I would encapsulate the back side in epoxy or hot glue so the thin header pins don't fatigue and break over time.

We'll see if I give it a shot or not. I have a lot to do before I get to that bridge.
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

As Dan mentioned, I got one of the Link Adaptalink boards. As Dan mentioned, I think a blow torch is probably what you'll need to use to get the pins desoldered from the board.

From there if you get the connector desoldered, you need to probably have a custom PCB printed to solder the Link harness too.

Your other option would be to repin the stock ECU connectors on the chassis side. There would still be some additional tweaking, but I think it's doable.

BTW I figured out my issue with the PCLink software.....I don't think I was all there yesterday.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Good good. Is it going to run tomorrow ? :-D
→Dan

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I don't know about tomorrow. I completely drained the gas tank. So I've got to get some gas in there before I do anything. But my hope is to try starting her up this week.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Grayguy
Second Gear

Post by Grayguy »

Legacy777 wrote:
Your other option would be to repin the stock ECU connectors on the chassis side. There would still be some additional tweaking, but I think it's doable.

What exactly is this? I'm not sure what you mean. I might have to pull the ecu out of my spare t-leg. I've never even looked at one for these cars before.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The connectors are the same.

Stock ECU
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... P_6544.JPG

Link ECU (yeah I know, not the greatest picture)
http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... P_8852.JPG

You take the pins in the stock connectors that plug into the stock ECU, and you move them around. That way, you can just plug the stock ECU connectors directly into the Link ECU.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT