1991 Legacy Turbo 5mt - [SOLD]

Got something for sale? Need to sell a part? Got some stuff on auction that you want to let us know about?

(Legacy Central BBS is not responsible for any arbitration between its users relative to this forum.
Play nice and deal straight)

Moderators: Helpinators2, Moderators

Forum rules
Please see the NEW Parts Shed Rules before posting: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewto ... 15&t=55814

Sales of parts and parting cars only. Complete or parted car posts should be made in Car Lot: http://www.bbs.legacycentral.org/viewforum.php?f=32
Alphius
Fourth Gear

1991 Legacy Turbo 5mt - [SOLD]

Post by Alphius »

Due to several reasons I've decided to sell the Radio Flyer that I acquired a month and a half ago. :(
I'm looking to get about $2100 or so from it, selling at a bit of a loss. This car packs in a lot of value, and with a little more TLC could easily be a $4000 car.

Previously owned by Lee on the forum, here's what he has to say about the motor and transmission:
skid542 wrote:Powerplant – Stock EJ22T with 140k on it. This motor was previously in my 93’SS which was an AT and I swapped to a 5mt about 10-12k ago. I mention this because it means the thrust bearing should be in great shape. I have raced the motor in two seasons of auto-x without troubles. I never removed the stock fuel cut so my boost was limited I also never ran a turbo bigger than a VF-11. I ran the motor with a TMIC for a little while until I switched to a water/alky injection system. The motor has always had Valvoline oil since I owned it and changed at 3k religiously.

Drivetrain – 03’ WRX 5mt transmission. When I bought this car the transmission has been converted to RWD and the transmission ate the aft most shaft bearing in the tailhousing. To fix this I swapped the entire tailhousing with the one from my 96’ OBW. The center diff works great – I routinely drive in snow and know the center diff works… This is important to note that as it means the transfer gears are 1:1 and not the 1.1:1 like the stock WRX transmission. This means that the car needs a 3.90 rear diff and not the 3.45 WRX. However, the car already has the 3.90 VLSD in the rear. When I was fixing the transmission I split the main case and cleaned it well and inspected all the gears. Everything looks great inside and so I put it all back together – I never broke the main shafts down. The transmission runs strong, shifts well. It does have a small fluid leak which appears to be around the passenger axle seal. It’s not significant but will leave a small damp spot. When I put it back together I put fresh Valvoline 75W90 into the case.
Here's my take on what's going on.

The Good:
- Clean title
- 3” Stainless TBE, bellmouth downpipe
- VF-11 with MBC included running 10psi on a Saab 900 TMIC
- 03’ WRX transmission
- Excedy stage 1 clutch and flywheel
- 3.90 rear LSD
- GrpN motor mounts
- GrpN tranny mount
- GrpN pitchstop
- ABS delete the right way with non-ABS lines
- AC delete
- New/recent components
*** New OEM HG 15k ago
*** New OEM timing belt 15k ago
*** New OEM radiator 15k ago
*** New throwout bearing 12k ago
*** New sparkplugs 20 miles ago
- Perfect Power 6 included and the wiring is installed. Bridging plug currently installed but the PP6 works great, it's just stock right now so needs no tuning.
- Yakima rack system included but not installed
- Side skirts
- Mudflaps
- Upgraded front endlinks
- Alignment for -0.5 camber all around and 0 toe
- All CV axles in good shape, one brand new
- Stock suspension but it’s still good with good rebound/damping
- Stock brakes but they’re like new, the rotors show no signs of ridging or lips around the periphery, the calipers have been painted red to match the car – looks pretty sharp.
- Good tires with lots of rubber left, on stock wheels
- Exterior is in great shape. The hood and bumper is painted flat black but otherwise is in good order. There are a few normal door dings.
- Interior is in good shape – drivers seat has a tear in the side bolster but everything else is top notch.
- Sparco steering wheel
- AVO boost gauge and Autometer boost gauge included, the Autometer is hooked up right now
- New Washington plates and tags
- All power accessories work flawlessly (except the sunroof)

The Bad:
- Power steering pump or lines leak a little, but PS works fine
- No stereo head unit or front speakers – the wiring is there and it has a Pioneer plug for the deck
- Missing the fender liners. They are missing because the car previously was slammed and the clearance was needed.
- Sunroof leaks a bit if the car sits in a heavy downpour and the sunroof motor only works when the weather is warm. Sale includes a new motor and control unit, just have to swap them out
- Terminator style short shifter, maybe it looks cool or something but I dislike it. Suppose it could be a good thing if you're the right person. :P See pictures

The car runs great and pulls smooth and strong. No check engine light, and it comes with a load of extra parts:

- FMIC and piping, but the piping is for an under-intake setup and will need to be redone
- Extra radiator
- Extra sunroof motor and control box
- Extra seatbelt motor
- Yakima rack setup (towers and bars), not installed but includes everything to install
- Battery box and hold downs for a trunk relocated battery
- Catch can with silicone lines
- Stock intake elbow if you don't want the Saab TMIC on there
- Extra spoiler

So really, this car is close to being a strong, fast runner. It needs a turbo, injectors and a tune on the PP6 to be pushing 300chp pretty easily and chasing those STi guys down. Just needs someone with some TLC to make it shine again. It's already fun to drive and very smooth. I get usually 22-23mpg on my commute with it. I've driven it close to 1500 miles since I bought it and had no problems except for fixing the ones outlined in Lee's For Sale thread.

Here's a couple links to other info about it on the BBS:
When Lee was selling it: http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=43361
Kelly's Build thread from a couple years back, what it could look like again. ;) :http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=35740

And the pictures!

Last edited by Alphius on Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Re: FS: 1991 Legacy Turbo 5mt - Radio Flyer

Post by skid542 »

Sorry to hear you're selling it. From your PM it sounds like you're making the right decision for you though.

This car has lots of potential, lots. It should also be noted that it has a 'new' used coolant expansion tank I put on. It's a nice leak-free tank. I sold the car for a loss because I wanted/needed it gone. Even at the price Alphius is asking - it's a steal!

Not to mention Alphius was, and has been, a solid honest guy to do business with. He won't do you wrong.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Thanks for the good words Lee.

I gave it a chance to replace my daily driver but I'm not in a position to keep this many cars and I need to see one go. Kind of the same situation Lee sold it under. I would love to see it go to someone on here, but I've also got it up on Craigslist for a little more money.
John Drivesabox
Second Gear

Post by John Drivesabox »

I just saw this up on CL, glad to see the price is already down from there, if I wasn't interested before....

I hate to give you a NASIOC reply, but if you still have this when I fly back into Seattle on July 28th, well, you know the rest. I've been looking for another SS since I sold mine in 2006, but I have to deploy in August, I may just wait until I get back to finally get my ass back in an SS. I'm sure this is a great deal for anyone who picks it up.
[quote="George McFly"] Hey you, get your damn hands off her!
[/quote]

Navy Chief, what's your specialty?
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

On here is my almost break even price, because I think the car should go to someone from the BBS, rather than anywhere else. I have a few people interested, but my policy is and always will be that the first to show with cash gets the car. :-D Thanks for the interest.
nicklmort
In Neutral

Re: 1991 Legacy Turbo 5mt - [SOLD]

Post by nicklmort »

Told a buddy of mine about this and he jumped on it right away. Went up to Chehalis where gabe lives and picked her up the next day. Everything went very well and Gabe was a great person to do business with.

Had a couple issues in the last few days though. I beat on her a little bit on the test drive as did my buddy while getting on the freeway. But when we lined up to do a freeway pull to see how she compared to mine she jumped to 20 pounds :O Pulled over on the next exit to see what was wrong and the bolt, spring, and ball in the mbc were gone. So I told him to stay out of boost completely on the way home and we went and picked up a hallman the next day. Took her up a small mountain behind the town we live in and when we got to the top the plastic nipples coming out of the coolant resiviour decided to blow off. Luckily gabe included an extra one in the deal so I did it right there with a screwdriver and a pair of channel locks. All was good. Then when we got down the rear end started howling. And that brings us to now. Ill keep you guys updated!
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Re: 1991 Legacy Turbo 5mt - [SOLD]

Post by Kelly »

OH

MY

GOD.

Has anyone run a Carfax on this thing?

This has got to be the 6th or 7th owner since me?

I think I was the fourth owner when I bought it.

This has got to be some sort of record.......

LOLZ.