The Ur-Outback? My Allroad/XC treatment on the '93 wagon

Show us your Legacy pictures and videos.

Moderator: Moderators

Aerotech
Fourth Gear

The Ur-Outback? My Allroad/XC treatment on the '93 wagon

Post by Aerotech »

Here's some shots of my Allroad clone project. Sort of an Outback prototype, before all the cladding and flares when it was just a paint job. This started with stripping the paint off the bumpers for life in the city, guess I got carried away. :P All the black is Rustoleum satin, applied with a Preval sprayer.

I set up the wheel arch "flares" by drawing an arc from the wheel center on a string. It's a little awkward on the rear from some angles, I think. The trim on the doors was necessitated by removing the "ding guards" that were on the car, and riveted to the doors, leaving holes when removed. It's a bit too busy, but much better than what was there.

Note the ride height difference when the air suspension is set on high...

Here's what I'm doing with the door panels; first is the original peanut butter

Now after getting some dark brown and taupe leather

Tough to get those compound curves right. :?
I plan on adding more dark leather accents around the interior, and eventually the dash as well.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: The Ur-Outback? My Allroad/XC treatment on the '93 wagon

Post by evolutionmovement »

Looks pretty good with that sand color. Yeah, the rear arch isn't a single radius. I have a tracing I was going to use to rebuild the arches before I got some parts car ones and I was surprised how squared off they actually are. Definitely, the interior work is an improvement.

I hate those damn rub strips, too—my GL wagon and 260Z (even worse) had those stupid things. At least they could've used double-sided tape!
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
DevC
First Gear

Post by DevC »

You need to do from the trim down in black too, but looks good otherwise
93 Turbo Wagon, 5mt swap, vlsd, sti slanty, vf10, alk, subframe lockout, gr2's, sti sways.
96 F-350 CCLB Powerstroke
89 Volvo 244, lsx swap
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

Yeah, I considered doing that... I have to mock it up first with black paper or plastic to see how it looks, that's an awful lot of area. I do need to finish blacking out the trim on the doors. I have a Gen2 spoiler to put on too, painted that black. Planning on tinting the windows.
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen