fender flares

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Lego
First Gear

fender flares

Post by Lego »

has anyone put fendor flares on to increase wheel width
1992 legacy h6
1998 legacy gt sedan: for sale soon
adema2626
Second Gear

Post by adema2626 »

I know a guy with a Impreza that took some ae86 corolla fenders and cut them up and welded them onto his fenders to make them bigger for clearance.
-Aaron
93 Imp wag, 94 Imp wag WRX swap, 99 Imp Sedan WRX swap, 01 Imp Outback Sport, 05 Outback XT, 00 Outback, 98 Outback, 93 Leg touring, 93 Leg wag, 94 Leg wag lifted ej22t swap, 79 Brat 4x4 EA81 4spd d/r swap, 97 Crown Vic lifted
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

Corolla and 240sx fender flares are popular options for the Impreza crowd, I've yet to see any installed on a legacy. I say go for it!
SUBARUEHS Racing
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I would think the stock fenders could be expanded with a little cutting and welding or cutting and glass. I thought of it myself, making something like a 22B Legacy wagon, but changed my plans.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Lego
First Gear

Post by Lego »

i think ill just get some flares you screw on and cut my fendors so i can go wide, the rears will suck but i could just not worry about rears and take out rear seats and not worry about opening the rear doors
1992 legacy h6
1998 legacy gt sedan: for sale soon
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

I'd probably be more inclined to get these kind of flares than to cut and weld...

Though these cars do look good with just pulled fenders too. I think just the round fender looks much better than the weird box shape we have, so flares should do the job as well
Last edited by Apex3 on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
WagonMafia
First Gear

Post by WagonMafia »

hahahaha, id go for it, thatd look sweet. watch out, i may do it before you, along with the fender mounted mirrors! go for it!
WagonMafia
-Pure White 93 L Wagon converted to Turbo Wagon (almost complete)
-Pure White 92 SS parts car (doner) donated to friend
-91 Mazda miata drifto DD
http://photobucket.com/wagonmafia
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

In my research for building my own car, I think I recall seeing fender-mounted mirrors as not being legal in the US, but it might be OK if they can be adjusted from the cockpit. I don't remember exactly as I was looking into the legality of replacing the side mirrors with small cameras or something to eliminate the drag aerodynamically and aesthetically, so wasn't concerned with fender mounting. I doubt it's a vehicle code on the top of every cop's head, but just so you know if you're serious, you might want to check into it.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
WagonMafia
First Gear

Post by WagonMafia »

Evolution, I actually didnt think of that. I live in AZ. and ppl drive quads, side-by-sides, and sandrails around on the road and the fine law enforcement here doesnt even take a 2nd look. Theres no inspection besides when you apply for a title on a car that is from out of state, other then that, no inspection, sniffers, stickers, nothing. Its pretty cool comming from Massachusetts who is as strict if not worse then Cali.
WagonMafia
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

You're from MA originally? We finally got a trike classification, so I'm happy as it'll be easier to get a VIN for it. Previously, nobody knew what to do with an enclosed 3-wheeler, but now it has a classification and only has to meet motorcycle specs. Still, I'm going to build it close to the more stringent car specs as possible as I plan on driving it across country and would like to avoid harassment as much as possible. As far as the rest, I lived in Detroit and that made me a fan of car inspection and I hate the smell and sound of 2-strokes so I'm glad I don't have to see such things... Not that there's really any place to use them on the north coast of Boston. Would make it a hell of a lot easier to get a home-built on the road, but you got to take the good with the bad, I guess.
WagonMafia
First Gear

Post by WagonMafia »

Beverly!? I lived in Norwood! lol... small world. GO SOX!!!!
WagonMafia
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Interesting. I worked at a cell site there a couple times. The Maserati dealership actually shows up in my third book.
rally2.5rs
In Neutral

Post by rally2.5rs »

for flares on my 94 wagon, im converting to a coupe/sedan (i'll start a build thread), i used mk3 supra front fenders i had to cut to size, then re fiberglass, they stick out about 2-3 inches over stock and look like an sti fender. for rears, i cut rear 1/4 panels from a 84 z28 camaro (of all things) they stick out like an sti but also have a little extra flare which sticks out 3 inches over stock
Straight roads are for fast cars, curvy roads are for fast drivers
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

Like this eh. I think it's kind of cool. I like them on older cars a lot, but the subarus are more of a modern type car which you dont see with that style flare too much. so it is defintely a little different.

1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

The bolt-on flares don't match the BC styling. Boxed flares would look better, but would be so much more work. The rears would especially be a pain. See inspiring thread here: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... l+widebody
90 L+ wgn
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

A plan I had back a few years was to flare the box fenders to make something resembling a 22B Legacy wagon. Lot of work. You'd have to do the doors and gas lid to match and in the end, you still have a car with a suspension that isn't optimized for track and just added weight and drag. Would look bad ass, though, so I put it in my second book. Then I think I took the wide-body part out.

I like those bolt ons on older cars, too, but looks a little out of place on these. Then again, they are much cheaper and easier and if the main thing is performance, who cares what it looks like? I think those would look cool on a EA81 hardtop since the styling is pretty '70's.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Shit that GC looks sick! Hmmm....
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
RCKSTR
In Neutral

Post by RCKSTR »

206er wrote:Like this eh. I think it's kind of cool. I like them on older cars a lot, but the subarus are more of a modern type car which you dont see with that style flare too much. so it is defintely a little different.

thats hot!!!
91 leggy SS, work in progress...

04 wrx w/ jdm twinscroll and lots more... 300whp :-)
beanis05
First Gear

Re: fender flares

Post by beanis05 »

no that gc in not hot
its fuckin smokin hot
1990 Subaru Legacy L 89k auto to 5 speed winter daily driver
2004 Subaru WRX 80k
1988 Mazda Rx7 vert > Turbo 2 trans swap
1993 Honda Civic Vx Gutted
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

^ Me wants that car ^ :mrgreen:
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
tireboy
In Neutral

Post by tireboy »

hot car, I want it. I`m also fitting similar flares in the (hopefully) near future, so I`ll be watching this thread with interest. My tentative plan is 185/60/13 on 13x7 minilite replica for the front, and 205/60/13 on 13x8 minilite replica for the rear. The car is currently lowered by 30mm (just over an inch), so I`m hoping that combo will all look good...but will be interested to hear from those in the know!