wierd noises.

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Redlined
Fourth Gear

wierd noises.

Post by Redlined »

Did my TD05/Intercooler install this weekend. Took till sunday morning to get the damn turbo in. (( disassembly took me quite a while)).

But its all together. Im not pleased with the install I ended up reusing a couple of the formed lines in places they where not ment to go resulting in twisted lines, I botched the Y hose mod. I spent several hours doing refittings and ended up just strong-arming it into place. I had to "modify" the hood for clearance and it STILL fits tight.

Engine runs good. Turbo builds boost.

Couple of small issues. mostly stemming from lack of time/second vehicle causing me to rush and accept work i normally wouldnt. Damn near bought a $500 car just so Id have a back up and now wish I had.

The speedometer stopped working for some reason. I have a small coolant leak. I suspect the lower coolant line on the turbo but its to dark to look now. Turbo hits a little later than the VF11. about 3000 rpms. At about 5 lbs boost there is a realy strange noise. Kinda like a whoopy cusion on steroids. I suspect my butcher job and poor fitmant of the silicone lines lift it crimped somewhere. or possibly a line pulled off somewhere so its not OFF just kinda half on. Any Ideas?

ill fix the coolant leak tomorrow after work. and I need to rework some of the hoses.

Anyone have a y pipe modified for our cars they would be willing to sell? I might try my own hand at it again but the thought of screwing up another set of hoses makes my wallet scream.
Dave

Post by BSOD2600 »

I just updated my 07 WRX TMIC & TD05H-16G installation guide today, since my old Samco hose failed me due to a poor cutting job. Have you read it over for some pointers?

What clearance issues are you having? Didn't have any with either of my cars...

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

great irony in that I spent a good hour or more looking for THAT VERY GUIDE today. Couldnt remember what the name of the guide was and ended up not finding it.

The Intercooler doesn't want to settle forward snug with the throttle body (an issue with my poor job on the y pipe I believe) making it sit farther back than it should which creates clearance issues with the Air conditioner pipe and the... erm... white lip that the igniter used to be bolted to. making it sit higher and interfere with the hood.

and im definately gonna brows your guide.
Dave

Post by Redlined »

PS where did you order your Samco Y pipe from?
Dave

Post by BSOD2600 »

Did you tuck all the wires / AC line under the dog bone? if not, thats your source of clearance issues.

Got the Samco from http://www.maperformance.com -- $109.99 + 20 overnight shipping (at least to WA).

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

After reviewing your guide I think I started with the wrong Y pipe. a bit part of my issue with the install is I couldnt get the long pipe to leave at a 90 degree angle and ended up strong-arming the conections into place. Ill order another piece and start over. without the time constraint I should be able to do a better job. doubly so with the correct piece to start with.
Dave

Post by Redlined »

ok. verified it. definately got the wrong Y-pipe in the first place. ordered the new one and its on its way. this weekend ill be able to take my time and do it right.

On an unrelated note... my Coolant leak has disappeared. Sunday night drove her about a mile. steam was coming out of the hood. coolant dripping under the engine. I babied it home but it was to dark and late to worry about it. they next day I added coolant and drove her.... no leak. Drove her to work and back today... no leak. I still get the occasional sickly sweet smell of hot coolant but no noticeable leaks or drips. Also on the way to work the "Break" idiot light came on. Breaks worked fine, weren't dragging, not squishy at all. E-brake worked and released fine. On the way home I stopped at a quick-e-mart. when I left the light was out.

Strange things are afoot in Denmark.
Dave

Post by Dynamic Entry »

it's possible you didn't have a leak of coolant as much as you spilled a bunch of it on your block and whatever else during the swap

that certainly occurred the last time I swapped turbos. took a couple days for the smell to fully disappear

speedo = I dunno , sorry

if your ABS got upset for some reason the brake warning light would come on and stay on, but then reset upon shutdown/restart. this happens to mine when autoXing in the snow/gravel.

but, you may have gremlins that are affecting the cluster (speedo and warning lights)

my speedometer gets really crazy when the temp goes down to -40. it will read a fraction of my real speed and/or multiply it.

this winter could be interesting.
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

I'm betting you unplugged the cable accidently, try pushing it back in place at the tranny, and even against the firewall incase you yanked it from the speedo.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

Brake light cam on again this morning.

Looks like the speedo cable came un plugged from the speedo. I'll pull the cluster tonight.

Still no more coolant so I'm hoping dynamic entry is correct on that front.

Realy getting irritated. My car is sstarting to feel like a beater :(
Dave

Post by asc_up »

You're low on brake fluid. Just top it off and be sure to push the little float up and down a couple times to make sure it sits where it is supposed to.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

Spot on Aaron. It wasnt at the low line but it was low. guess Angel is a little touchy about her brake fluid.
Dave

Post by Redlined »

And Spot on to ericem. Cable was detached from the Speedo, a quick <?> cluster removal show this true and I now have a working speedometer.

Shes feeling more squared away. Now to fixed that messed up Intercooler install so I can play a little.

Thanks to everyone thats contributed, Angel is comming back around to her true form.
Dave

Post by Redlined »

got it all together and right tonight.

After 3 weeks worth of waiting on parts. (1 of the 4 parts I ordered arrived without issues. the others needed to be reordered or where on backorder or I got the wrong part... bleh)

All I can say is ZOMG! She is so stoked now. Im getting about 10lbs boost though I could swear she went upto 12 on the single On-ramp sprint I managed. (rush-hour is not a good time to go out testing your cars boost) Ill post more later. though Kinda curious why im getting so much boost as I havent changed the MBC settings at all.

The BPV set up still needs work. Its all loose.... sounds like something from Three fast three furious. Trying to remember who it was had a set up done with a bunch of 90 degree fittings... Like to mimic that but havent seen anything in the lines of those fittings around.

Im so happy Im having trouble sitting still! Very excited! Thanks to all for all the great help youve given me!
Dave

Post by asc_up »

The boost has probably creeped up because either A) you accidentally nudged it a bit or B) the weather has gotten colder in your area.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

Weather is definately colder and wetter. Another thing I've noticed. If I let off just as boost Is comming up the motor surges if I'm even partially on the throttle.
Dave
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd check your BPV.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

BPv is definatly loose. The t bolt clamps I ordered where to small.

While we are on the subject. What's the benifite to upgrading the bpv? Is it worth it on an automatic? Is there a upgrade part in the Subaru stable? (wrx sti. Rs)
Dave

Post by Mattheww044 »

I've read on Nasioc that the stock WRX BPV is actually better than almost all of the aftermarket ones. I picked up a brand new Perrin Recirc. BPV for 50$ so I couldn't turb that down. Once I get my IC installed I will try the Perrin vs. stock and post any noise difference. I don't think there would be ANY performance differences but if there are any noticable I will definately post it all.
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Are you running the stock Legacy BPV or the WRX/STi BPV?

I've ran around 20 psi on the stock turbo legacy BPV without any issues.

There are two criteria IMO that need to be looked at. Can it hold the pressure back when you're on boost so you don't have boost leaking back pre compressor, and can it relieve all the pressure adequately when the engine goes back to vacuum so the compressor doesn't surge.

In my configuration, the stock BPV works fine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Redlined
Fourth Gear

Post by Redlined »

Im using the stock one. Seems to be enough for the job. Just wasn't sure why or when You should update.

Fixed up the BPV system. Cracked the 90 degree elbow going from the cofeecup to the turbo so Ill be needing another one of those. Luckily its before the turbo so it isnt under pressure and I patched it together well enough to work.

Good god she pulls. Its intoxicating. Ive had to start driving through town on the way to work to cut down on temptaion.
Dave