Timing belt change soon

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Timing belt change soon

Post by Legacy777 »

I've got roughly 6,000 miles until the "scheduled" timing belt replacement interval, but due to the fact I'm going to replacing the pullies I figured why not do everything all at once.

So here's all the stuff I'm planning to get. Feel free to let me know if I forgot anything.

new timing belt
new tensioner
front crank seal
front cam seals
rear pass. cam seal
oil pump o-ring
locktite screws on backing plate of oil pump

Is there a gasket on the back of the oil pump?

I had the water pump replaced at the 120k mi t-belt change so it should be good for another 60k.

Anything else??
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

thermostat and hoses maybe?
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
morgie
Third Gear

Re: Timing belt change soon

Post by morgie »

Legacy777 wrote: Is there a gasket on the back of the oil pump?
Nope, you have to use some Gasket Maker. You can see the orange stuff on the picture.

http://public.fotki.com/morgie/morgie/o ... large.html
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Did the hoses & t-stat not too long ago, so they should be fine.

Thanks for the info on the oil pump. I'll have to get some of that crap.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

You're straight. That's more than I did. I found the cam seals dry as a bone, so I left them alone. :roll: Probably shoulda done them anyway...

Replacing the tensioner is a very good idea. The old one probably isn't performing at 100%, and then you don't have to do any weird compression procedures...

You konw how to take the crank pulley off, so that's no problem. The only thing you will need to get beforehand is a steering wheel puller to get the crank sprocket off. As far as I'm concerned, that's the only reasonable way to get it off... I was able to remove the seals with a flathead screwdriver, but I was careful not to nick any seating surfaces...

Leaving the water pump alone will save you boocoos of time, but you might hafta remove the radiator to take the sprockets off...

And as for removing cam sprockets, I have heard to loosen the nuts while the timing belt is still on and tight... Same with putting them on, just put the belt on and tighten it and then you can put the nust back on...

That's pretty much it, I think...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

The only thing you will need to get beforehand is a steering wheel puller to get the crank sprocket off. As far as I'm concerned, that's the only reasonable way to get it off...
!!

When i first tried to remove it... i was looking at it trying to figure out how to use the puller to remove that sprocket... then a friend pulled on it with is hands and it came right off quite easily !!

I did it the same way to remove it from my project ej22T : bare hands. It's not tight-fit, it's loose on the shaft. may be a little bit thight with the time, but should not be a big problem to remove.
morgie
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

subyluvr2212 wrote:Leaving the water pump alone will save you boocoos of time, but you might hafta remove the radiator to take the sprockets off...
Were you trying to say "beacoup de temps"? Sorry, that just stuck out.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Morgie, mine was on there good. VERY good! I tried prying it off with a screwdriver, and after no luck and afraid I'd damage the oil pump, I got the puller...

Brat, I don't have any idea what you said, I know more Balinese than French! :lol: I don't even know if I spelled "boocoos" right, I just meant a lot of time...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

not too worried about the gear. if you lube the crankshaft up....it should come off. I've got a 3 jaw puller set anyway.

For the cam sprockets I've got impact guns ;) but I'll probably try to loosen them with the belt still on.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

cam sprokets are quite easy to remove with an impact gun. just hold the sproket with you hand, should be enought :)
morgie
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

When I did mine the crank pulley came right off by hand. The cam sprockets I had a friend hold a strap wrench on them while I used the breaker bar ( it worked but probably isn't the best way). The only real hard part of the job was getting the damn seals out. I had to drill into them, screw in self tapping screws, then pull them out. The crank seal was blown and the reason I did the job in the first place, even though when I got in there the timing belt was cracking and at least 1 tooth of the timing mark :shock: but the cam seals were bone dry. I replaced them anyways since I already had them and didn't want to have to get in there again any time soon. When I bought my seals from Subaru the parts guy sold me an o-ring style gasket too saying I would need it. Here's my question, is this for the right rear or the left front behind the bearing cap? I didn't know for sure, so I didn't use it. My pass. side valve cover is leaking pretty bad but it's all at the back (towards the firewall) dripping on my up-pipe. Could this actually be my rear cam seal? If so how hard is it to replace the rear cam seal on the pass. side?
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

humm, don't know, but here is some picture to help you :)

On this one it looks easy since the turbo is removed...
http://public.fotki.com/morgie/morgie/o ... large.html
(get originaly uploaded photo)

this is how it looks when everything is there..

http://public.fotki.com/morgie/morgie/o ... 9_img.html

On this photo, i guess you can remove the cover with a bit of contorsionning, and after removing 2-3 hoses :)

http://public.fotki.com/morgie/morgie/o ... 8_img.html

You're sure it's not just a cracked hose ? (oil hoses are made of metal, may be corroded.) ...

Good luck ! :)
morgie
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The O-ring is for the oil line assembly that comes off the cam in the passenger rear.

On the n/a cars it's simply a backing plate. extremely easy to change.

More then likely that is leaking as well as the grommets on the valve covers. I replaced the valve cover gaskets as well as the grommets. When pulling them off I'm pretty sure most if not all the leaks were coming from the grommets. Replace that O-ring, valve cover gaskets & grommets.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

oups, forgot you had a NA ej22 :)

my bad hehe
morgie
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Ya the grommets look to be leaking too. Well at least I already have the o-ring. Thanks
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Anyone know the part # for the o-ring that needs replaced on the oil pump? The diagram in the parts book isn't the best....so I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing. I may just call the dealer and ask them as well as order all the stuff.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

if you mean the small o-ring between the pump and the block it should be 806919050.

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Is that the o-ring that needs to be replaced when taking the pump off and resealing it?

Everyone always says there's an o-ring that needs to be replaced, and I had assumed it was between the pump and the backing plate...but I guess I'm wrong.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

yes, the fsm only lists one o-ring

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

thanks thawa......now I just need to find which dealer will give me the best price....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I got all my parts from subaruparts.com.....really was surprised...got everything right away....they seem ok as long as they have the parts in stock....otherwise....I'd probably go some place else.

Two questions. Do I need a special tool or know how to remove the cam/crank seals? What about putting them back on?

I think I asked in another thread, but what type of sealant did any of you guys use on the back of the oil pump.....subaru uses the 3bond....according to what opie got done on his car....however they may have used that on the water pump....not sure.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

You can tear the hell out of the old seals if you want. The only part to be careful of is scratching the crank/cam. I have a set of 90 degree needle nose that I stick between the seal and shaft then twisting the handle pulls the seal out. If the seal is close to the edge you can also stick a knife between the engine and the outside edge of the seal and pry it out.

Look at your old seals and realize the outer side of the seal does nothing, its more of the rear of the seal that keeps oil from the outer edge.

To put them back on I usually take a ratchet with a small hex bit installed. Dip the seal in oil then slide it on as far as you can go with your fingers. Then use the ratchet and a rubber mallet to slowly push the edge moving it in so it doesnt go crooked. Once I used a deep 1 inch drive 32mm socket to push it in.

I just did this last weekend so its fresh in my mind. I didnt do the oil pump so I cant help with that part.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Cool, thanks ciper.

I should go get some needle nose pliers like that.....excuse for more tools :)

I'll have to take a look at my sockets....may have something that will work.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The Subaru dealer told me to only use the supplied aluminum gasket with the water pump and no goopy stuff. No problems in 50k.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
bean
First Gear

Have you done the work yet?

Post by bean »

I'm about to do this on a car I just bought and am curious if you've done this yet?

I'm trying to get a list of stuff together, and so far I'm doing everything you are - I'm just curious if there is something else you may have come across while doing this job.

So far my list is:
Cam seals
front main seal
timing belt
timing belt tensioner
valve covers gasket and grometts
water pump
oil re-seal

Are there any idlers that may need replacing?

Thanks!

Rabin